Home Metal Detecting
Options

Last 3 hunts: 1 Gold and 9 silvers

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Got out on Tuesday to the silver beach. I wanted to start out at the area that has more signals, but also more junk than the second area at this location. As expected, things were slow,going keeper wise but there was a bunch of bits and doodads. Seemed like over an hour in before a merc finally came out. A while later finally got a second merc. Then got a nice sterling catholic pendant. With the tide changing I moved to the slower side, and got a war nickel. Also got a ring that at first glance looked like it could have been something. But when I looked inside (Zot, I checked there, and not at home!) I could see a seam, so it was clearly junk. Ended the day with 4 silvers.

Got out Weds too. Now, once again, I was thinking that the silver beach was about to fall into detecting legend as a once,shining knight that has grown tired and has very little light left. Although things have slowed, there are still goodies left. Seemed forever until the first silver showed, and it was a merc. Got a couple of buffalo nickels too. Got some odd bullets too. Can anyone id them? The really long one on the left is pretty neat. Now, the 2nd one is part of an old pencil or pen, but I kept it in there because it was the perfect size. Got what looks like an old Mary pendant, but it’s either pewter or lead. Not familiar with the back either. Got an old shotgun shell top too: has 1901 on top, is that the date? About halfway in the hunt got just another low tone, and was happy to see it was a ring! Turns out to be a 10k 1951 class ring. The silver beach is still alive!! Thought I had 3 silver coins at the end, but turns out to be 4… 3 mercs and a silver Washington.

Got out again yesterday but only had 2.5 hours. Figure I’d stay on the slow side and as expected it was slower. Got a lower tone and was surprised to find a ring. It was brass/gold color but couldn’t be 100% sure either way. So, put it away and kept going. Got a 1957 Roosevelt and a couple other goodies. Got home and saw the kiss of death HGE (heavy gold electroplate) inside the band. Doh!! This Roosevelt makes 50 silver coins for the year.

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    If you measure the bullet diameter and length of the brass case, I'm sure it could be identified. Does the base of the cartridge have a headstamp on it?
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you were on the "Bullet Beach". Great gold and silver finds.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Always fun to read of your latest finds...thanks.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a fun read and picture show!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great hunts...that beach just keeps on giving...must have been a very popular place at one

time...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Good finds as always! Looks like that silver Washie survived pretty well.