Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Disapointed

JcldJcld Posts: 449 ✭✭✭
So I got back what I thought was a 1918/7 S overdate quarter back from PCGS today. It came back as a straight 1918 S. I guess I was misinterpreting what I was seeing.

What do you think?

http://www.pcgs.com/cert/80891592

Comments

• Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    If it's in referencing the trueview photo on your link, it surely looks like the 1918/7. Did you pay for the variety attribution for this submission?
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Not my series, but even I can see the overdate That one will be headed back.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    My first double post!
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Mechanical error ?
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the variety from the photo. This is a variety you shouldn't have to pay for (I think). It's a major variety like the 1955 DDO 1c etc., that is automatic. Definitely send back for review or show to an expert.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you indicated the RedBook description in the variety box, PCGS should have put it on the label, unless they thought that the 8 was simply distorted by post Mint damage. Doesn't appear that way to me. Call Customer Service and ask for a 2nd review.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is clearly a no question overdate, no need to pay for attribution, it has a standard coin number. Clearly a typo /mechanical error. :

My question is : did you assign coin number or have them do it?
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does PCGS still have the coin? If so, is there anyway to have them hold it and fix it? If not, I would send it right back and have them fix the problem.

Nice coin by the way. Did you buy it as an 18/7 or was it a cherrypick?
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Send it back noting their error of omission ...
    They should assume all liability for postage &
    insurance.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send it to me. I'll inspect it, as well as admire it for a while.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup...it's the overdate.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see the top of the 7 as it should be there.

I think is it a result of a post mint metal moving via a hit or two.

bobimage

PS: mintmark is different shape as well.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overdate!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: AUandAG

bobimage

I hope your just goofing because the top of the 7 is clear as day. The S has taken a hit so that the top of it is flattened out.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send it back. Someone messed up. It happens.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's only about a $4,700 difference between the two. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sparky64

It's only about a $4,700 difference between the two. image

Yep, no doubt a 1918/7 that was mislabeled.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jtlee321

bobimage

I hope your just goofing because the top of the 7 is clear as day. The S has taken a hit so that the top of it is flattened out.

Wow,and I have a 2015, government approved, Federal weights and measures certified, dual lens, 1,000 gigabit, Viewmaster monitor and I don't see the crossbar!!!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure I can see the small die chip that is to the right and above the date. I know that mistakes happen, but geez Louise, that one is a whopper. image
  • Options
    Send it back and ask them to fix that, it had to be mislabeled unless I'm seeing things in that pic.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jtlee321

bobimage

Wow,and I have a 2015, government approved, Federal weights and measures certified, dual lens, 1,000 gigabit, Viewmaster monitor and I don't see the crossbar!!!

bobimage

Ahhhh.... You need at least the 2,000 gigabit.. That explains it. LOL
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Furthermore, I too am interested if this is a cherrypick or did you knowingly buy it as the variety. That is a heck of a coin!!
  • Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I found the coin in a hoard of coins that I inherited. It was in the 1918 slot of an old Whitman book.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big find!
    Im surprised Pcgs missed it, but again we beg the question: did you sibmit it under the 1918/7-s variety number?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will gladly pay full PCGS value based on that cert verification image

Nice find! Question: on your form did you enter the PCGS coin number for the 8/7 variety?
  • Options
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jcld
    Thank you all for the replies. I found the coin in a hoard of coins that I inherited. It was in the 1918 slot of an old Whitman book.

Wow - nice find image

As said, call PCGS to get if fixed.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The normal sized Certificate Verification the image is quite apparent, using the http://images.pcgs.com/trueview/80891592 the sloping portion of the "7" is painfully obvious.

Perhaps this coin went through either on a Monday or Friday. image
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Thanks again for all the responses, although I have been collecting coins for a while, I am new to the certification and grading process. I submitted the coin with the number for the 8/7 quarter. Even if I didn't though shouldn't' PCGS have made the correction when they discovered that the coin number that was submitted wasn't accurate?

I had some half eagles graded and those types were changed from how I submitted them during the process.

But yes I will call them and see what they will do for me.

thanks
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jcld
    Thanks again for all the responses, although I have been collecting coins for a while, I am new to the certification and grading process. I submitted the coin with the number for the 8/7 quarter. Even if I didn't though shouldn't' PCGS have made the correction when they discovered that the coin number that was submitted wasn't accurate?

I had some half eagles graded and those types were changed from how I submitted them during the process.

But yes I will call them and see what they will do for me.

thanks

It is definitely a mechanical error that PCGS should fix for free. The graders probably concurred that it was attributed correctly and then the wrong label was printed during the slabbing process.

To answer your second question, yes, even if you submitted it with the "1918-S" number, they usually will see the variety and attribute it as such. I once submitted an 1880-S Morgan that they saw was the 1880/9-S variety and they holdered it as such.

Great story here -- this is big reason why I come to these boards image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great find.... I agree, it is the overdate..... and to find it in an old collection, super!!

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    with no ill intent here

pcgs customer service is great and only a phone call away

was this sent in on an express?...by all rights this should of been sent in on express service level

or reg service level?

did you note in the variety note section that this was the overdate?
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet coin indeed! Send it back and get that fixed.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DCW
    Big find!
    Im surprised Pcgs missed it, but again we beg the question: did you sibmit it under the 1918/7-s variety number?

So........(blink emoticon) we are to believe while the graders are examining this coin under their stereoscopes, they take note of the 8/7 but proof-reading the submission form to find no number or a check mark in a box they'll not enter the variety into their computers. The labels come later or are they still using post-its?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that sure looks like an over date to me as well.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

are the tpg "obligated" to state a variety on the insert for ones they do for free?

if you note variety on the form, seems it would prompt an attribution fee unless the correct (gratis) coin number is cited on the form.

ive wondered for a while.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I understand, if it is a MAJOR variety, no fee. If it is a Die Variety or Minor Variety then the $18 kicker comes in to play.

The 1918/7-S is a Major Variety, therefore no fee should be required.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Hiya

Ya it was sent in at Express level, and I had the correct coin number in the submission. I will call customer service as soon as I am able.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you're going to call.

Customer service will take good care of you.

They will give you detailed instructions on how to return it.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    respectable enough there

yup

customer service will fix you right up

huge congrats on merely finding this tucked in that album

what an exciting moment in life that had to be
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    I couldn't believe what I was looking at when I first took it out of the book. I initially was going to leave the 2 dozen or so books alone and just focus on the thousands of raw loose coins, but after looking at one book and realizing that there were several coins in the wrong places, i decided to take them all out and catalog them. I am glad I did.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on that find, very few people would have spotted it. "Fortune favors the prepared mind"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file