Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My recent Goldberg purchase

I thought I would share a recent purchase and the events leading up to it with

all of you.

It began weeks ago when the lots for the upcoming Long Beach auctions were finally posted.

I had quite an extensive watch list for the Goldberg and Heritage auctions.

I have been trying to force myself to diversify into U.S. coins a little more heavily.

Without much success, I might add.

I'm not sure exactly why, other than they tend to be a little more liquid than medals if I decide to liquidate a few.

I went over my lists several times and tried to focus on fewer pieces. Yeah right.

The Goldberg auction was first so I tried to decide which pieces to try harder for.

I kept coming back to one piece in particular.

I usually don't fight really hard for pieces that I am not familiar with and I had absolutely no

auction records for this piece. I looked at the auction estimate (which I know is usually low) and decided on a price.

Since I didn't know exactly when the piece would actually sell ,or even which day, I decided to place a bid early. I was high for maybe an hour and then was outbid.

A couple days before the auction started I decided to just go ahead and bid what I had decided on. Same scenario. I was high bidder for a very short time.

Now what?

I went through all the lots for both auctions but by this time I really wanted this medal!!!

Nothing else really interested me.

I helped talk myself into it by saying, "Hey dummy. You may never get another chance at

one of these." image

I keep checking constantly and the bid stays where it is.

The auction runs for two days and we still aren't up to my lot.

I know it will come up on day three but I think it will be after I get home from work.

For some reason I decide to check on things just before leaving work and we are only 3 lots away.

O.k. panic mode. I'm going to buy this.

Lot opens and I start clicking. We're sorry someone was faster than you.

Crap. click, click, please wait on auctioneer to acknowledge bid.

Auctioneer is rummaging around on the floor for something. He finally acknowledges the

previous bid. Bid is $420 click $440 click click $460 click click click click $480.

I'm clicking here!!! Come on!

$500 $#!* that is the one I wanted!!!! $525 still clicking. You are high bidder.

Finally! Fair warning. Fair warning. Lot closes for $525.

I rush to check my won items. It's there!!!

I have chased items before and regretted it. When you win at auction it usually means

that you wanted an item more than anyone else in the known universe.

I have absolutely no regrets on this piece. It embodies everything that I love about medals.

It is a pure work of art. The medalist need not worry about how the die will hold up or how the design will hold up in circulation.

Both sides tell a story of a great moment in history.

Here is a link to Wikipedia for those interested in a little more history on the piece.

Battle of Callao

Enough rambling. Here is my new favorite piece.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb. Nothing wrong with spending for medals with such engraving.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on acquiring a beautiful medal!
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous medal! What's the diameter? Any idea on number struck?

Superb artistry, congrats!!!
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the description from Goldberg saying it is 76 mm:

Originally posted by: Goldberg Coins
    Peru. Medal, 1866 NGC MS65. BDM II/15. Bronze. 76 mm. By Harry Emanuel (British). Caliao Defense Alliance Obverse: Four Amazons representing Argentina, Peru, Ecuador and Chile swearing mutual allegiance against Spain. Reverse; Aerial view of the bombardment of Callao by the Spanish fleet. NGC graded In jumbo holder, MS-65. Estimated Value $100 - 150

Here's another description from Baldwin's saying it is scarce.

Originally posted by: Baldwin's Auction 49 Lot 1414
    The American Alliance and the Battle of Callao 1866, Bronze Medal, by Harry Emanuel, four
    Amazons representing Argentina, Peru, Ecuador and Chile swear mutual allegiance against Spain, ALIANZA AMERICANA DE MDCCCLXVI on border around, rev aerial view of the bombardment of Callao by the Spanish fleet, above two armed female figures representing Peru and Chile, 76mm (BDM II/15). Good very fine, scarce. £60-80

Forrer notes the medallist for this medal only, and Emanuel’s signature has London after it. The medal is also known signed by Charles Wiener. The ‘Alianza Americana’ was formed to prevent Spain’s ambitions to regain Peru, which were thwarted after Spain’s naval bombardment of Callao in 1866. Spain recognised Peruvian independence in 1879.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    What a magnificent piece. Great purchase. I would be proud to own that myself.image
  • Options
    desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    Great piece. Enjoy it!
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    The female allegorical representations of each country and the beautifully detailed battle scene with Peru and Chile flying above make this a singularly amazing example of medallic art.

I sincerely congratulate you on a fine addition to your collection!

A bit of historical background for the benefit of the forum:

Having lost most of its colonies in the early 19th century and suffered severe economic downturns as a result of that and other disruptive events, Spain was jubilant at their victories in Africa in 1859-1860. Bolstered by this success they returned to South America in 1862. Spain sent a "scientific expedition" comprised of warships to take control of the Chincha islands off the coast of Peru. The political and financial wrangling behind all of this is complex, but it soon led to Spain's destruction of Chile's merchant fleet at Valparaiso and then the Battle of Callao.

The Battle of Callao took place on 2 May 1866 between a Spanish fleet and and a smaller Peruvian fleet supported by many powerful shore guns. The battle was one of the first of its size between ironclad vessels in the Pacific and after more than 9 hours there were many casualties on both sides. Having damaged and driven off some of the Peruvian ships and silenced most of the Peruvian shore guns, the Spanish claimed victory. The Peruvians, having badly damaged at least two Spanish ships and prevented an anticipated land invasion, also claimed victory. It is for this reason that medals celebrating the victory of Callao were presented by both Spain and Peru to officers and soldiers of their respective armed forces.

The Spanish medal bears an image of Queen Isabel II obverse and a shield and anchor reverse with inscription: CALLAO / 2 DE MAYO / 1866

And, of course, the Peruvian medal is the subject of the original post.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    masterpiece of engraving, congrats
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for sharing this, it is a delight to look at. You have every right to be proud of it!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the kind words.

A special thanks to PatAr for giving me something else to look for with the spanish medal info. image
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    That can not be described as anything less than impressive. Wonderful piece.
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Very cool!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fabulous piece of medallic art. Congratulations on your acquisition!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb piece! Congrats on winning that! image
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a beautiful medal! Love the history lesson, as well. Got to love the whole "both sides claimed it as a victory" aspect image
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    A superb and historical medal.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    FallGuyFallGuy Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Simply stunning. I love it. The historical context really adds another dimension to your new acquisition.

Congratulations!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic. Neat how the reverse design of the battle so closely matches the painting seen on the Wikipedia page (minus the airborne, sword-wielding allegorical characters).

I had not heard of this battle, nor indeed of the war.

Spain began its campaign by seizing the Chincha Islands, which were rich in guano

So on at least one level, we're talking about a war fought over bird poop. image

(Too bad I can't sell the guano that accumulates on my car within hours of my washing it, huh?)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: rwyarmch
    Wow, a beauty!

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Some of us that voted for LM's medal in the Numismatic Gladiator IIII competition might enjoy the medal also for obvious reasons. My apologies to Stork.image
    Paul