Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Now Taking Applications for Numismatic Gladiator III

AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
The first "Numismatic Gladiator" competition was a success and the second one even more so. I want to thank everyone who participated by commenting and/or voting.

Because NG I & II were so well received we want to continue the series. We are looking for two people who would be interested in competing in NG III. Please read the rules below before you express your interest.

RULES:

1. You will purchase a US legal tender coin minted prior to 1965.

2. Gladiators may not spend more that $25 excluding postage/tax on their coin (but may spend less).

3. The coin must be purchased online and it must be listed for sale on an open and public website. This includes auction sites such as, but not limited to eBay or dealer web pages. Coins that are on sale of that you are able to buy at a discount are not eligible unless the original price was less than $25.

4. Gladiators MUST actually purchase their entry coin.

5. Gladiators will not be allowed to reveal which coin is theirs, except to The Directors (LordMarcovan and Aethelred) until after the voting has closed, this includes PMs, people who have already voted et cetera.

6. The Directors of "Numismatic Gladiator" will select two Gladiators from those who have applied, these Gladiators will remain anonymous except to The Directors until the close of voting.

7. Both The Gladiators and The Directors may vote (without revealing how they have voted) as they see fit in the poll.

8. Any and all disputes that arise will be settled by The Directors.

9. Both of The Directors must be in agreement before any decisions are made.

10. The winning Gladiator will receive an icon that they may display in their sig line.

If you agree to all of the above terms and would like to apply to become a Gladiator in NG II please express your interest by posting to this thread. If you are not selected as one of the two Gladiators this time, remember there will be future Numismatic Gladiator competitions.
If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Awesome idea....

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun stuff !

I have just about $25 in PayPal
  • Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    I'm in.
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Good idea.

I voted and followed the NGII on the darkside
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are we voting on? The best deal? Prettiest coin? Most valuable? Rarest? Something we most want?

Maybe that should be explained.

Lance.
  • Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    Put me in coach, I'm ready to play.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are we voting on? The best deal? Prettiest coin? Most valuable? Rarest? Something we most want?

The coin you like better. Use your own criteria. Visit the WAC and see some of the previous contests.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin

Maybe that should be explained.

Lance.

Whichever one you like the most, taking into account all of the attributes you just mentioned, and prioritizing them as you see fit.

The main thing about these competitions (I think) is to prove how there are appealing and fun coins to be had at all price levels, and "cheap" does not automatically mean "undesirable".

NG1 happened when Aethelred and I were discussing ancients, and he said he still gets as much enjoyment adding a $20 Roman coin to his collection as he would a $500 one. So he challenged me to a "duel" and thus the "Numismatic Gladiator" games began. (He came up with the title. I was gonna call 'em CCC - Cheap Coin Challenges. Either title works, but his is definitely more colorful.)

I would link up both of the first two but I'm on a mobile device that makes hyperlinking difficult at the moment. But both of the first two "Numismatic Gladiator" threads should be fairly near the top of the world coin forum, if the mods ever got rid of all the spammer attack threads from yesterday.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea for a contest.... and will be fun to watch... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

I would link up both of the first two but I'm on a mobile device that makes hyperlinking difficult at the moment. But both of the first two "Numismatic Gladiator" threads should be fairly near the top of the world coin forum, if the mods ever got rid of all the spammer attack threads from yesterday.

Here you go LordM:

"Numismatic Gladiator" I (Aethelred vs. lordmarcovan)

"Numismatic Gladiator" II (Stork vs. Swampboy)
  • Options
    I am goin to let this run for another few days given the holiday this week.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds fun. How much time does one have to hunt for the right coin and/or purchase? I think I'd like to play.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Meltdown
    Sounds fun. How much time does one have to hunt for the right coin and/or purchase? I think I'd like to play.

Generally a few days.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    PMs have been sent.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Damn if it were $30 I would be all over this with a 1964 proof set I bought!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in.

I take it the coin counts only for coins purchased AFTER the contest starts?
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consider my hat "Tossed in the ring".
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    The two Gladiators have been selected and received PMs informing them. Those of you who were not selected this time should keep an eye out for future Numismatic Gladiator bouts.

A very heartfelt thank you to everyone who applied!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    TTT
    Paul

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights