Home Sports Talk
Options

I fear for Dub Nation today

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hope I'm wrong. Would be a real shame.

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Curry is unable to play in the remainder of the 2016 playoffs due to ankle and knee injuries that would be a major set back for him.

It would also be a major blow to the team in its quest for a second title in a row.

However, the team has an incredibly deep and talented roster that plays together as a team. I could easily see the Warriors, without Curry, continuing to play well and hoisting the trophy in mid June.

If the road to another championship for the Warriors goes through (after finishing off Houston in Round 1) the Clippers (or Portland), San Antonio (or OKC) and then Cleveland and the Warriors hoist another trophy the people who have doubted this team should cave in and admit that it is the best pro hoops team playing over the past 2 seasons.

If the knee injury to Curry is merely a strain that needs rest and treatment for 10-15 days, he could be back in time for Round 3.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: SanctionII

I could easily see the Warriors, without Curry, continuing to play well and hoisting the trophy in mid June.

Sanction I like you, but there is zero chance of this. Without him, their season is effectively over.

Even without him for ~two weeks, they are really going to be up against it. I do not think they would get by LAC without Curry, and I have my doubts whether they'd even be able to do so if a 75% Curry returns in the middle of the series.

See how rusty he was prior to being re-injured? Not only did he shoot poorly, but he was clearly favoring that gimpy ankle, as hard cuts beyond the arc and explosions to the cup were few and far between. And that was after missing two games. Can you imagine what it will be like after two or so weeks with a bum knee tossed in for good measure? There will be no time to iron out the kinks against a travesty like the Rockets. They will be in a dogfight for their playoff lives against much better competition (most likely the Clippers), with an even better team (SAS or OKC) waiting in the wings.

No doubt his teammates are going to leave it all out on the court. But no matter how much collective talent remains (and there will still be quite a bit), it will not be the same without him. You can't remove the best player in basketball from any squad and possibly expect it to be.

I'll give you this. If you're right and the Warriors somehow manage to overcome this to the tune of another championship, Curry's cards should be worth a million dollars apiece. Maybe two.

• Options
    Galaxy27.

You my be right. No doubt the Warriors will not be as good without Curry.

We shall see how the team plays in game 5 on Wednesday against Houston at home. If the Warriors win they will have time rest up for round 2.
  • Options
    If I were a GSW fan, I'd have one leg on the Blazers' bandwagon right about now. They probably won't best the Clippers, but even if they can extend the series to 6 or 7 games, that's a winning proposition.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Chris Paul is out for the playoffs with a broken hand, and Blake Griffin is not 100%. The Dubs will steamroll over the Clips if they meet in round 2.
  • Options
    With Chris Paul out with a broken hand and Blake Griffin having leg problems the Clippers may end up losing to Portland in round 1. Hopefully the Clippers v Blazers series will go 7 games so that round 2 does not start until the latest possible date to give Curry time to heal.

The Eastern Conference first round series are very competitive with 3 of them tied at 2-2. With the exception of Clippers v Blazers round 1 of the Western Conference has not been competitive. The Warriors should close out Houston tomorrow night in Oakland. A let down by the Warriors is not likely and a 15 point lead over Houston in the game will likely see the Rockets toss in the towel.
  • Options
    The landscape in the West is being turned upside down by the game. Just when it appeared as if Golden St. was going to be in trouble as soon as R2, the hoops gods evened out the score somewhat.

Now I wouldn't even think about bringing Curry back to play against either LAC or Portland, even if he's cleared to play. The surrounding cast can get them to the Conference Finals.

Looking forward, if SAS & OKC slug it out and go seven, that game will be played on May 15. I'd imagine G1 of the Western Conference Finals would then start on May 17. That's more than three weeks for Steph to heal.
  • Options
    Assuming that the Warriors finish off Houston (probably a safe bet) and play in Round 2 against either the Clippers or Portland, I do not see Curry playing at all (unless he makes a quick and speedy recovery and the Warriors are down in the series).
  • Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Injuries aren't always what they seem to be in the playoffs. Remember Serge Ibaka being "out for the rest of the playoffs" in 2014, then coming back by game 3 against the Spurs?

I still think the West still comes down to the Warriors-Spurs, and Curry will be playing in that series. It's still a long way off....
  • Options
    Warriors routed Houston by 33 last night without Curry to advance to the second round. My hope for a series between the Warriors and Clippers is likely to be dashed since CP and Griffin are out with injuries and Portland is up 3-2.

Whoever the Warriors play in round 2 I think the depth of the Warriors will prevail. Maybe by the time round 3 takes place Curry will be back.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Even without Curry I think the Warriors would be favored in every series and should still win the championship. They are an excellent team. I am not a fan but hard not to be impressed by them.
  • Options
    One thing about the Warriors this year is that most of their losses have been to teams that have losing records. In the regular season they were 20-1 against the top teams in the league, the only loss being to the Spurs in San Antonio.

The Warriors seem to play their best when facing good competition. Further the playoffs have a different vibe than the regular season since if you lose you go home. The intensity ramps up in the playoffs and the Warriors have been putting on a clinic so far (albeit against the lowly Rockets).
  • Options
    After the opening games in round 2 in the Western Conference, I must say that I really hope that both the Spurs and the Warriors win and play each other the the Western Conference Finals.

Both teams demolished their opposition. OKC and Portland have 2 players who can score at will, but lack the depth that both the Spurs and Warriors have.

For the Warriors, it would be nice to see the Portland series go 5 or 6 games so that Curry (if he heals) can play in games 4-6 and get back into the swing of things. Then bring on the Spurs for a knockdown hard fought 7 game series to see who will advance to the NBA Finals (presumably to play Cleveland).
  • Options
    Will Curry play in Game 3 in Portland???

My guess is no.

If the Warriors win game 3 and Curry is cleared to play in game 4, have him play 20-25 minutes to shake the rust off.

Or do not play him at all and see if the Warriors win in 4. Wait to play him in the WCF.

Thus far the Warriors are doing just fine without their MVP.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys keep hoping series will go 7 games so Curry can get rest.

The whole playoff schedule is set as if each series goes 7 games so it does not matter.

On GSW winning the whole thing without Curry........I don't know if they can beat Cleveland without him. The Cavs look good!
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    17 points in OT for Curry?! image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steph looked great last night.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    What a fantastic game last night.

Curry is unbelievable.
  • Options
    looks like our fears are unfounded.
  • Options
    Portland played at a very high level and had the upper hand in most of games 2-5 in the series. However the Warriors fought back in the late stages of these games to win 4-1. Hats off to the Blazers.

On to round 3 for the Warriors against OKC or the Spurs for the right to advance and play for a title. I suspect that round three will be as competitive or even more competitive as the Portland series was.
  • Options
    So, how do you think golden state matches up against okc?

• Options
    Fast paced, high scoring games. The Warriors' depth will be a plus, though the OKC players not named Durant and Westbrook stepped up and played great against the Spurs.

Basketball fans who do not root for either team will want this series to go 7 games.

I think both teams will win at least one road game. I also expect at least one overtime game and a couple of games decided on a game winning shot. Curry, Thompson, Durant and Westbrook will all score 30 or more points in one or more games. In fact all four may top 30 points in the same game.

Looking forward to Game 1.
  • Options
    The GSW and OKC games will be a lights shoot around for 4 quarters every game.

There will be a bunch of great shooters on the floor for both teams. Curry is the best 3 point shooter in the game.....ever!
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would like to see OKC advance, but the feeling here is Dubs in 6.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    The Dubs play better D than the Thunder, and that will be the difference in the series. Dubs in five.
  • Options
    Game 1 tonight. Should be very entertaining.
  • Options
    OKC is very good, but there is a reason GSW swept them during the season.image
  • Options
    Just like that, Game 2 is must-win for the Warriors. They best come out with a sense of urgency, because OKC is not going to be content with a split. They smell blood now. If they steal another on Wednesday night, GSW will have one leg in the grave.

