Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The time was right to do something stupid again...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
Every now and then, I buy something that I completely don't need, and would be better off without. Wouldn't have it any other way!

Cataloged by DNW as follows:

Royal Geographical Society, David Livingstone Bearer's Medal, 1874, a silver award by A.B. Wyon, bust of David Livingstone three-quarters right, rev. legend in eight lines, named (Maganga – Faithful To The End), 37mm (Storer 2229; Fearon 325.2; E 1637; cf. Magor 403). Minor surface marks, otherwise very fine and toned, extremely rare, less than 10 specimens now believed extant, four of which are in institutions [British Museum, Livingstone Museum, Zambia, Blantyre Museum, Malawi, and the Royal Geographical Society]; with clip and ring for suspension £3,000-4,000

---

Maganga, listed as recipient no. 35 on the medal roll prepared in the British Consulate in Zanzibar, was one of the party sent up to Livingstone by Henry Stanley in 1872. He is shown as "away with Arab traders" in August 1875, but is known to have met Stanley in the interior in May 1876. Described by Stanley as a tall Mynamwezi, and initially as "a native of Mkwenkwe, a strong faithful servant, an excellent pagazi, with an irreproachable temper", Stanley later tempered his opinion by saying that "he...and his weakly-bodied tribe...were ever falling sick." He added that "on approaching a village the temper of whose people might be hostile to us, Maganga would commence his song, with the entire party joining in the chorus, by which mode we knew whether the natives were disposed to be friendly or hostile."

The story of the missionary and explorer David Livingstone is one of the great epic tales of the Victorian age. Beginning in 1841, his career of African exploration was divided into three phases, the high point of the final chapter, to locate the source of the Nile, being his historic meeting with Henry Morton Stanley at Ujiji on 10 November 1871. After spending four months together, Stanley left Livingstone on 14 March 1872 at Unyanyembe (Tabora) where he remained until the 56 native porters and fresh supplies which Stanley had sent up from the coast arrived to reinforce the expedition. Reaching Lake Tanganyika in October, Livingstone then made for Lake Bangweulu but by the time he arrived there in February 1873 he was seriously ill. Pressing on despite rapidly deteriorating health, towards the end of April he could go no further; his servants built a hut to shelter him at Ilala where he died in the early morning of 1 May. After three days of mourning, his bearers decided unanimously to embalm their master's body and take it back down to the coast from whence it could be returned to England for burial. Going first to Unyanyembe, where they rested for a month, relays of porters carried the body through swamp, desert and forest, eventually reaching the port of Bagamoyo in February 1874. On 18 April 1874 David Livingstone was laid to rest in Westminster Abbey and on 22 June of the same year the Council of the Royal Geographical Society resolved to award a special medal to all those native servants who had carried Livingstone's body halfway across Africa the previous year. Commissioned from J.S. & A.B. Wyon, 60 silver medals were struck and sent to Zanzibar for distribution. By the time they arrived at the end of June 1875 most of Livingstone's bearers had long since dispersed, including 33 who had joined Stanley's Anglo-American Expedition of 1874-7. In due course, however, many of the recipients received their medals and the details are contained in the archives of the Royal Geographical Society in London. For further information and the full medal roll, see Faithful to the End by Fred Pridmore and D.H. Simpson, SNC May 1970, pp.192-6, and David Livingstone's Bearers' Medals by Roland Hill, OMRS Journal, December 2008, pp.229-38
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great piece of history there. Congrats.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a really cool piece of history Andy
  • Options
    mudskippiemudskippie Posts: 540 ✭✭
    Did you pay close to £3,000?
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just noticed that JCMhouston joined one day before I did.

He is more talkative than I am though. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mudskippie
    Did you pay close to £3,000?

Hammered at £4,200.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    And to bring it alive just a little bit...

Dr. Livingstone, I presume.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MrEureka
    On 18 April 1874 David Livingstone was laid to rest in Westminster Abbey and on 22 June of the same year the Council of the Royal Geographical Society resolved to award a special medal to all those native servants who had carried Livingstone's body halfway across Africa the previous year. Commissioned from J.S. & A.B. Wyon, 60 silver medals were struck and sent to Zanzibar for distribution. By the time they arrived at the end of June 1875 most of Livingstone's bearers had long since dispersed, including 33 who had joined Stanley's Anglo-American Expedition of 1874-7. In due course, however, many of the recipients received their medals and the details are contained in the archives of the Royal Geographical Society in London. For further information and the full medal roll, see Faithful to the End by Fred Pridmore and D.H. Simpson, SNC May 1970, pp.192-6, and David Livingstone's Bearers' Medals by Roland Hill, OMRS Journal, December 2008, pp.229-38

Wow, that is a great story! Does the Royal Geographical Society archives have the names of the recipients? Do you know if your medal was awarded to one of those that carried Livingston's body halfway across Africa?
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    That's pretty fantastic.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I get that it's historic, rare, and all that. But as a dealer, shouldn't you have planned your exit strategy before buying it, especially at that price?

