Home U.S. Coin Forum

2 new common Morgan Dollars--original 1889-cc added

TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
I own precisely 1 Morgan dollar, a fully original AU 1889-cc. I love the coin and the look, but I've always sold mine, usually for a small profit. However, at Baltimore, I bought 2 more Morgan dollars...the 1880-s had been in a 2x2 paper envelope for 20+ years, I was told, and the 1904-O was just pretty. They graded 66 and 65 respectively. I had the grades reversed, and thought the 04-O was the higher graded coin. The 1880-S must have gotten a bump for originality. In any event, they are hard to pass up this nice, even if they are quite common in these grades.

Tom

Comments

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those babies are very Nice! I love the 80s...she has the look of a coin that sat in a SDB for a long while undisturbed...Cool finds and Congrats!
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them both. But the surface of the 04 is gorgeous.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

To heck with these 2, show us the 89-CC in AU!

(I like the 1904-O better!)
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both very solid coins, with 2 very different looks
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grip
    I like them both. But the surface of the 04 is gorgeous.

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

To heck with these 2, show us the 89-CC in AU!

(I like the 1904-O better!)

Here is is....This coin came out of a half a bag of common dollars...it's amazing that coins like this are still found...not by me, but by dealers and others out there. Anyway, the better date was found by a dealer who sold it to me. Most better date dollars have cleaned or improved, but this one is not and I appreciate that. I bought it raw for 45 money, basically. When I got it home, I realized that it had a lot of luster for an xf and I figured it could go 50. I think it got a bump for originality.

Curiously, I have seen very few original au 89-cc prior to 2016. Recently, it seems that a number of nice coins have shown up in auctions. And they seem to have held their value.

Tom

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.. I really like the look of the '80-S. The '89-CC is gorgeous, I can just see some cowboy plucking her down to buy a round for the house to celebrate a special occasion. Then after a brief run through town from merchant to merchant, some collector puts her to bed for the next 10 decades...
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Very nice 04-O but I really like the look of the 80-S.

Mike
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 04.... I would have graded it a point higher... Cheers, RickO
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1904-O is beautiful!
    I love that 1889-CC too!
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the image, I am surprised the 04-O was only graded 65. It has a very strong strike for an 04-O - many if not most of those are weakly struck.
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the 04-O is nice and I had hoped it would 65PL or 66. Often, however, when I get my grades back I come around to PCGS's view. Not always, but most of the time. The 04-O is clean, but it does not deserve PL status. And it has a few more ticks on it than shown in PCGS's True View, so overall, I think mid to high end 65 is the right grade.

The 89-CC is way cool, because this was found in a half-bag of dollars last year! Can you believe that? I am amazed and I want to know where these un-searched bags of dollars are and where I can find them, but no one will tell me. I suspect the answer is that there are very few, if any, still around.

Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file