Home U.S. Coin Forum

What do you think? 1871 Two Cent Piece

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was looking for an upgrade for my Two Cent Piece in my 19th Century Everyman Set and seen a dealer with a few 1871 dated 2C coins, there were the usual RPM, but it was a MS coin (too high for Everyman) and I noticed that one had an anomaly on the "N" in IGWT. I went to Coin Facts to see a couple high resolution images and a couple (view all coin images) shared this characteristic, particularly the MS65+BN. I am not sure if it is doubling; mechanical, Longacre or actual. It is not present on all of the circulation strikes, possibly an old proof die.

What do you think?

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/3609

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,...

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know. Possibly a very localized doubled die? Look at the bottom of the W in WE as well.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Look at page 70-73 of Kevin Flynn's book

"The Authoritative Reference on Two Cents Coins"

He lists it as Master Die Pivot Hub Doubling Class V.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LoveMyLiberty

Look at page 70-73 of Kevin Flynn's book

"The Authoritative Reference on Two Cents Coins"

He lists it as Master Die Pivot Hub Doubling Class V.

Nice reference...thanks!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,...
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I must go check my Two Cent pieces....image I like threads that make me check my coins...

rarely find what was being discussed, but fun anyway. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file