Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Advice on 1941 DDO FS-101 Mercury Dime

I'm fairly new to Merc varieties and recently I found this 1941 DDO FS-101 and was wondering whether anyone thought it would be worthwhile submitting it to PCGS for attribution or to just try selling it raw. One of the reason I'm inquiring is because there's not a great deal of information on this variety and am hoping others here can advise me.
IMO the dime is a boarderline UNC, maybe 62 on a good day, maybe 58 on a bad one. But the reason I think it might grade MS is due to a good deal of original luster but there is a lot of clutter in the high points, so I'll conservatively call it a boarderline UNC.

Anyway, any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks - Dave

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a PCGS-graded 62 for this variety is worth about $60, right? Doesn't sound worth it.

Lance.
  • Options
    TequilaDaveTequilaDave Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    So far PCGS has graded 5 AU's and 1 MS65 (which sold for $1900 in 2014) and NGC has only an AU example. There is currently an ANAC AU58 on ebay for $1500 (crazy) but currently there is only 1 MS example known.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winter FUN 2014 - I cherrypicked the 1st known Mint State example in a 2x2.

I had to pay up for the coin! $45 because of the toning. image

I had been looking for 4 years! I had it graded at PCGS and sold it via Great Collections.

Link to Sale at Great Collections

This variety is the toughest in the series and demand is there, especially if Mint State as this

would only be the second Mint State Example.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    If yours is in the Mint State realm, I would put the value close to $1K at auction, assuming a

couple of bidders show up. The PCGS Price Guide is wayyyy off for most of the varieties.

Please pay ZERO attention to that.

I am supposed to be the Mercury Dime Series Expert for the next Cherrypickers' Guide so

I know a little about the series.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    I have some clear photos I could post but I can't seem to figure it out to do it. I did the URL thing in the beginning of the post but they didn't show up. Any advice?
  • Options
    There you go. If you quote my post to grab the code, copy it and past it in your original post so the images are there...I can delete my post with them. image
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks Keyman!! So what do you think? Low MS or high AU? There is a lot of chatter on the obverse but what is hard to image is the luster, which seems to be more than you would expect for an AU.
  • Options
    Big Congratulations! Yes, your coin is worth slabbing and getting attributed! If your only interest is to sell it,

I would recommend just sending the coin raw to Great Collections and they will take care of it all for you.

They can get it slabbed and attributed cheaper than you can. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TequilaDave

Awesome, thanks Keyman!! So what do you think? Low MS or high AU? There is a lot of chatter on the obverse but what is hard to image is the luster, which seems to be more than you would expect for an AU.

Hard to know for sure from pics but you are correct, it could be AU58 to MS62.

Either way, it will be a good coin to get slabbed!
  • Options
    Big thanks Keyman for the image help! I updated my original post. I'll look into Great Collections. I had no idea they offered this service. I suppose that would be a better path than just selling it raw?
  • Options

Big thanks Keyman for the image help! I updated my original post. I'll look into Great Collections. I had no idea the offer this service. I suppose that would be a better path than just selling it raw?

Absolutely. Do not sell it raw. Have it sent to PCGS.

Ian (President of Great Collections) will take good care of you.

Just fill out the raw coin submission form, insure the package and mail it off.

LINK to Great Collections forms.

When I sold mine, I started the auction at $1. image
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. The coin has some chatter but looks to be UNC to me.

Congrats.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it goes MS anything.....I would be interested. I currently have a AU58 that I thought would 61 or 62!
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DollarAfterDollar

I agree. The coin has some chatter but looks to be UNC to me.

Congrats.

Unless the graders view those darker spots as rub.

A shame that the reverse is so much better than the money side.

Still a nice coin and cool find!

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    Quick follow-up. James Wiles took a look at the photos of this coin and believes it to be an MDS. Not sure if that's good, bad or indifferent but I thought I'd add it to the thread.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quick follow-up. James Wiles took a look at the photos of this coin and believes it to be an MDS. Not sure if that's good, bad or indifferent but I thought I'd add it to the thread.

Interesting.

If the run went into MDS there must be a few out there to be found.

Time for us to all look through those 41 slabs.

Congrats on the find.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Originally posted by: JRocco

Interesting.

