Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is it still worth getting rolls (boxes) of half dollars from the bank?

braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
Or, at this point has all the silver been weeded out and nothing left but dirty, grimy clad?

peacockcoins

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really worth it. The last box I bought had 1 40% half in it. Too many searchers , many have perfected the art of unloading each roll checking the coins and putting the rolls back together and putting them back in the box and returning them. It really sucks to get a checked box .

On the other hand I ask every time I go up to a teller and I've gotten much better results from the loose halfs in the teller's tray.

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    It is a matter of luck. I might go through 20 rolls and find nothing and then find 3-4 40% in a roll. Once in a blue moon a 1964 shows up.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't check rolls, but I do have a eight coin-op washers & dryers and I go through the quarters every month or two without fail.

Up until about 4 years ago, it was common for me to find at least one silver quarter out of the 750 +/- I'd get in a month. Some times I'd find two, and often I'd get an interesting foreign piece, too.

But in the last 3 years or so, I've found almost none. And I've added more machines and some of the rates are up, too, so the quantity is definitely greater. I've got 6 or 8 months without finding anything.

Don't know how to account for it. It actually seems like it would be more likely now since prices are down (relative to their 5-year high), and there have been dozens of new quarter varieties in that period of time.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    I have elongated coin machines in a very popular area and go threw close to 1000.00 bucks a week (combined) in quarters during peak season. I haven't found 1 silver quarter in close to 5 plus years! A few Canadian but no silver.....
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the roll searchers in our area that frequent our shop have pretty much given up on Half-Dollars.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, too late to find the silver! I think the tellers, cashier's and people behind counters are too wise now on our most hunted coins? They're scooping in the riches before us. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted though right?image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, it may be a matter of location and luck. If there is another roll searcher in your immediate area, your odds could be divided by 2, 3, 4... I personally have hit silver 4 out of 5 attempts, having never bought more than a $100 tray that was on hand. The best hit yielded 4 68-d 's, one 64-d, and one franklin. The other attempts yielded a couple of 40%ers. My luckiest hit was not silver, but a roll of BU 76-d's.

Is it still worth it? Sure, why not. Always hope for the best, and save any gem for your whitman image
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably better off searching for varieties and buying silver with the proceeds from selling them off?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Better financial return on time spent by flipping burgers at the local drive thru!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • BodinBodin Posts: 994 ✭✭✭
    Not if you live in FadeToBlack's neighborhood. HE'S THE MASTER!

EXAMPLE 1

EXAMPLE 2

EXAMPLE 3
  • rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a few smaller local banks that I deal with for work and I know the managers of each.

I cornered a couple tellers and the bank manager, showed some photos of the new arrivals in the silver bits I've been picking up and ask if they run across any silver OR old coins from time to time.

I put the word out I'll take Anything silver/interesting/OLD they come across.

Fast forward to 6 months later and Two tellers save the silver coins for me as they come thru their windows.

I left each teller a $20 bill and a Starbucks gift card to covering anything that comes in.

IF anything bigger than $40 worth comes in, I said Call ME and I'll be right down.

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keets
    the roll searchers in our area that frequent our shop have pretty much given up on Half-Dollars.

Bring back a lot of purchased coins ..a bank flag for money laundering..... Chase , other banks afraid of the Dodd Frank law of 2010
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: rte592
    We have a few smaller local banks that I deal with for work and I know the managers of each.
    I cornered a couple tellers and the bank manager, showed some photos of the new arrivals in the silver bits I've been picking up and ask if they run across any silver OR old coins from time to time.
    I put the word out I'll take Anything silver/interesting/OLD they come across.

Fast forward to 6 months later and Two tellers save the silver coins for me as they come thru their windows.
    I left each teller a $20 bill and a Starbucks gift card to covering anything that comes in.
    IF anything bigger than $40 worth comes in, I said Call ME and I'll be right down.

Bank tellers have caught on They just laugh when I ask .. My last score at the Bank.. 2009.. 5 - 1934 Blue Seal Silver $5 dollar notes .. AU .. still crisp
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 weeks ago I went to the bank to cash a check (remember those?). Thought I'd pick up some cent rolls. On second thought I figured I'd ask if they had any half dollar rolls. Clerk said they did and would be glad to get rid of them, all $290.00 worth. Most were rolled in their homemade wrappers out of blank deposit receipts. The clerk noted to me they did not have any wrappers at the time. But 6 had old style wrappers. These I was hopeful for. Nothing discovered other than an odd colored 72-d that looked a gold/lemon color, not paint,a BU 94-p, BU 01-d,2 BU 10-d, one with a slight gold hue in angled light, and 3 or 4 smoothed (worn, no reeding) edged specimens ( rolling machine wear?), and one 96-p that may have some form of toning, some slight metalic blue qualities. Will take to the local show for determination. Only good thing about going through halfs is they are easy to handle and easy on the eyes to see for errors due to their size. I've been reintroducing them to the general circulation at stores. One funny experience of note in this vein. Used some at the local McDonalds. The 16/17 yr. old girl clerk said upon receipt of pyt. asked "Are these half dollars?" (Yes.) "Are they worth 50 cents each?" (Yes). Oh well.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not roll searched halves for about two years.... had zero luck for about three years prior to that.... maybe I will try again. Cheers, RickO
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last experience I had with a roll yielded bi-centennial halves. Nowadays they're worth about half a buck. They should make parking meters accept them.
  • BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    few months ago picked up a beautiful toned 71s at my local bank
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say no, but I have found Walkers and Bens, even a proof '62 in just the last few months.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if this is just local luck in rural Iowa but usually when I go to the bank I just ask for a few half dollars when cashing a check and occasionally find some silver. No roll searching and a really small sample size.
  • nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    About 7 years ago I quit buying boxes of half dollars. It got to be a waste of time since
    I never found anything. Ten years ago I did pretty well finding silver. Then it dried up leaving
    me with $1,000 worth of halves to get rid of each month.
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Chase here doesn't even carry half dollars any more, and won't order boxes of them. My local branch would call when the half dollar bag on the coin counter was full, but they got rid of the coin counters also.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I got 5 rolls a couple of years ago - found 1 40% silverimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file