Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Roman Constantius ??

2»

Comments

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I'm glad you see that, too.
    Nice correction on the reverse legend, too.
    It looks like this entry on the wildwinds page (note the much narrower date range):
    Siscia
    RIC VII 237,D Constantius II AE3,. 334-335 AD. FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C, laureate, cuirassed bust right / GLORIA EXERCITVS, two soldiers standing, each holding spear and shield, two standards between them. Mintmark dot ?SIS dot.

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins.../constantius_II/i.html
    Siscia mint, the key letters are SIS, and the ones around them are the officina/workshop, with the dots being large enough to be significant.
  • AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    great info yos, thanks.
    Next one is a Constantine the Great, mint is a mystery to me image

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
    Good work.
    For the mint mark, it looks like RPP, but that's not listed on wildwinds.
    The best match I found is:
    Trier
    RIC VII 518 Constantine, Trier, AE follis, AD 330-335. DN CONSTANTI-NVS MAX AVG, rosette-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right. GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS, two soldiers with spears and shields; two standards between them, with o on banners. Mintmark TRP. RIC VII Trier 518.

So maybe it's TRPP and that variation is not listed in wildwinds?
    Hi yos, I tried every combination with 3 letters , nothing made sense, except Trier , I dont think there is an extra 4th letter, so I settle for TRP.
    thanks for your input.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
    Constantine I the great as Caesar (306-308 AD)
    mint is a riddle for me.

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭
    Constantine II as Caesar (not Constantine the Great). The IVN in the obverse title lets you know it's II and not I. Nicomedia mint, 2nd (B) workshop - SMNB. Glory of the Army type, one standard between the soldiers.

BTW, this type was struck in the late 320s - early 330s (or thereabouts, again away from my library so just a rough time estimate). Along with titles including elements such as the IVN, the reverses, especially on 4th century AE often give a hint to when an issue was minted - even an older Sear catalog or something similar would be a big help in narrowing down your options and might give you a better sense of when different forms of the mint signature were used. IMHO.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
    Thanks STLNATS , I think in a earlier life , you worked in one of those roman mints.
    The apparent match on the wildwinds page is:
    Nicomedia
    RIC VII 200, B Constantine II, AE follis, Nicomedia. CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, laureate, cuirassed bust right / GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS, two soldiers holding spear and shields, with one standard between them. Mintmark SMNB. RIC VII Nicomedia 200.
    Thanks for all your help, yos & STLNATS , I have 2 more , but these are in such bad shape , that I gave up on them.
    Thanks for sharing - this was fun.
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: yosclimber

Thanks for sharing - this was fun.

+1. You really got a bargain for an interesting group of coins. Congrats.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!