Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I submitted this 1847 Gold Half Eagle to PCGS as an 1847/7 or re-punched 7...Update May 2nd, PCGS ju

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
My first question.....Is this $5 gold Eagle an 1847/7 or a re-punched(overdate) 7 variety?

My second question: Should PCGS recognize this variety?

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one of several repunched dates found on 1847 half eagles. Perhaps because it is the least interesting one they do not mention it lest people think they are getting one of the more interesting ones? I don't know.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are two varieties of the 1847 with misplaced dates which are recognized and this variety which seems like a very minor variety. The most interesting variety has a one which is ridiculously high and protrudes midway through Liberty's neck, the other is punched far far low into the denticles right below the 7.

The first is by far the most interesting to me.
  • Options
    I see NGC recognizes the variety.

NGC Link
  • Options
    My submission just arrived today.

Thank you PCGS.......I was surprised to see this holder.....online there is no mention.

CaptHenway said: That is one of several repunched dates found on 1847 half eagles. Perhaps because it is the least interesting one they do not mention it lest people think they are getting one of the more interesting ones?

I don't know.

I agree Captain, however I got the least interesting one and it was recognized by PCGS....that's all I asked! image

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool coin. that's one of four varieties i know of for that date!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file