Home Precious Metals
Options

Mercury Dime 2016 Centennial Gold Coin

BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
No discussion about these? Are they gonna be hotter than a snake's arse in a wagon rut?

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The walker is the one for me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: renman95

https://forums.collectors.com/...1702&enterthread=y">Here's one thread over at the USCF.

rinky need worky
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    I'm just hidin' in the bushes waiting for them to appear...will be on this series like a rash.
  • Options
    Haven't seen any of the usual folks with their buyem up offers. Too early maybe?
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    12,500 unique users can buy the max and this party is over...
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 125,000 mintage limit should discourage flippers but who knows. The 1/4oz Standing Quarter looks best to my eyes.

Edit: Just noticed this is on a 16.5mm planchet. I think I'll be waiting for the 22mm "quarters".
  • Options
    reddwingreddwing Posts: 137 ✭✭
    Anybody have an idea as to what the price will be for these?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if the mint will be offering this 2016 gold dime, quarter, and half as a three coin set or will I have to buy each coin piecemeal and pay for shipping three times?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

Does anyone know if the mint will be offering this 2016 gold dime, quarter, and half as a three coin set or will I have to buy each coin piecemeal and pay for shipping three times?

Piecemeal for now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: reddwing

Spot + 40 or 50% as a SWAG.
  • Options
    Anyone know if they'll be a mintage limit or will they strike them to demand? These may or may not be good for flipping depending on such details.

Just checked the mint's web site. Mintage limit is 125,000 and the household limit is 10. Of course this is all subject to change. I doubt there'll be a sell out with this many being made.

• Options
    The announced mintage for the 2016-W Mercury dime is 125,000 coins with a household limit of 10.
  • Options
    Anyone know if they'll be a mintage limit or will they strike them to demand? These may or may not be good for flipping depending on such details.

Just checked the mint's web site. Mintage limit is 125,000 and the household limit is 10. Of course this is all subject to change. I doubt there'll be a sell out with this many being made.

Step away from the hoopola for a week or so, or less, revisit this thread and balance the outcome with the wait.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it looks really cool. I might just have to buy one.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Special labels will empower some (that can go and get them) and will screw others (that don't have the coins in time and/or can't make the show to get the special labels)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    It will be interesting to see the dealer offers that will soon be surfacing.

Historically, as we all know, they tend to be at the very low end. Yet, the shallow end of the pool for risk.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick fizzle.

something over the price of the $5 gold eagle proof. I'd say add another 20%.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the price is less than $200 I think a sellout is likely.

Also, this is the new key with half the mintage of the 1916-D. This means that it should be worth twice as much, right? image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Originally posted by: Overdate

[If the price is less than $200 I think a sellout is likely.

Also, this is the new key with half the mintage of the 1916-D. This means that it should be worth twice as much, right? image

I know you're kidding but I can't imagine someone who collects Mercury dimes not buying at least one of these coins.image

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pre-sales on eBay are fetching $300 and the Mint hasn't even set a price for the coin yet! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Overdate
    Pre-sales on eBay are fetching $300 and the Mint hasn't even set a price for the coin yet! image

The mint should price them at $400 then just to bury all the pre-sellers image
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    This 125K release? Gonna go Numaler, MHO.
  • Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1
    This 125K release? Gonna go Numaler, MHO.

I got "verb-ed"!!! ( i think )
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb
    Quick fizzle.

Prices just announced. Looks like I was pretty close.
    2016 Centennial GoldWalking LibertyStanding LibertyMercury Dime
    Average gold spot1/2 oz1/4 oz1/10 oz
    $1,150.00 to $1,199.99$840.00 $447.50 $200.00
    $1,200.00 to $1,249.99$865.00 $460.00 $205.00
    $1,250.00 to $1,299.99$890.00 $472.50 $210.00
    $1,300.00 to $1,349.99$915.00 $485.00 $215.00

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    Almost double spot. Point,click and flip.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: carew4me

Almost double spot. Point,click and pass.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let there be bagholders.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN

Originally posted by: carew4me

Almost double spot. Point,click and pass.

Not quite that expensive but it is certainly overpriced for a business strike coin. It wouldn't surprise me if they are cheaper in the secondary market after the novelty wears off.

• Options
    I'm figuring that the higher price might drive off a few would-be purchasers, but it won't stop the flippers. That being the case, if it doesn't sell out in a few days or a week the fast money will already be looking ahead to the quarter and half.

If that's the case, it could drag on through October and sell out late in the year like the 2009 UHR. I do think that a mintage of 125,000 1/10th oz coins of this design will eventually find a premium over the initial selling price, but maybe not right away.

