Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I think I know what is meant by the term "Wannabe Dealer" now

Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
I went to Heritage lot pickup this morning to pay for the single lot I won last night. There was an old guy in the seat next to me. I noticed that he had bought a proof Seated Dollar and a couple of proof Trade Dollars. These are the type of coins that interest me; so, I started a conversation with him.

I asked him how long he had been collecting. I literally expected him to say something like 60 to 70 years. Instead he said that he didn't begin collecting until he retired about 10 years ago.

The three coins he bought were all blast white. He was particularly proud of his PR60 Seated Dollar that he had paid low end PR63 money to obtain. He told me that it was way under graded. Despite decent mirrors, the coin was covered in hairlines and was lucky to be in a straight graded holder. I don't think he could see the hairlines.

He also told me that he was a big fan of CAC. He demonstrated his confidence in CAC by showing me that his PR63 CAC Trade Dollar was a nicer looking coin than his PR61 non-CAC Trade Dollar. I politely mentioned that they were two grade points apart.

The guy then tells me all these coins are for sale, and he has a booth at the show. I was stunned. He can't grade and he overpaid for a problem coin, I figured he was just an old fool having fun.

Later I stopped at his booth, full of coins priced at double retail, and offered to sell a few of the similar proofs that I had brought to the show to consign to someone else. He passed on all of them, since they didn't have the dipped blast white look he admired.

Comments

• Options
    You can find a bunch of those on the BST.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can lead them to water ,but........................
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For all you know he could have done well at the show. There are many people who are not fans of toned coins. He may have done great with customers who shared his taste.....
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Cougar1978

For all you know he could have done well at the show. There are many people who are not fans of toned coins. He may have done great with customers who shared his taste.....

There is certainly a market for blast white coins, even blast white proof type; however, this gentleman's lack of basic skills makes me doubt that he does well anywhere.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know a guy like this. He could not grade a coin if his life depended on it. He buys nearly every coin he can get his hands on and they are all from auctions. In his opinion he basically stole them. I've tried to explain things to him and he just wont listen. An example of something he got a really good deal on. He bought several of those framed cardboard holders that contain around 20 Mercury Dimes. Everyone of them is a common coin that had been heavily circulated, then polished and over the years developed a deep purple like tone. He's convinced that because of the toning each dime is worth at least $30.00. I tried to tell him that they are worth no more than melt, because the coins were circulated, common and been polished. I tried to tell him that polishing a coin destroys it's numismatic value. He replied with "Not if it was professionally polished". I just had to cringe.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

If he is having fun in retirement, more power to him! What booth is he at, I am going to stop tomorrow and offer him some whities!

• Options
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

If he is having fun in retirement, more power to him! What booth is he at, I am going to stop tomorrow and offer him some whities!

If you're serious, send me a PM and I'll look up his booth number.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bad thing for me is that I have an uncle worse than that. He buys dipped out and polished junk, and won't listen. Another bad thing is that he has money.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Where do you think eBay coins come from image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: shorecoll
    The bad thing for me is that I have an uncle worse than that. He buys dipped out and polished junk, and won't listen. Another bad thing is that he has money.

The guy in my post is the same. He has money and nearly no knowledge. If I had his money, I could amass a really nice collection. It's a shame to watch.

His latest brag to me is a 1958 DDO Lincoln Cent. It's still in the mint cello package and it's in great shape because it's proof. He verified it by looking at it through his microscope.

Just listening to it hurts...
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I hope this gentleman made a lot of money in his first profession.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    I just shook my head yesterday as I watched people bid each other up on that PF-60 Seated Dollar, I guess they missed the memo on what a coin is to grade 60 nowadays- excluding gold of course.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jtlee321

The guy in my post is the same. He has money and nearly no knowledge. If I had his money, I could amass a really nice collection. It's a shame to watch.

His latest brag to me is a 1958 DDO Lincoln Cent. It's still in the mint cello package and it's in great shape because it's proof. He verified it by looking at it through his microscope.

Since you say it's a proof cent, I don't think it's THE 1958 DDO. The coin from Cherrypicker's lore.

• Options
    Originally posted by: kookoox10

Since you say it's a proof cent, I don't think it's THE 1958 DDO. The coin from Cherrypicker's lore.

That was the whole point. Listening to him tell me about it, I knew there was no way it was the '58 DDO. He does not know the difference between a proof and business strike. It's just ludicrous.
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: kookoox10

That was the whole point. Listening to him tell me about it, I knew there was no way it was the '58 DDO. He does not know the difference between a proof and business strike. It's just ludicrous.

I gotcha. So it appears like he's the type of individual that doesn't like professional criticism either? The folks who are set in their ways are a tough crowd to deal with. And if they're coin dealers, whew, watch out!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bayard1908 I figured he was just an old fool having fun.

Bingo! image

He's likely enjoying himself despite the fact.

Good luck to him. I imagine he'll need it. image

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jtlee321 He replied with "Not if it was professionally polished". I just had to cringe.

