Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do I value "gold and platinum plated Sac dollars" and similar such things?

DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
I am doing an appraisal for an estate. Unfortunately this person spent tens of thousands of dollars on colorized coins, cheap coins in fancy holders, etc.

Is there any secondary market for these coins at all? Yes -- lots of them in this collection come in fancy wood display cases, etc.

Should they be appraised at face value? (Obviously these were all purchased at outlandish prices. I remember seeing $31.95 for each gold & platinum sac dollar, for example).

I'm pretty certain a bank would not accept these coins even at face value. A number of them appear to be coated in a clear plastic (non-removable, baked on?) casing so they can't even be put through Coinstar machines.

Should they be appraised at less than face value?

They must be worth something to someone, but to whom, and how much?

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Have fun with your coins"
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Any of the coins have gold or silver?

Otherwise, 80% of face? Ask a B&M shop what he would pay.

• Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got done with a very similar collection. The bank did not want them. Finally got a dealer friend to take them for face value to try and slowly sell out of his junk bin. Had over 800 dollars in face. I also remember seeing the 31 dollar price tag.

It is really sad how much money these scam companies are pulling out of the pockets of some people.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay Estate find Moon Money.

Buy a face and hope for more on sale.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I am doing appraisals on these I do them at face value. There is a market for them at around 2-3 X face. I sold some this weekend at a show, but because this market data is not empirically available, I would not include it in an appraisal that I may have to defend in court.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: AMRC
    When I am doing appraisals on these I do them at face value. There is a market for them at around 2-3 X face. I sold some this weekend at a show, but because this market data is not empirically available, I would not include it in an appraisal that I may have to defend in court.

The ones depicted in the OP include a certificate of authenticity. Certainly this drives the wholesale price up, no?

peacockcoins

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When someone tells me : "My dad bought these for XXX on television", it's just as bad as hearing "My dad bought these from ______".
    (I won't name names). They (WE) are just collectors having fun , so who am I to dissuade that ? I have to promote healthy collecting, which offers a decent and fair return. (in the case of "investing" mentality) . You know what you have to do.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are only worth face and likely less..... However, you could put and inflated price tag on them and play the same con game that was played upon the original purchaser....usually, we collectors have more integrity than that. I would save them and give them to YN's as something to whet their interest - while also explaining that they have no numismatic value, and why. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never seen these in any collections, except seniors. Hawkers preying on the elderly with diminished metal capacity in my opinion. Children should occasionally ask what "deals" their parents are buying and intervene if necessary.

Like "investment" grade of old....totally scams.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko

They are only worth face and likely less..... However, you could put and inflated price tag on them and play the same con game that was played upon the original purchaser....usually, we collectors have more integrity than that. I would save them and give them to YN's as something to whet their interest - while also explaining that they have no numismatic value, and why. Cheers, RickO

I certainly have done that in the past with these sorts of items.

In this case though there are several hundred dollars of face value of these coins in the estate.

It pains me to value them at zero and tell the heirs to simply give them away or throw them in the trash. They are legal tender coins, after all. These aren't "replicas" (although the collection had plenty of those as well).

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad.

Not much upside for you in this deal. Any way it goes you'll end up looking like a bad guy.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would buy them for face-value and use them as tips whenever the mrs. and I go out on the town.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Buy What You Like"image

To answer the question...the retail value might be 2% over face if you can find anyone interested. I see stuff like this in our coin club auctions and this stuff usually opens at face, gets a bid, and that's it.

I sometimes buy this stuff at face and give it to very young YNs.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I helped a dealer friend of mine with a collection that had stuff like this in it. We used eBay sold listings (when we could find them) to set the value. They also gave us a general idea of the value of the stuff we couldn't find.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the wood cases, once emptied, would be worth something. Very sad.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I worked in a coin shop we bought stuff like this at face value and gave it out from the cash register.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such a shame to C people scammed like this.
    The case is nice.
    Would give to YNs.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tips are always at face value.

Use them up in the coin slot at Home Depot.

Seriously though, you MAY check into a charitable donation. They can sit on them 3 years before sale, and the estate may get a tax write off.

$31 @ 28% equals $7.60 each
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Maybe the wooden cases are of value to someone.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, I am with the "face value" crowd.

Shops always try to get more from them, but I have seen them sitting around for a long time...and they probably paid face value (or less for some shops as they will tell the seller they are "damaged").

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file