Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 American $1 Coin and Currency Set (16RA)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
The mint has posted June 16@Noon ET for the 2016 American $1 Coin and Currency Set. (In three weeks.)

More details as they become available. (No design, mintage or HH limits posted.)

American $1 Coin and Currency Set 2016

I would have thought this would have been released later this year, closer toward Christmas. (Stocking stuffer, donchaknow.) They held HH limits last year until after Black Friday...

Comments

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for the heads up

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are great for families with YN's .... or even as newborn gifts... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people like to collect these sets. The flipability will be determined by the mintage and any low household limits.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can something be scheduled for sale this close to the release date and NOT have an approved image?
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Originally posted by: oih82w8
    How can something be scheduled for sale this close to the release date and NOT have an approved image?

The Mint has gotten into a bad habit of waiting until the last minute before posting product details.

Might see something tomorrow or the next, two weeks before release. Might even be after the Harper Ferry quarter release.

The odd part, is the lack of details from the normal sources of somewhat reliable information about the contents of the set. Like a special FRN, packaging details, or enhancement details on the brassbuck. We might see multiple levels of frosting like on the last few proof offerings. We usually see that sort of info long before the web page is posted...

In other news, the 2015 C&C set finally went unavailable. Last reported sales was 88,284, with a 90K mintage. (Sets may have been destroyed because of that FRN in the glue problem.)
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    There's a pic of the set on the mint's site. Hard to learn any details from it though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: smokincoin
    There's a pic of the set on the mint's site. Hard to learn any details from it though.

You must have caught them when they were testing.

Maybe that means their thumb will actually see sunshine today. Heh...
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all the special finishes and edge lettering detail, it's almost expected that something will get done out of sequence or skipped entirely. Be on the lookout for something that's not right. Then again, how big of a deal would it be to have something that's supposed to be partly-frosted not get any frost?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the 2015 American $1 Coin and Currency Set (RA15) is even sold out yet.

Wish the .gov would lower the mintage of this 2016 set for a faster sellout.
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8

Maybe they figure that creating anticipation is a better marketing approach. Why post them sooner, just to endure months of whining about this or that perceived shortcoming, before the thing even goes on sale?
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I am not impressed with this year's design. I will probably buy one or two. It will probably have the same mintage as last year.
  • Options
    You know, in the film biz, if the studio knows they have a turkey, they put an embargo on any reviews up until the day before the film is released.

If it's really bad, they don't even preview the film beforehand at all.

Hmmmm....
  • Options
    Simply amazing they issue a press release, but no images, mintage or household limits...

United States Mint Opens Sales for 2016 American $1 Coin and Currency Set on June 16

United States Mint Opens Sales for 2016 American $1 Coin and Currency Set on June 16

WASHINGTON - The United States Mint will begin accepting orders for 2016 American $1 Coin and Currency Set (product code 16RA) on June 16 at noon Eastern Time (ET).

Priced at $14.95, the set consists of a tri-fold presentation folder that holds one enhanced uncirculated finish 2016 Native American $1 Coin from the United States Mint at San Francisco and one $1 Series 2013 Note from the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. A Certificate of Authenticity is printed on the package.

The reverse (tails) design of the 2016 Native American $1 Coin features two helmets and two feathers that form a "V," symbolizing victory, unity, and the important role that code takers played in World War I and World War II. It includes the inscriptions "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "$1," "WWI," "WWII," and "CODE TALKERS."

The coin's obverse (heads) retains the central figure of the "Sacagawea" design first produced in 2000, with the inscriptions "LIBERTY" and "IN GOD WE TRUST."

The $1 Series 2013 Note features a low serial number and is from one of the 12 Federal Reserve Banks located throughout the country.

Edit to add: It's being reported that there will be a mintage of 75,000K, HH limit of 5, included press release link...
  • Options
    Full details were finally posted sometime today...

2016 American $1 Coin and Currency Set (16RA)

Mintage Limit: 75,000.
    Household Order Limit: 5

One enchanced finish 2016 NA Brass Buck, one low serial number 2013 $1 FRN from one or more FRB. (The one pictured has a S/N Xxxx04000A)

Even at 75K (down 15K from last year), these will take a while to sell out with that HH order limit at 5...
  • Options
    Nice set.

I think last years set (RA15) is now finally sold out and off the Mint's website.
  • Options
    I was thinking about this set (I mean, you have to do something when you're supposed to be doing something else), and a line in the description got me interested.

"The $1 Series 2013 Note features a low serial number and is from one of the 12 Federal Reserve Banks located throughout the country."

Does that mean a low serial number FRN from more than one bank? That's what it seems to imply.

That means there will be duplicate serial numbers. Another entry to the C&C FRN lottery beyond repeaters and radars.

We should start a registry of S/N's to see if any match. Possibly something to look for on an auction site.
  • Options
    So who's in tomorrow?

I'm in for 1

• Options
    I'll get five (in one order), hope for sequential S/N's...

I was going to break it into 2 and 3, but then realized it wasn't worth the extra shipping.

Be there or be... somewhere else...
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Ill be in for 10. T - 1 min
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    CoinGuy42CoinGuy42 Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Order placed for 5 sets with no delay...USM042542XX.
  • Options
    Smoooooooth

Wish checkout went this well every time

USM042543xx

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I ordered the HH limit of 5 and it went through real quick

So there wasn't a sell out in the first minute

USM04254xxx
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Wow, my first mint purchase to be done before 12:01. 04254xxx
  • Options
    That was easy. Done in seconds. Ordered 5.

USM042541xx

• Options
    drkilmerdrkilmer Posts: 166 ✭✭
    Easy and fast. 12:03.

USM04255xxx
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Yup was easy. Wont be this easy on the 30th with the platinum but i wish it would be.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really fast ordered 2 sets USM04255XXX
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one seems pretty soft and under the radar.....

Wonder if that means it is a good sleeper or if people are just a bit burned out...?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I got my order in for 5 shortly after noon today. Only reason I'm ordering is for the "low" serial # FRN from "different FR Banks". It would be fun to collect one of each district.

I like Backyard Junkie's suggestion to start a registry. I'm in for that.

Order # USM04256XXX

Will be interesting to see how many sets get opened just for the low serial FRN.
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't define "low serial number", so it makes me curious as to what they are thinking.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Put my order in @ noon with absolutely no problems whatsoever.
    I don't know if it's that the Mint's server or software have been updated or simply a lack of interest in these sets.
    I'm curious to see when the set will sell out.
    I figured the relatively low mintage of 75,000 would have generated a lot more interest but what do I know! image
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not ordering these. I have no interest in them other than to flip. I flipped the last 2 years. First year was great, last year was not. This year should continue the crappy flip on them, so I did not bother.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess too many got burned out on the last year's offering....
    ----- kj
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had no problem ordering 5 sets at 5:30 PM CST.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No prob ordering two right now.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Burnout was the name they gave her....Well, I got two anyway because one always seems to have issues.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Bochiman
    This one seems pretty soft and under the radar.....

Wonder if that means it is a good sleeper or if people are just a bit burned out...?

My take is there was no competition from the flipping crowd. No flipper in the world is going to touch this set, even with the 15K mintage reduction. (The 2015 set was finally flipped to "unavailable" again yesterday. HH limits were removed just after Black Friday, 7 months ago. You could have bought some 2015's yesterday morning.)

That also means the big dealers and TV hucksters probably didn't have their hordes out, either.

Ironically, I got some spam from Target this morning, saying today was National Flip-Flop day.

On the flip side (haha pun), let's say these FRN's are truly low serial notes. At 75K, if all 12 regional banks participate, that's 6,250 notes from each bank. There could be some extraordinary low serial numbers in these sets. (The sample photo shows 00004000.) The problem is, no one has been able to define what the word "low" means, and if all the banks sent (or even had) the same S/N range.

We should know sales thru Sunday on Monday...
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Sets in hands....
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mas3387
    Sets in hands....

Okay...what is the serial numbers?
  • Options
    opened 1 box of 5
    Bills are all in holder straight.... This is a +

F00013131A Hey, that's a good one ???
  • Options
    Just opened a second box to add a little more info

Bills are all in holder straight again

F00013121A
  • Options
    Just got shipped email.

Nice serial numbers mas3387. Low, straight and sequential. Once this is known maybe there will be a mini surge. Lets see the sales figure on Tuesday.

How does the "enhanced" dollar look?

• Options
    Originally posted by: Kudbegud
    Just got shipped email.

Nice serial numbers mas3387. Low, straight and sequential. Once this is known maybe there will be a mini surge. Lets see the sales figure on Tuesday.

How does the "enhanced" dollar look?

They look pretty darn good....

• Options
    Oh look. I have a tracking number. Too bad it's coming smartpost.

In other news, CoinNews.net is reporting first day sales of 21,149 units, around 50% of last year's first day sales.

If the low serial number FRN's don't save this set, it'll be around for a while. With the 5 HH limit, they should have brought it back down to 50K...
  • Options

That was fast. Closest to a palindrome you're going to get with this set. image Interesting that two different boxes had S/N's so close together. It would be funny if your other three boxes filed in the sequence.

Your serial numbers are pretty high for a low serial number FRN, though. image They could have kept them all in the four digit range...
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Set ordered at 5 est shipped
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkieIn other news, CoinNews.net is reporting first day sales of 21,149 units, around 50% of last year's first day sales.

If the low serial number FRN's don't save this set, it'll be around for a while. With the 5 HH limit, they should have brought it back down to 50K...

25K is a very slow start...
    DateDescNumber soldNet Increase
    6/19/20162016 AMERICAN $1 COIN & CURRENCY SET24,49724,497
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie

That was fast. Closest to a palindrome you're going to get with this set. image Interesting that two different boxes had S/N's so close together. It would be funny if your other three boxes filed in the sequence.

Your serial numbers are pretty high for a low serial number FRN, though. image They could have kept them all in the four digit range...

I agree. Was hoping for some 3 and 4 digit #s.

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: chiefbob

Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie

I agree. Was hoping for some 3 and 4 digit #s.

13,000 out of the 24,000 sold so far. Wait untill you see who got the two and three digit serial numbers. image

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    Well, the good news is, FedEx removed the SmartPost layover in St Louis entirely, so it only took 4 days (including the weekend) instead of 7 or 8 for the package to get to me.

The bad news is, my S/N's fell into the 5 digit range too, and once again, completely failed in the FRN lottery. Not even consecutive bills. Different bank from mas3387, though, so maybe we'll see some duplicate numbers.

D 00013543 A
    D 00013544 A
    D 00013546 A
    D 00013548 A
    D 00013549 A

If these are low S/N's to the mint, this issue is DOA.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file