Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Finally found a decently struck 1921 Peace Dollar

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been looking for one of these for awhile, one that is struck well on both sides. Too many are struck well on one side only, or in most cases, not well on any side. This one is graded PCGS MS-64, has a small planchet flaw in the hair and looks to have original light gold skin on it.

Comments

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Beaut! looks better 'n 64
  • Options
    hickoryridgehickoryridge Posts: 229 ✭✭✭
    appears better than most 65s
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! To get that $2000 jump to the next grade is not easy, but this one has a shot.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice for the year. The small ticks on the neck will probably keep it out of a 65 holder.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was searching for one and would love to have seen yours. I gave up a couple of months ago just because they are so hard to find.......

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well above average strike. Shame for that scratch on Libertys face, otherwise, probably a 65.
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    EVERYONE thinks that their 1921 Peace has a "good strike" or is "better than average." You however, are quite right. This one is nice. Hair is good, eagle feathers are good. Cheek even has a tiny bit of that extra shape the design was supposed to have. Good job.

I am still waiting for the person that says: "here is my typical for the type, weakly struck, 1921 Peace Dollar." Today just isn't the day I guess.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice for a 1921.
  • Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

Very nice! To get that $2000 jump to the next grade is not easy, but this one has a shot.

It's $1000 jump.

Very nice strike on this one. Is it one of the proof die strikes? Looks to have some of the die polish lines markers.

• Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    Best strike I have ever seen on a '21.
    Ed
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks very nice to me.

Strong detail.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. There are better, strike-wise, but only a very few. I like this one quite a bit.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...what a stunner! That has to be the best MS 64 I've ever seen.image
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beauty! Has the same looking fields as mine. Maybe they're struck from the same die.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin, congrats on the pick up.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PutTogether

EVERYONE thinks that their 1921 Peace has a "good strike" or is "better than average." You however, are quite right. This one is nice. Hair is good, eagle feathers are good. Cheek even has a tiny bit of that extra shape the design was supposed to have. Good job.

I am still waiting for the person that says: "here is my typical for the type, weakly struck, 1921 Peace Dollar." Today just isn't the day I guess.

here is my typical for the type, weakly struck, 1921 Peace Dollar.

imageimage

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    Baley -

I gave you a slow clap. Well played.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb coin Elmer...
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one for sure!

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Killer coin!

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 year old thread alert!

• Options
    Nuts4CoinsNuts4Coins Posts: 12
    edited March 27, 2021 2:26PM

Best pic I have because I haven't received it yet... Any ideas on the sell price?

• Options
    KISHU1KISHU1 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

She is a beauty, very well struck
    Congrats
    I’m still looking for one that nice

Frank D

• Options

Can anyone give me Amy feedback on my post of the 1921 Peace Dollar?

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nuts4Coins said:
    Can anyone give me Amy feedback on my post of the 1921 Peace Dollar?

It was well struck - probably struck on the first day. It is circulated now and scuffy, so loses any kind of premium. If it was a nice AU or higher, then it would be worthy of a premium.

thefinn
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering that over one million 1921 Peace dollars were struck in just four days (from dozens of obverse dies...40 were prepared) I doubt that those well-struck happened because it was the first day of production.

This isn't to say it isn't a matter of early die use. But there are lots of other factors too, given all the presses and dies used and their set-up.
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    Considering that over one million 1921 Peace dollars were struck in just four days (from dozens of obverse dies...40 were prepared) I doubt that those well-struck happened because it was the first day of production.

This isn't to say it isn't a matter of early die use. But there are lots of other factors too, given all the presses and dies used and their set-up.
    Lance.

Read Roger Burdette. Initially higher pressures were used to fill the dies. When it was seen how many dies this caused to crack, the pressure was reduced to make the dies last longer. So, the first dies (day one) weren't used enough to wear and develop luster on the coins. The later coins have flatter devices, but lasted long enough to give a cartwheel effect. As Burdette says, you can have a 1921 Peace Dollar with a strong strike or luster, but not both.

thefinn
  • Options

@ElmerFusterpuck Do you still own the coin in the OP? She's a beauty!

• Options

@Walkerfan said:

I still own that coin. I always wanted one for type, and glad I held onto it.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@lkeigwin said:

Lance.

Read Roger Burdette. Initially higher pressures were used to fill the dies. When it was seen how many dies this caused to crack, the pressure was reduced to make the dies last longer.

Thanks. I own and have read RWB's book. And other docs of his (e.g., Common Areas of Weakness on 1921 Peace Dollars).

Logically, coins struck from new, unworn dies should yield the best strike, all else being equal. But we don't know what was going on during those four frantic production days. We're told 20% of one million were minted on Wednesday (day one). And that dies were failing after an average of 25,000 strikes. About 40 obverse dies were available.

Reducing strike pressure is surely something the Mint must have tried to extend die life. But when? As RWB wrote, "since the high-relief design also did not strike properly with one blow from the press an obvious solution was to reduce the relief." (This, of course, didn't happen until the 1922 Peace dollar.)

Morgan reserved 50 coins from the first production run for deFrancisci and "complained that the coin is not what either of them really wanted." Results weren't as expected.
    Lance.

• Options

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

@Walkerfan said:

I still own that coin. I always wanted one for type, and glad I held onto it.

Thanks for responding. You were smart to keep it. :)

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being all 1921 Peace Dollars are High Relief, why do they bother saying High Relief on the slabs. I have heard many people saying that a coin is high relief thinking that meant well struck and obviously #6 is High Relief and not well struck.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    Nice for a 1921.

Nice for a Peace Dollar PERIOD.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting this. One of the reasons I'm holding off on a 1921 Peace is because I need to educate myself on its strike and how that affects price. I'm hoping to locate a coin like @ElmerFusterpuck 's example... nice job!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strike doesn’t affect price as much as you’d think. Really well-struck or really poorly struck coins are affected, but only a little.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    Strike doesn’t affect price as much as you’d think. Really well-struck or really poorly struck coins are affected, but only a little.

No, but it makes them easier to sell - especially to the knowledgeable.

thefinn
  • Options

@BryceM said:

No, but it makes them easier to sell - especially to the knowledgeable.

thefinn
  • Options

@anablep said:
    Thanks for posting this. One of the reasons I'm holding off on a 1921 Peace is because I need to educate myself on its strike and how that affects price. I'm hoping to locate a coin like @ElmerFusterpuck 's example... nice job!

They are worth looking for. I had a customer looking for a fully struck 1921 Peace and told him that it was about 1 in 100 that was well struck, but most have been dipped to death. He finally found a very nice MS62 in a TPG and said that the 1:100 number is low.

thefinn
  • Options

I think one of the best struck Peace dollars I've seen here is owned by @Weiss. His MS-65 rules!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file