Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    did you purchase it?
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Is 1811 a scarce / difficult year ?
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Boosibri

did you purchase it?

I did. This coin was the reason I sold-off some pillars earlier.

Originally posted by: Andres

Wow, Is 1811 a scarce / difficult year ?

1811-HJ Armored Bust is a common coin. Probably third most common in the Armored Bust series after the 1809-HJ and 1810-HJ.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    So, why did you pay top dollars for it ? beats me
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Andres

So, why did you pay top dollars for it ? beats me

It's a relatively rare over-assayer HJ/TH and the only "Details"-graded coin i have in my Ferdinand VII Armored Bust Set.

I was hoping to get it for a steal, but this ended-up being the case of two specialized collectors noticing the unattributed over-assayer and going hard after the same coin.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you know who has the top set on the registry?
  • Options
    Yup, that was the guy. He has a truly wonderful set spanning the entire range of milled 8 Reales from the early 1730's to the end of the Cap'n'Rays series. He's got some wonderful varieties in the portrait series, as well.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats- is the attribution something TPG will do for this variety? Seems it might be worth asking if it is currently not done.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 70 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on completing your set by upgrading the detail coin, truly a great achievement. Your set is beautiful and shows a focus and dedication to the hunt.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: coinkat

congrats- is the attribution something TPG will do for this variety? Seems it might be worth asking if it is currently not done.

When it comes to these varieties, both PCGS and NGC don't automatically look for them, so quite a few are in unattributed holders. If I was to send this one back to NGC, they would correct the label and attribution free of charge.

Originally posted by: Crazy8s

Congratulations on completing your set by upgrading the detail coin, truly a great achievement. Your set is beautiful and shows a focus and dedication to the hunt.

Thanks! It's not a done deal, yet. PCGS could end-up not grading it for some reason. I'll have a better sense once I receive it in-hand.