There might be some drag on this coin if the Mint decides to issue fewer than 125,000 quarters and halves. I would think that most collectors would opt for a set, and if only 62,500 sets are possible, the dime might languish.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mhammerman

Mint Announcement for dime

I don't understand the mint's description:

Mintage limit: 125,000

Product Limit: None

Household Order Limit: 10

What does "Product Limit" mean and how is that different than "Mintage Limit"?

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin could be paired with another offering, ergo product limit.

I believe that is the story. image

• Options
    Originally posted by: Goldbully

The coin could be paired with another offering, ergo product limit.

I believe that is the story. image

I believe you are correct. 125k is the limit.

• Options
    After the gold quarter and gold half dollar comes out it would be nice if the mint would offer an optional three coin set with all three coins in a single box or holder. I'd rather have a single larger box than three smaller boxes. Many collectors will buy all three coins to have a complete set and it would be nice if the entire set could all be housed together in the same box.

• Options
    After the gold quarter and gold half dollar comes out it would be nice if the mint would offer an optional three coin set with all three coins in a single box or holder. I'd rather have a single larger box than three smaller boxes. Many collectors will buy all three coins to have a complete set and it would be nice if the entire set could all be housed together in the same box.

Yeah, PH - it would be nice if the Mint would just bother to tell it's customers what it plans to do. It's almost as if they've never marketed a product in their lives.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jmski52
    I'm figuring that the higher price might drive off a few would-be purchasers, but it won't stop the flippers. That being the case, if it doesn't sell out in a few days or a week the fast money will already be looking ahead to the quarter and half.

If that's the case, it could drag on through October and sell out late in the year like the 2009 UHR. I do think that a mintage of 125,000 1/10th oz coins of this design will eventually find a premium over the initial selling price, but maybe not right away.

There might be some drag on this coin if the Mint decides to issue fewer than 125,000 quarters and halves. I would think that most collectors would opt for a set, and if only 62,500 sets are possible, the dime might languish.

If the Mint makes a gold version of the Peace in 2021, that should make for a nice 5-coin set (including the UHR.)

Did I miss smoething, only 62,500 sets possible, are the quarter and half limited to that?
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick fizzle.

Prices just announced. Looks like I was pretty close.
    2016 Centennial GoldWalking LibertyStanding LibertyMercury Dime
    Average gold spot1/2 oz1/4 oz1/10 oz
    $1,150.00 to $1,199.99$840.00 $447.50 $200.00
    $1,200.00 to $1,249.99$865.00 $460.00 $205.00
    $1,250.00 to $1,299.99$890.00 $472.50 $210.00
    $1,300.00 to $1,349.99$915.00 $485.00 $215.00

These prices are ridiculous , it looks like they tried to build in the "camelot" premium from the 3/4 ounce kennedy gold fiasco.

It's much easier to work for a living than try to flip these turkeys will be less risky too.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'll wait and purchase a nice MS69 for melt+ after the initial frenzy has passed. The premium to melt is too great for me to stomach. The quarter and half will be a different story, though, with lower mintages...
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mbogoman

I think I'll wait and purchase a nice MS69 for melt+ after the initial frenzy has passed. The premium to melt is too great for me to stomach. The quarter and half will be a different story, though, with lower mintages...

Has the mint published the mintage limit for the gold quarters and gold half dollars?

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    "It's much easier to work for a living than try to flip these turkeys will be less risky too."

Words of wisdom Broncho!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict they'll take 744 years to get any patina on them, unless they're in a Taco Bell napkin.
  • Options
    Did I miss smoething, only 62,500 sets possible, are the quarter and half limited to that?

No, you didn't miss anything. That was just me, hypothesizing. The Mint is capable of all sorts of irrational decisions.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    reddwingreddwing Posts: 137 ✭✭
    So, did the gold mercury dime actually sell out? I have not seen any sales figures. I called the mint and they said no and that that they ran out of inventory suggesting more inventory will be available.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    I went to the usm site about 3:00 last thursday to load up the wagon with these cute little mercs but they were no longer available so I guess I got shut out. Ill catch the three coin commemorative set when they become available or maybe they will make a little more inventory and "notify" me when there might be some.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I went to the usm site about 3:00 last thursday to load up the wagon with these cute little mercs but they were no longer available so I guess I got shut out. Ill catch the three coin commemorative set when they become available or maybe they will make a little more inventory and "notify" me when there might be some.

Reportedly there will be no 3 coin sets.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more