Home Metal Detecting
Options

1858 Flying Eagle Cent yesterday!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Got out to a park area I've hit for several years now. Not many targets now compared to 2012, but it usually gives a few keepers. There is so much iron at this place too, which adds to the difficulty. I'm debating on getting a small coil to help at this place. Does anyone have any recommendations?

As expected, things started out pretty slow and found a few keepers. One thing is a small "badge" that has "POLICE" on it. I'm assuming it's some kind of toy, but can anyone put an age to it? On the back is a small post, so maybe it went into a hat?

About halfway in the hunt, ended up getting an 1858 Flying Eagle cent! A few things were surprising about it: 1) it was only about 2.5 to 3 inches deep, 2) I had missed it before (but I believe this is due to the iron in the area) and 3) it's not a toasted piece of junk.

Also got an 1888 IHC. Got a bit of a cent type set overall. FE cent, IHC, wheat cent, copper memorial, zincoln, and shield cent.

Ended with 4 wheat cents. Although no silver came out, it was still a nice hunt and getting a decent FE cent was well worth it.

Got some kind of button (it's between the Police thing and the flag pin). Not sure how old it can be, but I don't think it's old - some time in the 1900s.

HH all!

Also got another flag!

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of small coils for hunting in junky sites. I often use a 6" coil on my Etrac. I think you only have one option for a small coil on the CTX, and it isn't cheap. I've found quite a few old coins with my small coil in areas I previously worked with my stock coil.

I was in my favorite hunted out park yesterday and had several instances of iron masking while using my stock coil. I got a strong one way signal and decided to dig it. At six inches deep, I found a fairly large carriage bolt. There was also a copper cent about two inches above the bolt. Later I removed a rusty nut and inch long segment of bolt from the surface and immediately unmasked three nearby coins.

I recently purchased a 1970s vintage machine that operates at 100 kHZ. Nails are invisible at this frequency apparently. I intend to try out this dinosaur in the near future.

That's an old looking bullet, looks black powder era to me. I expect it's from a single shot or lever action rifle.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Great find, congrats!

Good thing the upper loop of the last 8 in the date wasn't more worn - you might have dropped dead on the spot! image

Re. the police star: here's an ebay auction that looks like it might be the same thing

link

If it is, it looks like it might go into a buttonhole rather than a hat?
    (see the pics that show it from side and back)
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats an awesome dig, congrats.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zot

Great find, congrats!

Good thing the upper loop of the last 8 in the date wasn't more worn - you might have dropped dead on the spot! image

Re. the police star: here's an ebay auction that looks like it might be the same thing

link

If it is, it looks like it might go into a buttonhole rather than a hat?

(see the pics that show it from side and back)

I tell ya, your heart starts beating when you realize it could be either an 8 or a 6. Of course odd were it's an 8, but hope is what keeps us going.

It's hard to tell on the Police badge because I think whatever was there originally on the back has broken off. The post on mine looks a little smaller than the ebay one, but it may have had a similar ending. Here's a pic of the back:

And Zot, I got out with the PI machine on a local beach, and you'll appreciate the number of bobby pins. Will post later tonight.

Bayard, I think I'll check into a smaller coil. There are some super irony areas here that I think would benefit.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find on the Flying Eagle. I've always liked this coin. You're probably glad you found it on this site instead of the beach where it may not have been in such a nice condition
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice... a cent series and the major find - a Flying Eagle Cent.... I have never found

one of them.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    FE Cent, dang, now that is a good find! I think the toy police badge from Zot's auction link is same kind as yours, except on yours the buttonhole thingy broke off.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Yeah !! Now your'e talking. Great dig !!