Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Australian Brick and Mortar experience and the TRS!

TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭
edited May 2, 2017 5:52PM in U.S. Coin Forum
Just posted the results of the 1912-S MS62BN and the 1881-S MS65 coins, purchased from the Melbourne portion of this trip.

Just dropped by Universal Coin and I S Wright in Melbourne AU. Kevin and Charlie at Universal were great. Excellent to talk to and even took me over to I S Wright a couple blocks down across town. They also gave me a list of dealers they recommended in Sydney.

We discussed the local market as well as the US market. I brought several different PCGS holders from the first gen rattler through the current holder. The old green holders were great topics of conversation. PCGS is surprisingly large out here (In Australia) and very well respected. Each dealer had a few "Darkside" coins from the US. I S Wright had enough US coins to fill a type set album. In addition, they had a solid collection of Morgan Dollars and Commemoratives. Universal had a few US coins, many antique toys and great conversation.

I brought a few 1943 pennies in MS66 along with some other PCGS items to trade. Ended up trading a couple of the PCGS 43's for an uncirculated 1881-S Morgan along with a 12-S and 24-S Lincoln.

Could not have asked for a better experience and hope the trading as well as the conversation in Sydney AU is just as interesting!

For those who think these threads are useless without pictures...here is a bad cell phone picture of the coins that are coming back to the US.

All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown

Comments

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've bought coins from IS Wrght's auction "Status International" and also from Downies in Melbourne. Good experiences with both. Right now the USD to AUD is quite favorable. Never been to Australia.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread.... interesting coin shopping in other countries... I have done several (not Australia) since I lived and worked in other countries. Also traveled to several more on business or pleasure. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice pick up! Great report. :)

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to Oz three times on business during the '90s - I enjoyed the country and the people, but especially liked the beer (VB was my favorite). Mostly Melbourne but also Sydney.

Never shopped for coins but did shop for black opals - the TRS was a big bonus in addition to the favorable exchange rate.

If I ever to back (man, those flights are lllooonnnnggg) I will have to check the local shops out.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only place in the world I really want to go, but I have major back issues, and don't want to pay the 1st class ticket.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

My logo is a joey .... No spam intended.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file