Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

600 kilos of Roman coins discovered in Spanish town

Comments

• Options
    privaterarecoincollectorprivaterarecoincollector Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats around 60.000 uncirculated Roman coins, end of third century, amazing !!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wowzer!

Edited to add: And I don't care that this is the wrong forum. I love stories like this, but I would never have seen it over on the darkside forum.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I Believe your math is wrong. At 100 coins per kilo you'd be right but there are closer to 300-350 coins per kilo (assuming 3g each for late Roman bronzes), so closer to 200,000 pieces.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt that they would be "uncirculated".

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Wowzer!

Edited to add: And I don't care that this is the wrong forum. I love stories like this, but I would never have seen it over on the darkside forum.

Totally agree. Amazing!! Thanks for posting!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... that is amazing. There are still treasure hoards out there...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't you love to know the story behind just why such a large hoard of coins was there? I wonder if the silver wash they used on coins of that era is still intact on some of the coins on the inside portion of the jars they were found in? Thanks for the post!
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love these stories. I want to see the follow up story with pics of the most rare ones and hear the final count!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing! It seems like a fortune in conservation work might be in order as well.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Early Roman (Spanish) bank vaults?image
    Paul
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

ive only seen a few but 100% of those were in jars, whether gallon or 20-30 gallon.

odd to me they are often found like this. obviously a popular (secretive?) way of storing them?

this is probably the largest of the finds i've read about. from what little reading i've done.

shipwrecks exempt.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back then, if you wanted to bury your bank - sealed clay pots were the way to go.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its good to see stuff like that. just saying
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back then wars and battles were a common occurance. There were no bank vaults, so it was common to bury coins in walls or underground for protection. If the person who buried them didn't survive the battle the coins could be there for centuries.
    I love them Barber Halves.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file