That's too funny
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gentleman is likely just enjoying retirement, having fun with a new interest and not in the least concerned about 'making a fortune'. Also, he probably is not concerned about losing his previously acquired wealth..... I wish him well... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It continues to amaze me that many,if not most, of the new breed of collectors will not inspect a prospective purchase with a loupe.

When one can no longer see hairlines on a coin with a 10x loupe it may be time to get into a new hobby,a hobby other than coin collecting.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wannabes come in all ages, shapes, sizes, and forms. image
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hear this all the time, craftsmen, and pros of all trades taking a jab at some competitor or saying something that's a knock against their style, knowledge or workmanship. Sure it's hard to resist sometimes, but it really makes you look like the amateur. When my colleges get into this I always say, be you, let your work speak for itself and work your own corner. Have a grateful heart that someone showed you what others missed. Wanna-be dealer is a harsh way of describing a fellow hobbyist as were all constantly evolving.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: WildIdea

... Wanna-be dealer is a harsh way of describing a fellow hobbyist as we're all constantly evolving.

I agree.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the wannabe, hate the coin.
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoKopeiki
    ... Wanna-be dealer is a harsh way of describing a fellow hobbyist as we're all constantly evolving.

I agree.

+1
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Hear this all the time, craftsmen, and pros of all trades taking a jab at some competitor or saying something that's a knock against their style, knowledge or workmanship. Sure it's hard to resist sometimes, but it really makes you look like the amateur. When my colleges get into this I always say, be you, let your work speak for itself and work your own corner. Have a grateful heart that someone showed you what others missed. Wanna-be dealer is a harsh way of describing a fellow hobbyist as were all constantly evolving.

Perhaps you don't realize that the term "wannabe dealer" has been used multiple times in the blog of an often-cited-former-board member.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed it. It's petty so I'll drop it.

There are stud dealers for sure. I know a few that are super knowledgable, kind and have great charisma and never make me feel like a schlep. I might not ever become one but being a good coin dealer doesn't look impossible either. I'd rather see a thread where everybody says what it is that makes you a decent or good and even a beloved dealer personality. What works, what doesn't. What makes you a purist collector or not. What are your dealer motives. Can you and why can't you be both collector and dealer. Why does it have to be one side of the table or the other and not fluid.

Some dealers seem to have it all going right. I bet it didn't start out so polished. Others mostly dialed in, some a disaster. It's sometimes simple to see from the outside what's going right or not. Collectors as well seem to have things in focus and others really not, but hey it's a free country so go for whatever. My way isn't the only way and I'm sure I learn more when I'm open to other possibilities.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find a distinct difference between someone who "wants to be" a dealer and a "wannabe." Many of us have known, and perhaps even coached/mentored, dealers who are just starting up. Generally, those who "want to be" a dealer ask lots of questions, recognize that there is a learning curve, seek advice, and are constantly learning.

The "wannabe" dealer is that person who claims to know everything already, yet has little real knowledge. "Wannabes" repel advice, act with bravado, claim a near divine passage through numismatics, but whose wares don't match their self-perceived grandiosity.

I think "want to be" dealers are great and I respect their drive to learn. I find "wannabe" dealers entertaining and hope one day the light bulb in their mind goes off.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they have a booth at a show, they are clearly a dealer. It also seems you have a different preference for coins than what they offer.
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: astrorat

I find adistinct difference between someone who "wants to be" a dealer and a "wannabe." Many of us have known, and perhaps even coached/mentored, dealers who are just starting up. Generally, those who "want to be" a dealer asks lots of questions, recognize that there is a learning curve, seek advice, and are constantly learning.

The "wannabe" dealer is that person who claims to know everything already, yet has little real knowledge. "Wannabes" repel advice, act with bravado, claim a near divine passage through numismatics, but whose wares don't match their self-perceived grandiosity.

I think "want to be" dealers are great and I respect their drive to learn. I find "wannabe" dealers entertaining and hope one day the light bulb in their mind goes off.

Well said, IMO.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides you don't know his personal situation - sitting all day, peacefully at a coin show, shooting the with other geezers, showing people his coins a couple times and selling nothing - might be a whale of a lot better that what he left at home...
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped at the guys table yesterday, Totally nice people from Eau Claire, WI. Believe it or not, I spent the most time at that table than any others. They had slab binders covering the entire Peace and Morgan series. They were overpriced, but the selection was really good. I did not find anything I wanted, but he was willing to deal with others that came past.

He inherited a collection late in life and then started doing what he does. He only goes to shows, and mostly smaller ones.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everwannabe ?
  • Options

I stopped at the guys table yesterday, Totally nice people from Eau Claire, WI. Believe it or not, I spent the most time at that table than any others. They had slab binders covering the entire Peace and Morgan series. They were overpriced, but the selection was really good. I did not find anything I wanted, but he was willing to deal with others that came past.

He inherited a collection late in life and then started doing what he does. He only goes to shows, and mostly smaller ones.

I hadn't heard about the inheritance, interesting. Sounds like he's just having some fun late in life.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file