Home Precious Metals
Options

Canadian Gold Maple Leafs

DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
Why do the Canadian 1 oz gold Maple Leafs trade for less than some other bullion pieces, such as the American 1 oz gold eagles, and others? Makes no sense to me.
Dr. Pete

Comments

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    In the US market, investors prefer the Gold Eagle.
    The Maple being pure is softer and subject to scratches which some dealers discount.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    That makes some sense. The price I see at apmex is usually about $5-6 cheaper for the Canadian Maple Leafs, and that is probably a convenience/preference factor.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Coulport

The Maple being pure is softer and subject to scratches which some dealers discount.

Isn't the same true of the buffalo gold coins, yet they are right up there with the AGEs?

A couple dealers here pay about $10 more for AGEs than they do for Leafs.
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Gold Buffalos came individually sealed in plastic from the mint. Although I understand this year they came in tubes as do Maples and will suffer the same scuffing and high point rubs. They too may soon see similar price discounts.

One dealer near me prices 'scratched' Maples the same as private mint gold medallions.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For collectors/dealers, some scratches or scuffs are important, for stackers, not so much. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    slendaslenda Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Silver Maple Leaf is a more attractive coin than the ASE in my opinion. ASE is a replica of the walking liberty half and its too wide for a coin. I would sell my ASEs before my silver maple leafs.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I concur with others. I'm sure Maple Leafs are preferred in Canada. For me, Maple Leafs are right up there with U.S. bullion. If I can get a Maple Leaf for cheaper I'll buy it.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when South African Krugerrands were available (cheap) ..., but the U.S. didn't provide gold to it's people. This wass from 1933-1986. Way back in the 70's. It wasn't until '85 that lawmakers began to see "sales" go through the roof for the stuff ( a decade or so, where we lagged in providing the people their money back).
    Now it's available from everywhere there are mines. And Canucks got some deep mines and pockets. But , historically thinking, it's hard to answer that question. Think U.K. Think Queen. Think of good music.

Think PUMP & DUMP. But please think about going long on gold. It's not a bad place to store a bit of wealth, eh ?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Coulport

This.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver Maples are more prone to the spotting issue than ASEs.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    slendaslenda Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb

Silver Maples are more prone to the spotting issue than ASEs.

They are. But just ignore the milk spots. They are original from the mint that way. They are just bullion coins anyway, which is what the RCM says in regards to milk spots that a lot of people complain about. On another related subject ,I don't think the US government cares if people hoard ASE`s, but they are afraid that if they get out into circulation, people will no longer accept the clad coinage and demand silver. Hence the lower face value of only $1 USD compared to Canada`s $5 CDN. Also I feel the ASE is to wide. It looks more like a silver round than a coin imo.

• Options
    DontTellTheWifeDontTellTheWife Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    It all starts with their original cost from the " factory".
  • Options
    Does that hav? anything to do with the metal quality?
    Never stop stacking
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Goldders

spotting affects quality of the finished coin. It does not affect the quality or the content of precious metal it is made from. It is believed to be a result of the fabrication process most likely something to do with a chemical cleaning along the way.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were speaking gold -

The Maple Leaf is .9999 pure gold and therefore much softer then the AGE.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

If you were speaking gold -

The Maple Leaf is .9999 pure gold and therefore much softer then the AGE.

mark

The gold is so soft that I have scratched coins taking them out of a brand new tube right from the Mint. It is why gold Buffalos come individually sealed in annoying plastic.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides US American Gold Eagle bullion/proof coins in IRA's, also allowed are Canadian Gold Maple Leaf coins, Austrian Gold Philharmonic coins, Australian Kangaroo/Nugget coins, Chinese Gold Panda coins, American Gold Buffalo uncirculated coins (proofs not allowed) and gold bars and rounds produced by a NYMEX or COMEX-approved refinery or national government mint, meeting minimum fineness requirements. I'm not recommending IRA's with bullion coins, just that the above coins qualify.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    i prefer 22k coins personally since they are more scratch resistant....gold maples will scratch just putting them into a plastic coin flip or even taking them in and out of a tube.

if you dont like to look at your metal....maples are a good deal to stash away.

if you want to view and analyze and test your purchase...eagles rock.