Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Neat "slabbed" Morgan

toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am always intrigued by how coins were "slabbed" back in the day. I am not sure if this is before or after the advent of TPG's, but I found it interesting.

I am curious if anyone knows anything about the folks who did this.

I really like the use of A, AA, and AAA to denote everything from toning to eye appeal. Note the security seals on the top and bottom as well as being signed by the person assigning all those As.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool history there and no B's, C's, D's or F's !!!!!!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool. I think I might have one of those in the old slab chambers!
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Looks like they were a little generous with the grades on your example. But it certainly is a cool look into how competition in the marketplace shaped up during that time.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does DJ stand for and who is D. Zubar?
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grading system of days gone by..... wonder what grading will look like fifty years from now??

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats different
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if having "AAA" blemishes is a good thing, or not.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a simplified version of A.H.'s "Accugrade", whatever one might think that was.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat "slab" from the early days. Although I don't know for sure, it has the same "look" that a number of "slabs" have from the mid-late 1980s. There were a few "companies" (likely in-house slabbers targeting investors) that used these type of screw-down holders ... sometimes with certificates. Thanks for posting!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    A triple A Morgan. Not bad. image

Mike
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FPG not TPG.

There wouldn't have been grades lower than A because they wouldn't have bothered to select them for sale to their customers.
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The holder looks as though it might be a bit larger than a PCGS Regency holder.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file