Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Do you think foreign coins are more valuable in PCGS holders?

I saw a coin which crossed over from across the street to PCGS. The asking price is maybe 10% more than what it generally goes for in auction from the other grading service. Do you think it is preferable?

Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally NOT. If you look at Heritage or Stack's, let alone the major Brit auction houses like Spink, Baldwin, DNW, etc.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In general, no. Things seem much more dependent on the coin, and some series could vary as I've read some people experience tighter grading in one vs. another.

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely not.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Nope, and I won't say anything that might get me banned.
  • ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JCMhouston
    Nope, and I won't say anything that might get me banned.

Ah come on. Live on the edge. Just kidding! I totally agree.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately collectors seem to look at the plastic before looking at the coin in forming a determination as to whether the plastic carries the value of the coin instead of the coin. Not all coins at the same grade level are created equal. And it is that difference that should and often does dictate which coin should sell for more instead of the plastic the coins reside in. I would not get caught up in a circular debate over plastic.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two Canadian coins that appear to be the same. One raw, one PCGS. I'll bet 75% or more of the time the PCGS coin will sell for more.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hate those ngc white fangs
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    British late milled, London sale - no slab above N above P.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some things that are clearly worth more in PCGS holders. For other things, NGC has the edge. But for the most part, the world coin market does not tend to differentiate between PCGS and NGC.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy, does the world coin market differentiate between raw and PCGS and NGC?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭
    So basically they should have left well enough alone when they crossed it over at the same grade. Yes?
  • RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    Whether the general market for world coins in the US cares about slabs or not, I cannot say, but on this side of the pond the fact a coin is slabbed is not so important. Less important still is the company doing the slabbing. There are a few adherents to plastic, but most of us crack them out.

On a personal level I look at slabbed coins just as much as raw ones, but this is usually to find either the misattributed rarity, or the rarity that number chasers aren't interested in. NGC are a better source of the former than PCGS, but this might be due in part to the numbers involved. Less than 10% of my coins were slabbed when purchased. I still have half a dozen coins from the collection remaining in plastic due to a lack of storage space in the cabinet.

The practical reason for raw over slabs is an inability to handle the coin. First of all you need a raw coin to weigh it as you can't do once it is entombed. Raw coins are needed to see the whole of the edge in hand. Things improved with the jaws, but still inevitably hide sections which could hide evidence of previous mounting. Also, plastic impedes viewing under a glass, essential if you are looking for friction, other marks, or recut detail. Again it is desirable to have a raw coin.

The situation might be different in other European countries, but I wouldn't bet on it.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ajaan
    Andy, does the world coin market differentiate between raw and PCGS and NGC?

Of course, but it depends on the coin, the location, the situation and the buyer. Not a very helpful answer, but true.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    Judging only from my own very limited personal experience:

- Slabs are slowly making their way into world coins as well. In the past you almost didn't see any at all, but in the last few years I'm beginning to see more, and more collectors and dealers are submitting material for grading. There is much more talk about slabs in collectors meetings and you see a lot more in local auctions.

- *Asking* prices for slabbed material seem quite higher than for raw. However, actual selling prices are affected only for top-end material. High-end fares better in slabs, where the average stuff seems to maintain the same price level, raw or slabbed.

- I haven't seen a strong preference for PCGS over NGC or vice versa. Collectors and dealers seem uncertain over which one is "better" and there is some debate about it going on.

- Both services seem much less savvy about world coins than they are about U.S. material. I've seen a lot of slabbing mistakes (from both major TPGs) - and I don't mean grades. I wouldn't presume to put my grading skills over those of PCGS or NGC, but I'm talking about slab labels that mistake the name of the denomination, or the date (in cases where dates are not found on coins in roman numerals), or the variety attribution. I've seen errors such as rotated reverse slabbed with no mention of the error, as if the grader was unaware that this alignment is not the norm for this type. This applies to both major TPGs and is just a bit too common for me to believe the "mechanical error" explanation.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like both for darkside material. image
  • HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Boosibri
    I just hate those ngc white fangs

Couldn't agree more. The entire presentation of the slab is completely different than PCGS. That said, for medals I prefer they are released from their jails and are as bare to the world now as when they entered it. Same would be true for coins, I just don't have to balls to do that.

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I don't have an answer ... but I will say this ... a PCGS graded coin is more valuable to me than an NGC graded coin. Yes, this applies even if they are the exact same coin, just in different holders.

All of my NGC graded coins leave me thinking about what they would grade at PCGS, so I only tend to buy them at a discount, with the eventual plan to cross.

Collectors are a strange bunch, aren't we?
  • mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Australian coins generally fetch better prices in PCGS holders compared with NGC holders And certainly better than raw coins.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a volatile question, one that I used to state our hosts, and in some cases perhaps that might be true but have since accepted both as equal overall.