Going forward, the scariest of stats if you're a Dubs fan:

Durant & Westbrook shot a combined 33% from the field and they still won the game.

ETA: I don't know how much more of the officiating I can take in the NBA. By far the worst in any major sport. Traveling should just be eliminated from the rulebook altogether. If Russell Westbrook dragging his pivot foot two feet doesn't elicit a whistle, nothing will. Now we all anxiously wait with bated breath for the Last Two Minute Report to see how many blown calls there were!
  • Options
    The Warriors had OKC down by double digits and failed to deliver a knockout punch. The Warriors played sloppy, had stupid turnovers, shot poorly from the three point line, failed to make an effort to go after offensive rebounds, failed to block out allowing OKC to get second chance points and could not find their usual flow.

The Warriors have to play much better.

The OKC players not named Durant and Westbrook are really playing well. Adams is very good in the paint.
  • Options
    It used to be that in the playoffs, the refs let them be much more physical. The game is not the same this century - in the regular season, they really protect shooters. But, it does seems like in the playoffs this year, they are not calling much in the last few minutes of the games (even pushes from people taking the ball out, and travels!). That is going to hurt GS and their small ball....
  • Options
    I am glad OKC could win one to at least make it interesting.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: galaxy27
    Just like that, Game 2 is must-win for the Warriors. They best come out with a sense of urgency, because OKC is not going to be content with a split. They smell blood now. If they steal another on Wednesday night, GSW will have one leg in the grave.

Going forward, the scariest of stats if you're a Dubs fan:

Durant & Westbrook shot a combined 33% from the field and they still won the game.

ETA: I don't know how much more of the officiating I can take in the NBA. By far the worst in any major sport. Traveling should just be eliminated from the rulebook altogether. If Russell Westbrook dragging his pivot foot two feet doesn't elicit a whistle, nothing will. Now we all anxiously wait with bated breath for the Last Two Minute Report to see how many blown calls there were!

• Options
    Series now 1-1 after the Warriors blew out OKC tonight.

Games 3 and 4 on OKC coming up.
  • Options
    It got tenuous again at the end of the second quarter, 'cept this time a bomb detonated. That's the type of GSW onslaught we've become accustomed to witnessing. I think OKC tried to steal another roadie, but they were quickly forced to be content with a split. lol

Game 3 predictions, anyone?
  • Options
    Excluding garbage time, OKC employs an eight man rotation, while the Dubs play 10-11 players in their rotation. Imo that's why the knockout punches are delivered late in games, the Warriors are still fresh as the fourth quarter rolls around, while the other teams are spent.
  • Options
    I think GSW will take this series, but the question is......can anybody play with the Cavs right now!

Stick a fork in Toronto......they are DONE!
  • Options
    Wow, OKC showed in game 3 they can run with (and out-run) GS, and they still have the big guys to out-rebound them. With D.Green possibly out for the next game due to his contraceptive kick, GS could be all but done if they go down 3-1.
  • Options
    I desperately wanted to say OKC in 6 prior to this series, but I was a coward. When everyone -- and I mean everyone -- is heading one direction and you go the opposite way, you're setting yourself up for some serious ridicule. lol

But seriously, this was my thinking. If you closely watched the series each team played prior to this one, what's transpiring should really come as no surprise.

Portland was a team that no one expected to make the playoffs, let alone force a 73-win squad to sweat come postseason. Well, not only did they give GSW everything they could handle and more, but I'll go so far as to say the Dubs would not have advanced without the return of Curry.

Meanwhile, OKC ambushed a 67-win Spurs team -- winning not one, but two games at the AT&T Center where only one visiting team won during the reg season. Why was this rather sizable feat overlooked by so many?

