Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What is your favorite loupe/glass/magnification device?

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
My sad little pocket magnifier has broken apart and I wouldn't mind investing in a bit nicer loupe. I'd love to hear opinions or recommendations.

Cathy

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acromat 3x6x9
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I bought this Eschenbach a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it, they come in 3x - 10 x magnifications.

http://www.eschenbach.com/2ac0...illuminated-detail.htm
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    I like Bausch & Lomb. No more than 5X for grading coins and a 15-20 if you are into varieties or errors. If you go to coin shows with poor lighting, I usually carry a cheap loupe with a light on it to eliminate the "might-bes".

http://www.brooklyngallery.com...rt=0&category=0203

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    H.E Harris 16x loupe is what I use

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use an H.E. Harris 10x loupe, and am very happy with it.

Steve
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SDSportsFan
    I use an H.E. Harris 10x loupe, and am very happy with it.

Steve

This.

I also picked up an inexpensive 30x and 60x lighted pocket magnifier on eBay recently. I use it rarely but it is nice to have.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Well, this gives me a good group to look into, thank you all for the input image

• Options
    Search the bay for 'mini microscope', are good for seeing fine details such as mint marks, only a few dollars.
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bausch & Lomb make a good one, so does Eschenbach.
    But my favourite is Zeiss.
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    I like the BelOMO 10x triplet loupe for its larger viewing area than many other triplet loupes.
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

For searching thru boxes at shows I use a Bausch and Lomb 3x 4X 7x combo double lens.
    lens are large 36MM with 4X you can see a whole Morgan dollar. 7X combined if you need to see deeper. The 3X can look at one side of a coin thru the cases at a show if the dealer is not at his table. the 4X is very clear and flat and better for viewing then the B&L 5X Black slide many people use. Hard to find online as it is no longer made, but still can be found in some B&M coin shops. Recommended to me by by Skip Fazzari at ICG. He also writes articles on authentication and grading for Numismatic News.

To me though the best lens is the one the NGC graders use the Zeiss 3x 6x 9X combo. A bit Expensive but flat field , clear, bright , good depth of field /focus range, acromatic, aplanatic,
    coated for reflections. Even the 9X combo lens is superior. The only one to compare is the older east German Zeiss JENA no longer made, black body 3x, 6x 9X. Sometimes I think its even better and I gravitate to it . Both Can be found on Ebay.

If you prefer the Eschenbach 5X 30mm lens is a very good one. It is/ was used by many PCGS graders. Add a B&L 7X Hastings triplet and you will have a very good rig.

I collect Loupes along with coins. hope this helps

Krueger
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PatAR

I like the BelOMO 10x triplet loupe for its larger viewing area than many other triplet loupes.

I'll have to check that one out. I've stayed away from triplets for that reason. Just hate the small viewing diameter.
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a 6x Eschenbach. Nice loupe for grading coins.
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input! I'm definitely after a loupe appropriate to carry around to shows/shops. However, the idea of a clip on for my eyeglasses is hysterical just thinking about what the crusty dudes in the two local shops would say if they saw that...

In my mind have narrowed it down to the Zeiss or the Eschenbach 3-6-9s, I do like flipping between magnifications sometimes. Something illuminated is also tempting though. Both are pricey so I wouldn't want to lose it, which means if I am trying to decide between the Eschenbach that looks like it has a place one can attach a lanyard (or something) to it, and the Zeiss is thoughtfully not all black or dark grey (thus hiding in the nooks and crannies of drawers, purses etc). Using what the graders at either big TPG utilize is extremely tempting and overall including price the Zeiss does seem like a good choice. However, I can't underestimate my ability to misplace small objects and the idea of tying a lanyard or some other loop to my loupe to make it easier to find is extremely tempting (I have a large orange elephant on my keyring for example).

It's good to hear all the opinions.