It seems to me this is a classic case of being buried in an item. (Ask me how I know! image )
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pruebas
    OK, I get that it's historic, rare, and all that. But as a dealer, shouldn't you have planned your exit strategy before buying it, especially at that price?

It seems to me this is a classic case of being buried in an item. (Ask me how I know! image )

Pruebas - What makes you think that this piece was expensive?
    Andy Lustig

• Options

Wow, that is a great story! Does the Royal Geographical Society archives have the names of the recipients? Do you know if your medal was awarded to one of those that carried Livingston's body halfway across Africa?

According to the DNW catalog description above, yes and yes. The bearer's name was Maganga.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful piece of history - congratulations on acquiring it!
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting historical medal.

Is the recipient Maganga's name on the medal anywhere?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Originally posted by: WillieBoyd2

I expect that it is engraved on the edge. We'll see when it arrives.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Didn't you say it hammered for GBP4200? With the vig, that's about $7500.

I think most would consider that an expensive medal.
  • Options

Isn't that why it's called a bearer's medal?
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One interesting note:

The clasp on the Livingstone medal looks like the clasp on this San Francisco schools medal:

San Francisco Samuel Bridge Medal awarded to Frank O'Donnell in 1895

I asked about the name Maganga on the Livingstone medal because the description implies that the name and "Faithful To The End" are on the medal.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

Isn't that why it's called a bearer's medal?

I thought they referred to it as a "bearer's medal" because the recipient carried Livingstone's body. I could be wrong, of course.

Andy Lustig

• Options

Pruebas - I was under the impression that you thought I was buried in this piece because the price was expensive for this particular piece. Now, I'm completely confused. Are you actually suggesting that any medal priced at $7500 (or, presumably, more) must be a "burial"? If so, I must respectfully disagree.

Andy Lustig

• Options

Pruebas - I was under the impression that you thought I was buried in this piece because the price was expensive for this particular piece. Now, I'm completely confused. Are you actually suggesting that any medal priced at $7500 (or, presumably, more) must be a "burial"? If so, I must respectfully disagree.

No, it's not just the price.

The medal (and all medals) have a limited market. That market is further reduced by the price. And further reduced (at least here in the States) by the limited interest in the topic. Then further reduced because it's not UNC. And finally, you paid (what appears to me to be) retail for it.

Please prove to me that I'm wrong by selling it for a profit.

I agree with your original comment. You'd be better off without this piece.

• Options
    The medal (and all medals) have a limited market. That market is further reduced by the price. And further reduced (at least here in the States) by the limited interest in the topic. Then further reduced because it's not UNC. And finally, you paid (what appears to me to be) retail for it.

Well, I completely agree that the market for such items is thin, but many of my best deals have been on thinly-traded items. In fact, I would say that I have had greater success with thinly-traded items than with more mainstream items.

As for the price, I don't doubt that I paid a strong price. However, the piece seems to me like very good value for the money, and I don't think I'm the only one who will see it that way. Time will tell.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I like your taste in stupid! Cool medal and interesting history.

• Options
    Andy, all I can say is I hope you haven't yet paid for it!
  • Options

I wired the money very early this morning. Saved about 8%! image

Unfortunately, the stock market more than offset the windfall.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone bid on Kunker's sale? I can never tell if I had won from their system. Any thoughts?
  • Options

Good deal!

I still can't understand how all the bright minds on Wall Street didn't see this coming. The stock market was up big time Thursday and I, for one (maybe the only one), took advantage by selling into that strength.

Apparently, group-think still rules on Wall Street.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good deal!

I still can't understand how all the bright minds on Wall Street didn't see this coming. The stock market was up big time Thursday and I, for one (maybe the only one), took advantage by selling into that strength.

Apparently, group-think still rules on Wall Street.

The markets have not been free since 2009. The federal reserve has managed risk and with help of politicians and bought media and even Obama in his visit to the UK convinced/scared public into thinking this will not happen. It will replicate across other countries and resent of politicians/media will continue.

• Options
    why do you think you don't need it? Maybe you'll change your mind later... could be?
    Never stop stacking