So what we saw during those respective series has carried over into this one. OKC is firing on all cylinders, beating the Warriors at their very own game -- scoring in droves. Durant & Westbrook are outplaying Curry & Thompson. OKC bigs are outplaying the GSW bigs. The Thunder is even receiving key, unexpected contributions from guys like Waiters & Roberson that are nullifying GSW's perceived depth advantage.

Simply put, the Dubs look inferior out there. You could even make the argument that their run up to this point has emptied much of the tank. They look a step slower than OKC. How else can you explain giving up 45 points in one quarter and 117 thru three? Those are mind-numbing figures.

As I type this, the league just tossed the Warriors a life preserver by not suspending Draymond Green. I love the way he leaves it all out on the court, but he should not be playing tomorrow night. His reputation precedes him. He can't keep his mouth shut, and apparently he can't keep his foot out of Steven Adams' crotch. It looked very intentional to this pair of eyes, but that's just my opinion. How Dahntay Jones can receive a one-gamer for what he did but DG emerges unscathed is beyond me. Clearly the league wants both teams at full strength tomorrow night. I doubt another 40-point deficit in the 3rd quarter is what the Association covets.

The Warriors have faced adversity before -- down 1-2 to Memphis in last year's playoffs, and down 1-2 to the Cavs in the Finals. They prevailed each time, but this feels much different. That was a beatdown of epic proportions last night. At some point you just have to acknowledge that one team is better than the other. With that said, no team is better at bouncing back than Golden State. They have yet to lose back-to-back games in 15-16.

For the sake of their season, that streak better not end tomorrow night.

• Options
    Better take that fork out of Toronto and stick it in the Cavs. Can the Cavs stop the bleeding??????
  • Options
    GS is done. Those 73 wins don't look so important anymore....
  • Options
    OKC is playing much better than the Warriors. After games 3 and 4 it appears that OKC simply wants it more than the Warriors. It would not surprise me to see OKC to win game 5 tomorrow in Oakland to advance to the finals. It is highly unlikely that the Warriors can win the next 3 games.

If OKC does win, I would favor them to win the title over Cleveland or Toronto.
  • Options
    Don't count the Warriors out yet! IF they can win game 6 at OKC they will do it.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SanctionII

OKC is playing much better than the Warriors. After games 3 and 4 it appears that OKC simply wants it more than the Warriors. It would not surprise me to see OKC to win game 5 tomorrow in Oakland to advance to the finals. It is highly unlikely that the Warriors can win the next 3 games.

If OKC does win, I would favor them to win the title over Cleveland or Toronto.

OKC has SUPERIOR athletes. That don't guarentee a win but it doesn't hurt especially against a tired Warriors squad

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    If Golden State wins tomorrow night, I'll be floored. I would love to witness a G7 between these two, but I just can't see it happening. Then again, there's a lot of things I couldn't see happening before, yet they could easily be seen.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Get Bogut involved. Get Westbrook out of his rhythm. Two key components for GS to pull this off. It can be done.
  • Options
    Game 5 goes to the Warriors. If the Warriors can get a lead at halftime in game 6 the pressure on OKC in the second half will be intense. OKC will not want to lose twice and play a game 7 in Oakland.

The Warriors played much better last night and their season lives on for at least 1 more game.

I would love to see a game 7 with it going to double overtime and a game winning shot as time expires. Whoever wins this series will, I hope, win the title.
  • Options
    Would make an exciting game 7. I hope it goes 7.
  • Options
    The Warriors played disciplined team basketball in the 4th quarter. OKC did not. OKC made mistakes and wilted under the pressure of a tight game.

Game 7 on Monday will be interesting. The Warriors will have momentum, confidence and home court. I wonder how OKC will respond to its game 6 loss. Will they play well as a team, or will they crumble and rely too much on their 2 star players?

Stay tuned.
  • Options
    After game 4 I thought it was over. But now that it's going back to gs, I think the warriors will come out on top. Whoever wins, I hope they embarrass LeBron in the finals.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if OKC can recover from that game 6 loss.

All credit to GS for the never die performance but come on.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress