Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there any way to pay for Heritage auctions using a credit card?

I've paid HA using a credit card before, but IIRC the maximum is $2,500 for a credit card payment.

In looking at their Help section on Payment Options, they don't even mention credit cards as an option.

I'm looking at a couple of coins coming up that would total about $15k if I win them. I can get 2% cash back using my credit card, so that's $300 I can save.

I know HA has to pay ~3% in CC fees, but they're charging 17.5% in BP so I think the 3% should just be part of their cost of doing business.

Does anyone know a way to pay with a CC on invoices over their $2,500 limit?

From their Help page:

Payment Options

For expedited shipping or delivery in person, upon receipt of your invoice, please remit payment a bank wire, cashier's check or bank money order. Clients with pre-arranged credit status will receive immediate credit for payments via eCheck, personal or corporate checks. All others will be subject to a hold of 5 days, or more, for the funds to clear prior to releasing merchandise.

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    They definitely will not let you pay a $15k invoice with a CC.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, you can't. I came across a similar situation on a $4k invoice and ended up paying the max $2500 and the balance on PayPal. I had to call it in to one of their reps.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: kookoox10
    Yeah, you can't. I came across a similar situation on a $4k invoice and ended up paying the max $2500 and the balance on PayPal. I had to call it in to one of their reps.

So you can do a split tender with $2500 on a CC and the rest on PayPal?

At least that gets me $50.

But PP charges 3% as well, so what's the difference.

If I can split it using PP then I should be able to use a credit card to fund the PP transaction. Why won't that work?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

Originally posted by: kookoox10

So you can do a split tender with $2500 on a CC and the rest on PayPal?

At least that gets me $50.

But PP charges 3% as well, so what's the difference.

If I can split it using PP then I should be able to use a credit card to fund the PP transaction. Why won't that work?

The PP was probably from an existing balance or linked bank account. They will also accept an echeck for which they give you 1% discount IIRC. The 1% may only apply to the first $2500 or whatever would go onto a CC. Call it in and put $2500 on CC and the rest by echeck. Works out to a wash.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN... They will also accept an echeck for which they give you 1% discount IIRC. The 1% may only apply to the first $2500 or whatever would go onto a CC. Call it in and put $2500 on CC and the rest by echeck. Works out to a wash.

I think the eCheck discount only shows up after you first select credit card payment. They use the 1% discount to try talk you out of using the credit card. If your invoice is ineligible for credit card payment, the discount might be off the table.

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    i imagine they don't want to spend the resources to chase after fraudulent chargebacks ...
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will let you pay if you are willing to pay an extra 3%. They let me do that one time a couple years ago. That does defeat the reason you want to use your credit card though. Not sure if they will still do that though.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I wanted something that cost an anticipated five figures through Heritage (or anyone), I would make a call to arrange payments over time as soon as possible.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Yes, you can do a split tender. I don't think you can use multiple credit cards at $2500 each. I never got that far with my invoice. The whole debacle has more to do with the chargebacks and to a degree the credit card companies. Remember the U.S. Mint sales of presidential dollar bags for face and free shipping a few years ago? People were racking up points on their cc's and returning these bags to the bank. It took a little while to catch on and a lot of people cashed in on the points. But that was one such example where the credit card companies put their foot down for such activity. And perhaps put more pressure on merchants.
  • Options
    They do have their own 4 month payment plan.
    Interest is 1% per month with a 3% set-up fee (which can be waived)

But you can't pay with a CC with that either.

It looks like you have to be a cash player to buy @ HA image

@ 17.5% BP? Really? image
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Heritage firm on $2,500 CC Limit /.. won't do 2 invoices ... no nothing... don't pay amount above limit with cash.... Heritage will suspend your account
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Limit used to be 10K - easy way to wrack up miles in a hurry, but no more.....
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Write a visa check
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pennyannie
    Write a visa check

That's even worse.
    I'm not sure if I get rewards points for a check or not (which is what I want), but I know they treat it as a cash advance.

That means there is a transfer fee (about 4%), a higher interest rate and the interest starts accruing as soon as the check hits the bank.

• Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    Proll'y not. I just bought a new car and they only let me put $5000 of it on a credit card.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bob1951

Proll'y not. I just bought a new car and they only let me put $5000 of it on a credit card.

They only let me put $500 on card on my last purchase.

Heritage has limited use of credit card for some time. Years ago, they offered you a 1% discount or free shipping at checkout if you paid by ACH transfer from your bank account.
  • Options
    Never made sense to me. One person can't put $10K on a CC but four people can put $2,500 each on a CC. Just a way for them to gouge buyers, 17.5% just isn't enough.
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't even see a credit card option recently. They must have it well hidden to further prevent its use.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't purchased from Heritage in a long time.

The last that I knew of, there was a $2500 limit. Anything beyond that had to be paid with cash/echeck.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: IwasAgentjim007
    Never made sense to me. One person can't put $10K on a CC but four people can put $2,500 each on a CC. Just a way for them to gouge buyers, 17.5% just isn't enough.

Just as Heritage reduced the CC amount 4 years ago to $2,500 . coin member wanted to pay for a $9,000 win by CC .. Heritage told him no.... Supervisor told him no.. This.. to a person who bought excess $100,000 coin purchases each year

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

Do you have to call in order to pay by credit card? I do not see it as a checkout option.

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Yes when the limit used to be 10,000 my card at the time gave me 1 1/2% and card only gave the 1 1/2% to a maximum use of $100,000 year.

• Options

You can now continue using your credit card to pay for purchases made on Heritage Auctions! The company I work for, Plastiq, allows you to pay pretty much any bill or expense with your credit card. The max of $2,500 does not apply since HA will still be receiving a check (on your behalf) through our partnering bank.

There is a 2.5% for each transaction to use our services - which I know negates some of the cash back rewards a lot of you seem to take advantage of - but being able to use your credit card makes it so that you can always purchase items that will sell quickly or that cost more than what you currently have in your bank account.

Happy to talk further, just send me a DM!

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait for it...

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2

They forgot to begin with

Bump

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's how to do that.

Go to their office in Dallas. Take out your credit card and give it to the lady at the main desk (behind the bullet proof glass) along with your invoice. She will leave, then soon return with your credit card as ask for a check or bank draft.

That's all there is to it! ;)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kirill_plastiq said:
    You can now continue using your credit card to pay for purchases made on Heritage Auctions! The company I work for, Plastiq, allows you to pay pretty much any bill or expense with your credit card. The max of $2,500 does not apply since HA will still be receiving a check (on your behalf) through our partnering bank.

There is a 2.5% for each transaction to use our services - which I know negates some of the cash back rewards a lot of you seem to take advantage of - but being able to use your credit card makes it so that you can always purchase items that will sell quickly or that cost more than what you currently have in your bank account.

Happy to talk further, just send me a DM!

Reported as spam

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was relatively quick BAM. :p

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2019 9:38PM

Ignore. I just realized I was commenting on a comment from above that was two years old.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    That was relatively quick BAM. :p

Yeah, one and DONE.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW I use Heritage for reference only. I 'spit the bit' as a buyer when they jacked their fees.

• Options

@mapleman said:
    FWIW I use Heritage for reference only. I 'spit the bit' as a buyer when they jacked their fees.

Worth nothing, but thanks for staying out of my way. Lol

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@mapleman said:

You're welcome of course but worth quite a bit in saved fees to me :)

• Options

@mapleman said:

Why do you suppose buyers are paying more? It’s the sellers who are receiving less.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options

@mapleman said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@mapleman said:

Their raised fees have never cost me a single cent. If I want to pay $200 TOTAL, I pay $200 total. I don't care how they split it up.

What is the difference to you if it is a 20% premium auction that costs $200 or a 10% premium that costs $200 or a 0% direct purchase that costs $200?

GC is at 10% but some material has ridiculous reserves.

• Options

GC is actually at 12.5%

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options

@Aotearoa said:
    GC is actually at 12.5%

10% on wire transfer payments

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

That way, you can buy it when the winning bidder puts it on FleaBag at three times the price! What a deal!

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Aotearoa said:
    GC is actually at 12.5%

Wire transfers aren't cheap either. You probably were referring to GC withdrawing money from your bank account instead. You always have the option of mailing a check.

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Aotearoa said:
    GC is actually at 12.5%

Wire transfers aren't cheap either. You probably were referring to GC withdrawing money from your bank account instead. You always have the option of mailing a check.

Yes, technically it's an electronic check

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

HA, have not used them in years. I asked them several times to stop sending me all their promotions by mail. To no avail.... So now I send it all back.
    so, you guys think a 17.5% Juice fee is too high??
    obviously most of you have not taken part in British and other European auctions lately???
    28% and and some are over 30% is now very common..
    AND CC fees are 3-4 % in addition. AND... I am a regular client their for years. admitted, I normally pay from a European Bank account via direct deposit.
    Just very recently i wanted to pay using my (more than enough) Paypal Euro balance. They advertise accepting PP.
    they wanted 4% PLUS a Euro 35 Bank fee. Explanation was that they have to pay for receiving the Euros into their bank from PP.
    BS i called it. after a couple of phone calls they came to their senses and waived the Fee and the bank fee, blaming
    " this is all new to us", we are very familiar with bank transfers.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    HA, have not used them in years. I asked them several times to stop sending me all their promotions by mail. To no avail.... So now I send it all back.
    so, you guys think a 17.5% Juice fee is too high??
    obviously most of you have not taken part in British and other European auctions lately???
    28% and and some are over 30% is now very common..
    AND CC fees are 3-4 % in addition. AND... I am a regular client their for years. admitted, I normally pay from a European Bank account via direct deposit.
    Just very recently i wanted to pay using my (more than enough) Paypal Euro balance. They advertise accepting PP.
    they wanted 4% PLUS a Euro 35 Bank fee. Explanation was that they have to pay for receiving the Euros into their bank from PP.
    BS i called it. after a couple of phone calls they came to their senses and waived the Fee and the bank fee, blaming
    " this is all new to us", we are very familiar with bank transfers.

And if delivered in the EU, you get to pay 17.5 to 25% VAT on top of all the above.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@mapleman said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@mapleman said:

Their raised fees have never cost me a single cent. If I want to pay $200 TOTAL, I pay $200 total. I don't care how they split it up.

What is the difference to you if it is a 20% premium auction that costs $200 or a 10% premium that costs $200 or a 0% direct purchase that costs $200?

What's your win percentage using that approach?

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Elmhurst, you are so right.
    I did not mention the new shipping charges....Up it went in January and new shipping conditions
    paid Euro 42 recently for 3 silver coins and they were over 3 weeks "on the road". Lucky, the coins were well worth is.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@mapleman said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@mapleman said:

What's your win percentage using that approach?

About the same as always. Maybe a little lower. I do note some people seem to be too ignorant to do the math. But if someone wants to overspend by 20% for a, i'm not going to fight them. If the buyer fee end up being a tax on people who can't do math, then so be it

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see what is the big deal. You bid on a coin. If someone else wants to pay more the coin, it's his / her coin. I don't worry about it.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file