Home Precious Metals
Options

How to check the validity of an ASE proof?

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
May purchase an 87 ASE proof tomorrow. I guess besides a visual, magnet, maybe a comparison, and packaging check, the most I can think of getting is to weigh the capsule. I did a comparison of a similar packaged capsule to get 40.2. What else can one do. I wouldn't let anyone open a proof capsule on my stuff.

(Funny, the first proof I grabbed was an 86 from my stuff. Didn't even know I had one.)
COA

Comments

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've more than covered your bases here. I could add: Buy from a reputable seller. There were almost 1 million of these minted so they are common and worth ~$50.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Thanks.

$32 is not bad then, from a local, as I wouldn't pay too much more or pass. Maybe there's more or a new contact anyway. Turns out we have mutual friends.

I have several already and learned a lesson about being the last buyer in the chain.
    COA
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like you have covered most of the bases... except bring an eye loupe... a close visual

check of details would be an important point for me. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy from me and take my word ? image Rhetorical question. No spam intended (for all those who like to meddle)
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy one on the spot then open it and examine. Then if you are happy buy the others. Seller should not be upset if he has the money for the one you test. If he knows they are fake then he won't go for the deal of buying one and opening.

bobimage

PS: establish what you will pay for the lot before you go for the one.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring one along that you know is real, like a certified one. Use that for comparison. There is nothing like having a real one to compare to a fake to make the fake REALLY stand out.