Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

At what point do lengthening turnaround times impact demand?

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
World coin turnarounds seem to be stretching further and further out. With economy now at 40 days, regular at 30 days and express at 13, this mean realistically nearly 1 month bare minimum if express and perhaps 3 months for economy.

At what point given the relative strength and speed of NGC in this space does the extended time actually lead to demand destruction?

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Years ago I asked Chris at NEN why they use NGC for their World coins. At that time he said it was because of the quick turnaround times. If you feel NGC and PCGS coins will be valued the same, and you are in the game to resell, I think you would use NGC over PCGS which has ridiculous turnaround times. My current submission took two weeks after arrival to even be listed.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup - turnaround times are pretty bad compared to US submissions or NGC. 10 working days on Express has been an average for years, so I'm not too surprised to see 13 days currently. It sucks and probably costs our hosts quite a bit of business, since as Ajaan has pointed out, a number of large world coin dealers don't find it appropriate to wait over a month for a regular submission to come back.

Anyone submitted to PCGS Europe? It says 2-3 weeks turnaround on their website and doesn't differentiate between grading tiers.
  • Options
    I submit often to PCGS Europe living over here. I hit the grading week last week and had a shipment to grade posted turnaround of 1 week for three orders at various tiers. Love the program. Costs a bit more per coin but less other fees.

Regular submission outside of the grading week is about at US averages +/-.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Boosibri

tick tock

Yup, both of my express submissions (grading and cross-over) are on the 11th business day, but I don't think I'll make the registry cut-off. Most likely will get grades early next week.

(sad panda)
  • Options
    I think I'm day 12-13 on the express.
  • Options
    Day 38 on my economy.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this would be their slow season with quick turnarounds.

Not so much?

I have 67 coins on the US side in two different tiers. I expect the Regular Tier lot to come in end of next week and Economy to come in two weeks after.

Long time since I've even wanted to ship out World stuff for grading due to the fees and slow turn around.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

World coin turnarounds seem to be stretching further and further out. With economy now at 40 days, regular at 30 days and express at 13, this mean realistically nearly 1 month bare minimum if express and perhaps 3 months for economy.

At what point given the relative strength and speed of NGC in this space does the extended time actually lead to demand destruction?

Last order took nearly 3 months...have another regular in house since 5/5. Brutal!!

Almost takes the joy out of making your own coins.

I talked to them on Tuesday. Said they are really behind on World. 2-3 months for Regular. Forget economy.

They just might not care about turn around times...If there is no premium competition, nor threat of decline in demand, there might be no imminent reason to spend $$ to improve something unless either of the two market pressures change.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mercurydimeguyIf there is no premium competition...

What does "no premium competition" mean? Care to expand a bit more on that thought?

I'd consider people taking their business to NGC to be valid competition pressure...especially, since (IMO) NGC still has the preference of most non-USA world coin collectors (except the Aussies and the 8 Reales portrait series collectors it seems).

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    Turnaround times now posted for last week. All world areas saw increases in times. 15 days now on "Express" which really means about a month when you factor in business days. Regular and economy are now nearly converged at 36 days and 44 days respectively. The US at 5 days should be the standard for world grading and I still believe is a big hindrance to growing PCGS market penetration. I actually might pack an order to NGC to move some raw coins which otherwise I'd prefer in PCGS holders for resale so I am answering my own question.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TwoKopeiki

tick tock

Yup, both of my express submissions (grading and cross-over) are on the 11th business day, but I don't think I'll make the registry cut-off. Most likely will get grades early next week.

(sad panda)

Have your submissions come back? Mine is still in process on day 15 for express.
  • Options
    My Economy arrived 5/6/16 and was shipped 7/1/16

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Still waiting on my 2 express submissions, as well. Frustrating, but what can you do.
  • Options
    My grading submission just posted:

81209096 263357 1802-Mo FT/M 8 R XF45 Mexico

81209097 403216 1811-Mo HJ 8 R Draped XF45 Mexico

Still waiting on the cross-over.

• Options
    For those wondering about the low grades:

1802 FT/M is the scarce variety and the first one certified by PCGS

1811-HJ Draped Bust is a colorful coin that fits an open slot in the set, but more importantly it was my present to my-then-girlfriend-now-fiancé years ago early in our relationship that she kept carefully wrapped in a napkin all this time. Nice memento that should be protected.
  • Options
    Photos Roman?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I think I have some at home - will post a separate thread when the other order grades.
  • Options
    How many days for your express?
  • Options
    They logged both orders on the 16th, so 15 work days for this one - we'll see about the cross-over.
  • Options
    New week - new turnaround times. World Express is now at 20 work days.

After these, I'm done with using PCGS for anything I'm planning to sell and will just do 1-2 submissions a year for my personal collection.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today was day 36 for a Cayman Island gold piece I submitted at the PCGS Members Only show in New Orleans in May.

That is the time frame currently posted on the site for regular submission.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Yorkshireman

Today was day 36 for a Cayman Island gold piece I submitted at the PCGS Members Only show in New Orleans in May.

That is the time frame currently posted on the site for regular submission.

Have you accounted for all holidays and days when PCGS was at a show? Those all come out to get to the number of business day