Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Slab Crackin'

What is the safest and simplest way to crack the new PSA slabs?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use this method for every slab except PRO and have given up ever extracting a card from on of those with anything less than a Dremel:

Get hammer, sandwich baggie, and flathead screwdriver (the wider and thinner you can find one the better) ready
    1. Place an upper corner of the slab in sandwich baggie to catch shards
    2. Hammer a corner off (I've also used channel locks to pinch a corner off, but haven't found a good method to catch shards)
    3. Insert screwdriver and twist, repeat as necessary around the edges until it completely pops apart
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Table saw right threw the flip.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Bolt cutter and small screw driver....10 seconds.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • PopeyesSpinachPopeyesSpinach Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    I usually crack me slabs on Bluto's head but if he's not available, I use wire cutters and a flat head screwdriver.
  • I use a m80 firecracker, that usually gets it in one attempt! JK DONT ATTEMPT! haha.

On a serious note, I use a simple method.

1. Use a wire cutter to the upper right or left part of the slab (by the flip). I cut a "slice" off the corner.

2. Take my wide/flat head-screwdriver and put between the two slabs and gently start to lift up, the whole slab will pop right off.

Here is a good youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzrEsDe7TqQ

PS-This guy looks like serious business! lol
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: nrm1977
    I use a m80 firecracker, that usually gets it in one attempt! JK DONT ATTEMPT! haha.

On a serious note, I use a simple method.

1. Use a wire cutter to the upper right or left part of the slab (by the flip). I cut a "slice" off the corner.
    2. Take my wide/flat head-screwdriver and put between the two slabs and gently start to lift up, the whole slab will pop right off.

Here is a good youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzrEsDe7TqQ

PS-This guy looks like serious business! lol

I never would have guessed when I uploaded this to Youtube to show a few people on this board how easy it was to crack a BGS slab that it would be viewed so many times.

The new PSA slab is much more difficult to crack and while this method will work I think someone will come up with a safer one. I almost damaged the card when I cracked one out and there has to be a better way.

• MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    I agree with nrm1977. I remove the 1978 Topps Baseball cards that I purchase to complete my raw mint set in the same manner. Good luck ldferg.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    My hand is about to fall off due to using the wire cutters. I think I now have a bruised palm (yes, I walked in to that one...no hater responses please - haha).

I only cracked 40 cards, shards flying everywhere, but the sandwich baggie did help. I damaged 3 out of 40.

With the new holders, the slab "popping right off" was not as easy as the older ones.

Thanks for all the input.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    What Popeye said, but the new ones need about 10 more "slide the screwdriver into the holder and lift" than the old ones did!

"Molon Labe"

• swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Use a bandsaw, cuts right through no problems...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Pliers are even better than wire cutters. Break one of the top corners of where the PSA label is at. Then break off the other corner side of the label. By this point, slowly pry the rest of the holder open with your hands but try and keep the holder/slab card in a flat position to keep the card from falling out or moving around because you will have to put a little elbow grease into it to get it open. No problem for me but I wouldn't do this with a real expensive card meaning probably more than a 3-$400 card. But that's just me.