Home U.S. Coin Forum

Common Date Saints and Morgans

csdotcsdot Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
For those who have been numismatists for a few decades, what is your opinion on the possibility that common date Morgan Dollars or Saint Gaudens double Eagles, or even Eagles, graded MS64 and 65, will ever have value above the small premium over the bullion value?

For example, 20 years ago your MS/PF 64 and 65 Barber Halves, Seated Halves, Seated Dollars and Liberty $20s were more reasonably priced compared to their bullion value. However, those same Barber Halves, Seated Halves, Seated Dollars and $20 Liberties now command a SUBSTANTIAL premium over melt.

Is there any hope for MS-64 and 65 common date Morgan's and Saints twenty plus years down the road, or are there just too many of them in existence?

As a side note, I do expect in twenty years Peace Dollars and Walker Halves will follow the same increase in value trends we saw with Barber Halves.

Comments

• CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: csdot

For those who have been numismatists for a few decades, what is your opinion on the possibility that common date Morgan Dollars or Saint Gaudens double Eagles, or even Eagles, graded MS64 and 65, will ever have value above the small premium over the bullion value?

Where have you been the past few decades? As recent as 2011 MS64 common Morgans were selling for $115-$125 at $45/oz silver. In Nov 2009 MS64 Saints carried an 80% premium to spot.

Back in 1989 MS64 Saints and $20 Libs were in the $2,000-$4,000 range at $500/oz gold.

Saints, Morgans, Peace dollars, and Walkers are pretty darn common. You'll need multiple of the current number of collectors/investors to alter the pricing structure. The price of silver has no bearing on choice gem Barbers.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The glass half full crowd would note that they're not making any more of them.
  • Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    Common will always be common and available. If you have any MS 65 Morgans for sale at a small premium over bullion value please sell them to me.
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    As a side note, I do expect in twenty years Peace Dollars and Walker Halves will follow the same increase in value trends we saw with Barber Halves.

Nope. The population dynamics of Barber and Walker halves are not similar. Too many Walkers exist (we are talking common dates, right?) for big gains in Walkers.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bob1951

Common will always be common and available. If you have any MS 65 Morgans for sale at a small premium over bullion value please sell them to me.

What do you consider to be a small premium?
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ill take boring coins for $1000 Alex
  • Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN

Originally posted by: Bob1951

What do you consider to be a small premium?
    20% or less. Ask the OP. Which at the current bullion value ($17.87 per ounce as of 5/1/16) would make the value of a Morgan silver dollar bullion $13.82. $13.82 times 1.20 = $16.58. Even at 50% over bullion value =$20.73, I will buy all you have even the commonest of dates.

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Percentage premiums often shrink when bullion prices increase. There have been times when unc. common Morgans were worth less than their silver value.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file