Home Precious Metals
Options

Not perfect ASE

Well I am curious first do people care for them and then how much over spot would you pay for scratched or inferior coins.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    still a valued piece of bullion. I would expect to get at least $1 over spot, maybe more.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many people are persnickety about their ASEs tho it's not always clear why they should be. A 1 ounce ASE is still 1 ounce of silver. Pinehurst Coin Exchange doesn't exactly give them away cheap. Mostly, it's an excuse for some dealers to lowball you.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No more than one dollar over spot.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    personallly...i have bought and sold many oz of silver in all forms....people do seem to care about condition....i always found it easier to sell nice condition eagles....my scratched eagles only got half a buck above spot in the past....i only keep the nice stuff now
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy em as close to spot as possible.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    If I were to buy ASE's over spot these days, I'd wait for a good sale say from Apmex on ebay and get a tube of 20,
    rather than buy junk. Say I was at a shop and the owner said spot plus $1, I may get some to support the store as well.

Now, I'd buy lesser quality, for spot or a bit less as condition dictates. If I bought from someone inexperienced at say a flea
    market, I'd want an even better deal to make it worth it and the risk. (I always laugh at that 'guy' whose been trying
    to sell one for +$10 thinking its something special. If however I was selling them at a flea market, I'd only take +$5 over.)

If it were a certain date I needed, maybe a bit more.

COA
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: tneig

If I were to buy ASE's over spot these days, I'd wait for a good sale say from Apmex on ebay and get a tube of 20,

rather than buy junk. Say I was at a shop and the owner said spot plus $1, I may get some to support the store as well.

Now, I'd buy lesser quality, for spot or a bit less as condition dictates. If I bought from someone inexperienced at say a flea

market, I'd want an even better deal to make it worth it and the risk. (I always laugh at that 'guy' whose been trying

to sell one for +$10 thinking its something special. If however I was selling them at a flea market, I'd only take +$5 over.)

Where do you find maroons to sell ASEs for spot or less?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN

Originally posted by: tneig

Flea markets and garage sales where people sell older rolls for older prices. They don't follow the prices and don't know any better. Sometimes you have to drive around or walk around for hours but theres deals out there if the person isn't informed. More often you're going to find the guy asking $40/coin who has been trying to sell them for 5 years and still has them.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My experience at flea markets has always been inflated silver prices.....I was at two antique shops this weekend and they wanted $30 each for circ Morgans (nothing special), PLUS tax.

Needless to say, I did not buy any. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    People who want to sell them, maybe lesser conditions, or take advantage of having a buyer right in front of them, or those that know the price is moving down, results of a bargain. Seen ads on FB and craigs, and some that have responded to mine. I thought they were reasonable. I bought some silver from a personal collector at a flea market and at the end of the day I bought out what he had left for crazy prices.

If I had a sale up for sometime and the market was dropping, I wouldn't turn down a deal that I knew would be even less in 12 hours, etc. What I think is crazy is that guy that wants $10 over and takes it back home every day.

I can imagine a shop may have stricter criteria.

COA