Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Picked up this raw 1869 Rupia Goa...thoughts?

Hi gang, i've been looking for an upgrade to my current 1869 Rupia Goa and have passed on a few slabbed pieces (NGC AU58-MS62) since they were very pricey, and the NGC AU58 examples were really not much better than my current (very dark) PCGS XF40.

Anyhow, I an across this raw piece on eBay with pictures that weren't very good (from a Portuguese seller) but the coin looked real. I took a shot and offered the guy $250 (he was asking north of $500 if I recall) and he accepted. Coin arrived a couple days ago. I just imaged it.

What are your thoughts about the light PVC on the reverse around the R...do I rinse in Acetone before sending to PCGS for grading, or do I leave as is cause the Acetone might remove some of the dirt around the devices of the coin? Will the coin straight grade or is this a problem coin in your opinion?

Anyhow, your thoughts/remarks are appreciated...

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you need to remove the PVC as if it is not BB by PCGS it will just create more problems for you in the future. You might try taking a Q-Tip and wet it with acetone and roll it along the PVC. I don't know the issue to comment on its quality or if it is gradeable.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I would definatly try an acetone soak first.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm naive on these - is the flan clipped at all?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO acetone pretty much just takes off the stuff that shouldn't be there. Would it be worth it to try the conservation service? I've never tried the PCGS service, but maybe others could recommend or let you know how they do things. PVC is evil and needs to be removed.

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Did a quick acetone rinse. Sent coin in. Grade just posted. AU55. Very happy with results. This is a tough coin to find original and well struck without breaking the bank. I have $320 into the coin including grading fees. Not bad.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the successful conservation.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.