Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Morbiducci Prova's: Irish Numismatic History

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
In the recent DNW sale there were two previously unknown "Morbiducci Prova" Irish patterns (prova's) in copper which carried a provenance from the medalist family who struck the coins for Publio Morbiducci the designer. I was the direct under bidder on these pieces unfortunately.

In 1927 the newly formed Irish Republic wanted to create their national coinage and commissioned a committee, led by poet W.B Yeats to hold a competition and recommend the design to be featured. The brief to the designers was to feature the animals of the Irish Republic, which included the horse, salmon, bull, Irish wolfhound, rabbit and wood pigeon.

There were a handful of competitors, most notably Publio Morbiducci, an Italian sculptor, and Percy Metcalfe and Englishman. In an effort to sway the committee, Morbiducci produced patterns in various metals of his designs. While Morbiducci's designs were arguably superior to those of the other competitors, to paraphrase Yeats, the designs were "too Italian" and the committee ultimately favored Metcalfe's more stoic designs to the emotional and animated designs of Morbiducci.

The only reference for the patterns was published in 1976 in the Spinks Numismatic Circular which gave the history of the pieces and a history of the handful of known specimens. Today, only a few exist with perhaps a few more than originally speculated. Regardless, every piece is rare with less than a dozen known in the most prolific issues.

Posted below is the 1976 article for your enjoyment.

Comments

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome pattern, thanks for posting this.

AS the "direct underbidder" one never knows how high the next bidder was willing to go with their bid.

This pattern selling for GBP 11,000 hammer is pretty steep IMO. Who knows, you may have been the direct underbidder right on up to GBP 20,000.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    It was steep but consider two exist with this being the finest by far. Last one in bronze appeared in 1970, 12 years before I was born. Others in silver are more frequently encountered, every 5-10 years.

If your 60 and working in a set, not a bad deal.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Boosibri

It was steep but consider two exist with this being the finest by far. Last one in bronze appeared in 1970, 12 years before I was born. Others in silver are more frequently encountered, every 5-10 years.

If your 60 and working in a set, not a bad deal.

As we both know though, no one knows how high the winner was willing to go except the winner.

Once something gets to the "nearly unique" level, I'm perfectly happy looking at pictures online. Ownership doesn't add that much enjoyment for me when the opportunity cost of having it is several (dozen) other coins. To each his/her own. Sometimes being the underbidder is a blessing in disguise.

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    Agree.... Hopefully people appreciate learning about the patterns and their history from this post. Beautiful coins!
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful patterns and a fascinating history lesson.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    A beautiful pattern! I can almost hear the harp sing and expect the horse to jump from the coin at any moment. Thank you for posting the great history as well.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I actually prefer the rendition of the harp as adopted on the later coinage, these are indeed impressive and awesome. And that horse is great.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great design- the horse is great. This is one of those times when one can ask about the wisdom in connection with what was ultimately selected...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Sorry you missed out. I'm sure you know more about these than the winner(s) do.
  • Options
    The winner just completed his full set of patterns in bronze. Huge accomplishment.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The horse on the pattern leaves me thinking: Duce, Duce, Duce! Yeats was right.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 291fifth

The horse on the pattern leaves me thinking: Duce, Duce, Duce! Yeats was right.

Beautiful designs.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those pieces are just plain hardcore. Noble attempt, boosibri.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame