Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Packing up my collectibles.

My house is currently at a high risk of being taken over by the Shenandoah wild fire. Just attended a meeting down the street put together by local authorities to brief us on the progress of this.

The fire is about 1/2 mile from our house and moving 100 feet an hour in our direction.

They said the only way the fire can be put out is by rain. We're expecting rain on Friday, but they said it will not be enough to even put a dent in it. Will not get the amount of needed rain for another 7-10 days.

They bulldozed the perimeter to help contain the fire in the park, but are not confident that it will work and will be patrolling the area 24/7 and will start evacuations if/when they feel it is necessary.

I've been packing most of my high-end collectibles just in case. The '89 Topps may go up in flames :/

This kind of thing really makes me re-think purchasing insurance.

Local agencies seem to have things under control (just not the fire) so I'm confident that our family will remain safe throughout this.

Comments

• Options
    Holy crap. I hope it turns out all right for you, your family, and those 1989 Topps Hockey boxes.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best wishes, Patrick. Stay safe.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Hopes you and family stay safe.

The collectibles as well.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Really puts things in perspective. Hope you guys stay safe.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Patrick ... prayers that your family, your neighbors and you stay safe and that the fires get under control soon.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    so sorry to hear. Hope you and the family are safe.

As for the collection--not sure what you have or collect. But if you do not have the space to take hi end cards etc--you can always mail them to someone you trust. Insured. (hope the PO is open). That way they are out of harms way and you do not have to worry about taking them along. My best and prayers
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Patrick sorry to hear this, too. I hope you and your family keep safe during this difficult time.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    Patrick
    god speed hope it all works out for you
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mullins- Any update? Hoping your house is safe, but especially that you and your family and neighbors are all safe.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I am not sure your location, if it's in VA near the Shenandoah I can assist if you need to store anything. I live in the Warrenton VA area and I have a safe, secure room for collectibles.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words and offers everyone. I have my collectibles and other expensive equipment (like a $4,000 printer I bought last month) outta here and in a safe place.

As of right now the fire has reportedly spread from 3,000 acres to 7,900 acres since yesterday. My house is surrounded by smoke, but one minute down the street I live on this is taking place:

Some neighbors have already packed-up and left. My fiance may take our son and dogs and stay at her parents. The only warnings thus far from local authorities is to be cautious of thick smoke. Lots of firetrucks passing by our house throughout the day. Right now it's just a waiting game. Heaven forbid something catastrophic happens, like the house going up in flames, we have insurance and family to help out.

Just never thought I'd be in a situation like this. I think looking forward I need to insure more of my items and keep some things in a safety security box.
  • Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    Really hope you and your family the best. Most important thing is that you are safe. All that stuff we collect is trivial at a time like this.
  • Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    ^^ I second the comments already made. Please be safe Patrick and praying everything turns out for the best.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Stay safe, Patrick. My thoughts will be with you, your family, and your neighbors.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patrick I am praying and wishing you and your family the best.
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts are with you, your family, neighbors and the firemen braving the wildfires.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wishing you the very best. Thoughts and prayers going out to you, your family and all others affected.
  • Options
    Good luck, hope everything works out for you and your family, and stay safe.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Checking in, how you doing Pat?
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: alifaxwa2

Checking in, how you doing Pat?

Things are good now! The fire is out (saved by a huge rainstorm), but here is a picture of how close it got to us. We live on Mountain Farm Road.

I would have updated earlier but didn't subscribe to the thread (didn't get any updates) and have been super busy with work.

Thank you guys for everything!

• Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Holy crap, that's close. Glad it worked out.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    wow!! Glad you and family are ok
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great to hear you are ok! That was a close call.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure glad to hear Pat!
    Mike
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Patrick ... happy to hear that your family and you are OK.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news!! Thanks for the update.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad things turned out well in the end. Now you can enjoy your '89's a bit more than a few months ago!