Congrats on the find.

I have looked through thousands, raw and slabbed. DIMEMAN has done the same.

fcloud has done the same. We have been looking for over 5 years easily. Others

have been looking as well. This would be the 11th known example to go to PCGS.

It is also one of the nicer examples located which is a good bonus.

I, along with several others, continue to search at every show we attend. I hope

more can be found and I wish you, and everyone else that wishes to search, the best

of luck! Welcome to the hunt! image
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keyman64

Originally posted by: JRocco

Interesting.

Congrats on the find.

I have looked through thousands, raw and slabbed. DIMEMAN has done the same.

fcloud has done the same. We have been looking for over 5 years easily. Others

have been looking as well. This would be the 11th known example to go to PCGS.

It is also one of the nicer examples located which is a good bonus.

I, along with several others, continue to search at every show we attend. I hope

more can be found and I wish you, and everyone else that wishes to search, the best

of luck! Welcome to the hunt! image

Totally agree. It is all about the hunt.

I too am a variety weenie. My area of search has not included the Merc dime series.

But as a variety hunter, when I hear or see a nice variety reaching MDS or LDS I know there should be a fair amount of examples out there to be found. Will that be easy...heck no. Just look at that 1919.

Again the enjoyment is in the search.

Just to give an example. I have a decent little hoard of wheat back cents that I have collected through the years. Just searching MY Lincoln's I have found well over 2,000 Lincoln RPM's. I have every one of them and have not searched through all my coins as of this time.

Varieties are out there, unknown and unfound.

My point is that we need to keep looking.

If it were easy it wouldn't be fun.

Now you and DIMEMAN keep looking for those EDS examples that were minted before the working dies reached MDS.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great advice from keyman64

Congrats!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    dunerlawdunerlaw Posts: 387 ✭✭
    I'm looking for that coin too, can't wait to see it at great auctions.
  • Options
    I have a real nice AU58, but still look at every 1941-P I see. I have looked at literally thousands of them!

Have also looked at a bunch of 1919-P's too!
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    The total pop is 10 coins in PCGS holders. This is a very tough coin. Anyone who would like to sell me a coin like the original poster has for $60 please PM me (Keyman's dime is a testament of their value.)

If it were my coin I would spend the money to have it certified and would put it in my registry set. Even though this one has been known for many years I think they are at least as rare of the newly discovered 1919 DDO, and look what one of those sold for.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin.... I think it may well go low MS... Good luck, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: astrorat
    Great advice from keyman64

Congrats!

And Rocco.image

• Options
    Just a quick follow-up on this dime, it graded MS62 (albeit NGC). I'm pretty stoked to have only the second MS example of this variety. In fact, several years ago I had it in a 2x2 at the LB show with a list price of $14 on it. Thank goodness no one paid much attention to it!!
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a quick follow-up on this dime, it graded MS62 (albeit NGC). I'm pretty stoked to have only the second MS example of this variety. In fact, several years ago I had it in a 2x2 at the LB show with a list price of $14 on it. Thank goodness no one paid much attention to it!!

gratz and ty for update.

did ngc attrib it?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Yes

001 1941 DDO FS-101 10C MS 62
  • Options
    Yes

Congrats on the grade....even if it is ngc. I would cross it until it crosses.

• Options
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN
    Yes

Congrats on the grade....even if it is ngc. I would cross it until it crosses.

I was thinking that might be a good idea but not sure whether to spend the time doing it or just flip the coin and move on.
  • Options
    davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2018 11:01PM

I just found this NGC MS-67 Full Bands. I was just going through my dimes. I have the images posted ATS. Mine is 2 grades higher than highest known and full bands! I will post more pictures tomorrow.

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please do post pictures... You are talking about a '41 DDO right?? Cheers, RickO

• Options

I posted some updated images on here in a different post. I also sent the photos to James wiles. Thanks all!

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• Options

@davids5104 said:
    I posted some updated images on here in a different post. I also sent the photos to James wiles. Thanks all!

I'm pretty sure Wiles will want the coin in hand to make a positive attribution. I have never been able to get him to act on a pic. Just saying.

• Options

I have been waiting on some more feedback on the posted images to decide how to proceed.

Roosevelt Registry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file