Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thank You to all who served our Country on Memorial Day

And to the families of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

We are the land of the free because of the brave.

Comments

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today we remember the brave!!

My great uncle on my mom's side was a WWII bomber and my uncle on my dad's side was at Pearl Harbor.

Spent the day with my mother and grandmother tilling soil, planting flowers, spreading mulch and watering the graves of my departed loved ones.

We had nice barbecue afterwards on this beautiful sunny day.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this."
    The Gettysburg Address.

It is altogether fitting and proper.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Told my daughter in law that if it rained today should could wear my field jacket....it rained.

Wonderful day.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes...Thank You All Who Serve/Served The USA!!! God Bless
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sonny, I will always remember you from the hood.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dedicated to the honor of USMC L.Cpl Peter Jon Kaulback, ambushed/KIA 5-31-1968, Quang Tri VN.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thank all of you who have served and are currently serving in our Military and Police forces. I had the opportunity to serve 4 years in the Air Force and greatly appreciate what our service members give up to protect our rights and freedoms.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Memorial Day... to honor those who gave their lives that the rest of us could enjoy our freedoms. Cheers, RickO
  • CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All gave some. Some gave all.
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some paid the price for freedom but that was a price they were willing to pay for freedom

coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/MUcEu23nqpzNqJhX6

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I served on two Memorial Days during my two years service.
    Paul
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    War never determines who is right ... it only determines who is left; so it's good to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice. Thanks to the families of those valiant warriors who defended our freedom and liberty with their bodies, as our shield. Their valor is our badge. Their sacrifice is our renewed hope for peace. And their courage is our responsibility to uphold with dignity.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    id do it again to, no problems with that. t/y
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: johnny9434

Ditto. I'd try to find a way of not getting blown-up again, though image
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: johnny9434

Agreed.

While there are some things in my life that I would change on a do-over, I would re-enlist again.

I never did it for the thanks. I did it because it is my country and I love my country and wanted to be there if needed.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Esprit de Corps
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the greatest respect for our vets and those serving now.

A couple years ago I had a patient who went up the shores of Normandy in the first wave. He was shot a couple days later and spent several months in a hospital in England. He told me he still remembers seeing the enemy soldier pop up over a wall, point his rifle at him and shoot him. He got better just in time to be sent to Belgium where he was shot again during the Battle of the Bulge. That man came home, raised a family, and lived a great life. In his older years I had the privilege of taking care of him. He would have the nurses get him up every morning, wheel him down to the window where he could see the flag, and stand and salute it. He did that every day since the war ended.

The USS Missouri with the Arizona Memorial in the background:

Oil is still seeping from the USS Arizona, 75 years later:

Those lost from the Arizona:

Shore Fortifications near Point du Hoc, Normandy:

A small section of the US Cemetery at Normandy:

The shores of Normandy today:

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was in Ranger School, a group of the Point Du Hoc Rangers came through to see the training. They were revered as GIANTS there.

I had the honor of working with the British SAS, and courage is not limited to our shore.

One of the men I served with, Dick Meadows, 3 times nominated for the Medal of Honor, never awarded since he was where the US officially was not. He spent a year as a CIA black agent living openly in Tehran Iran during the American Hostage crisis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_J._Meadows

My wife and I recently attended a gathering honoring a BG Herbert J. Lloyd, who died a month later, wounded 2 times in Vietnam and badly wounded in Kabul after leaving the Army. My wife is intelligent, but does not have "situational awareness" She did not notice all the men who were always at the edge of the crowd, scanning constantly. It was like a CIA reunion from Pakistan and Afghanistan in that room, and enough active and retired Army brass, up to 4 star, to equip a couple countries. Brigadier General Lloyd spent eighteen years in Civil service as a contract partner with Sensitive Government agencies in the Muslim world after his retirement from the Army.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file