Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would a BU coin grade cleanly with an improper alloy mix(woodie)?

Just curious because I've heard a few things about the subject. But I have a real nice BU Buffalo Nickel that has a real pretty woodie appearance. Does our host grade these cleanly or will they come back as details?

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    You'll have to post a picture.
    An alloy metal mix in the planchet that has toned wouldn't affect the grade.

But if there were some post mint environmental damage, then you would get a details grade.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a gorgeous 1863 IHC "woody" in PCGS AU58 recently.

I have not gotten around to having this one imaged yet, sellers image;

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    so long as it's improper alloy mix

it will grade cleanly

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is considered a problem-free coin as far as grading, but some folks do not like the eye appeal of such pieces.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TomB

It is considered a problem-free coin as far as grading, but some folks do not like the eye appeal of such pieces.

This is true, but some people enjoy the appearance of a fine woodie!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help guys. Before last week, i've been on hiatus from coins for about 8 months. I'm not sure how to upload photos to the new website, I tried a few days ago and failed miserably. Anyone have a link to a previously started thread about photo uploads?
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    tinypic.com

it's free n easy to use

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that if it was minted by the US it would straight grade.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep... wood grain coins straight grade.... there are many examples that have been shown here.

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Sorry for the wait, but here is the coin. I'm not a pro coin photographer, but it's the best I can do. What are your thoughts?
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's cool.
    It's got kind of a sunset thing going on
  • Options
    I'm really interested in seeing a true view of the coin. It looks so much more robust in person. My photography doesn't do it justice.
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That should straight grade no problem. I love the looks of those improper alloy mixed coins..
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good pictures. SHould straight grade.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a nice looking coin and your pictures are excellent. Even though it will almost certainly grade, it's probably not worth submitting. You'd need at least a 66 to make it cost effective.
  • Options
    Finally got to see your Indian Head Nickel...it should have no worries.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Nice Buff and pics image
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'm going to be the outsider. IMO, there is no such thing as a "woody" nickel. In my experience, almost without exception, the dark brown (usually) stains (usually in horizontal streaks) is an oxidization reaction with the metal, incomplete alloy mix, or impurities. It just does not look good on nickel coins. That said, the OP's coin is lightly stained yet attractive so this one should be OK. Darker stains are often "detailed" as environmental damage.

I know most of you know this: "Woodies" is a term that is reserved for copper coins with incomplete alloy mixes; often including laminations. Think of stirring a vanilla shake while dribbles of chocolate syrup are added causing streaks. Woodies are coins struck on streaked planchets.

I prefer the more attractive (to me) crystalline type of improper alloy where a brown coin has "block-like" brass colored crystallization on its surface.
  • Options
    So, Insider2, you are going to "go against the grain"? (pun intended)

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file