Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

EF45? Really?

BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
This coin seems a bit optimistically graded. Looks like VF details to me.

3EAAOSwAYtWOrSF">Text

imageimage
3 rim nicks away from Good

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The toning might be throwing you off a bit.
    Looks solid XF to me.

peacockcoins

• Options
    I've never seen a 45 look like this coin. To me, the grade is 10 points too high. The thigh shows no separation from the shield (which is key for me), the shield lines are weak, the hair detail is not there, the wear on the breast exceeds the blouse line. The reverse certainly isn't sharp enough for 45, IMO. I have coins with similar heavy, peripheral toning, but, in this case the coin looks like it had an old cleaning or at least been dipped to me and has acquired this heavy peripheral toning. If I'm wrong on this, I'd appreciate other's comments on what I missed.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you
  • Options
    For comparison, here's a raw 1846-O that I would expect a grade of at least XF40 and possibly even XF45 if the graders are happy. The shield is well separated from the thigh, the shield lines are stronger, hair more detailed, and wear on the breast does not exceed the blouse neckline.

imageimage

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to criticize from a picture - what would you grade if mint luster around periphery?
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks XF to me. Perhaps 40.

Lance.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since it's not in a top tier holder, I'm not surprised the grading is a bit generous.
    Looks more like a VF35, that was partially cleaned and retoned.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin

Looks XF to me. Perhaps 40.

Lance.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just trying to get all they can out of the mint and tall date.

But she did survive in a hard time and place.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FadeToBlack

Weak strike. 45 might be generous, but it isn't that far off.

This.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with the OP on this - VF details... where the original cleaning wasn't able to remove the toning it's continued to darken. Then again it's an ANACS Blue label slab...
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Walkerguy21D
    Since it's not in a top tier holder, I'm not surprised the grading is a bit generous.
    Looks more like a VF35, that was partially cleaned and retoned.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Barberian
    I've never seen a 45 look like this coin. To me, the grade is 10 points too high. The thigh shows no separation from the shield (which is key for me), the shield lines are weak, the hair detail is not there, the wear on the breast exceeds the blouse line. The reverse certainly isn't sharp enough for 45, IMO. I have coins with similar heavy, peripheral toning, but, in this case the coin looks like it had an old cleaning or at least been dipped to me and has acquired this heavy peripheral toning. If I'm wrong on this, I'd appreciate other's comments on what I missed.

• Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    The top coin appears to have some remaining luster, assuming that the images are not playing tricks. The 2nd coin does not appear to have any luster. Given that, I think a VF-30 grade might be a bit tough on the first coin. Really need to see them in hand, though.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks VF35 to me.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: VanHalen

It looks VF35 to me.

Right on.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: IrishMikey
    The top coin appears to have some remaining luster, assuming that the images are not playing tricks. The 2nd coin does not appear to have any luster. Given that, I think a VF-30 grade might be a bit tough on the first coin. Really need to see them in hand, though.

I don't see luster on the first coin. It's just bright. Too bright for my tastes for a 170-year-old coin. To reiterate, I would grade it as VF35. The second coin has no luster and I would grade it XF40. I does appear to have a better strike. I hadn't considered the strike, but apparently I don't care for poorly struck coins. Thanks everybody for your comments.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file