Home U.S. Coin Forum

1802 Drapped Bust Half Cent Help?

...so my buddy brings me his box of coins that his pops and grandpops had accumulated over the last couple generations. Lots of junk silver and such with also some silver notes as well. One cool item was his pops service dog-tags from the Korean conflict that also had a 1921 Morgan attached to the chain. Anyways, long story short, at the bottom of the box...in a Sucrets tin sits this coin. Any help would be appreciated as to authenticity, grade ext. I told him that I would send anything he had of value to PCGS for him if he wants. So what does he have here fella's???

edit to add new pictures...

Comments

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no more an expert than you.

Nice find if it's real. Looks ok to me.

2nd reverse.

Grade? G4?

Interested to hear from someone sure of themselves.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty cool find if legit. The ones I've seen have always been dark and corroded.
    Hopefully BillJones or some of the copper guys will be along soon to help out.
    Edited to add - tried to do some research from my old catalogs, but none of them have
    photos of the 1802...

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good to me, quite a nice find. The reverse on these is usually very weak, as is your coin.

• msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    Still a cool find, but looks like the Reverse of 1802 to me (I'm not an expert by any stretch though)...would have been an amazing find if it had the Reverse of 1800.
    Yes, it's the rev. of 1802, still a very popular date.

I actually found a 1802/0 rev of 1800 in a dealer's junk box at the Central States Show in 1994 or thereabouts.

Sold it immediately for a nice score!
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good to me from photos. I'm no expert, but the 2 in the date has a peculiar placement and shape that match the photos on CoinFacts. I certainly think its worth slabbing. With a straight G4 grade (looks about right), they're trading around $700. Even if put in a details holder it would still probably bring $300 or so. Neat find.
    Maybe it's the lighting in the photo, but is the coin slightly bent?

Hope not, otherwise looks to have g06 details.
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mannie gray
    Maybe it's the lighting in the photo, but is the coin slightly bent?
    Hope not, otherwise looks to have g06 details.

Thanks all for the replies. The coin is not bent IMO. I am stoked for him and can't wait to send it in!

• LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Looks to me like it's a Cohen 2 1802/0, 5 berries left, Half Cent,

six berries right, with the lower left serif of all the T's lacking.

Top left leaf under E and right top leaf under S.

Only two rev dies & one obv die. C-1 is the rev of 1800 .

This is an R.3 and looks like a G-6, or 8, as most are found in

low grades. Actually this rev looks pretty good & may be State III.

These were believed to have been struck on spoiled cent stock.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
    Originally posted by: LoveMyLiberty

Looks to me like it's a Cohen 2 1802/0, 5 berries left, Half Cent,
    six berries right, with the lower left serif of all the T's lacking.
    Top left leaf under E and right top leaf under S.
    Only two rev dies & one obv die. C-1 is the rev of 1800 .

This is an R.3 and looks like a G-6, or 8, as most are found in
    low grades. Actually this rev looks pretty good & may be State III.

These were believed to have been struck on spoiled cent stock.

...you guys rock over here on CU! Less than 12 hours after we find it and this much info gathered already! Very Cool image

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Definitely a C-2 worth aprox. 300 bucks. Nice coin for the grade.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is legit and no need to send it in for slabbing. That coin is just as liquid raw as slabbed.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find.... and great responses from forum members.... Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice pick up image
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find!

I don't collect half cents but it seems to me this is probably worth a lot more than $300. This G6 sold for $1116 at HA a couple years ago.

OP's friend's coin looks like a solid G6. A shame about some new light scratches and tics on the reverse. At least they're minor.

Lance.
  • jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    definitely won't straight grade. definitely called cleaned with the hairlines on obverse
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it has a good chance of grading.

Lance.
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin
    Great find!

I don't collect half cents but it seems to me this is probably worth a lot more than $300. This G6 sold for $1116 at HA a couple years ago.

OP's friend's coin looks like a solid G6. A shame about some new light scratches and tics on the reverse. At least they're minor.
    Lance.

...it's going in for grading and TrueView. I can't resist, I'll pay the cost myself if I have to. Got an offer for $300 via PM from a forum member here already image After slabbing I will update this thread with results. I'm not sure the owner wants to sell it. This thread is also not intended to sell it either. If owner sells it, it will sell in the wild most likely. Thanks again for all the help guys!
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find! And the information you have received is correct, it is an 1802, reverse of 1802.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    Great find! Actually it is better then most! The suggested value of $300 is way low. If anyone here wants to sell me one in the same condition for $300, I will buy all you have.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find

I like the planchet on this coin.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file