Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This should be illegal......talk about deceptive!!!!!!

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
Like you are going to get a coin like this.....and using the PCGS logo!!

LINK

Comments

• Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 997 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, doesn't say ANYWHERE that the coin in the photo either IS or ISN't the coin you will receive. SHAME ON THEM
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 997 ✭✭✭
    Check out their other listings. Medical equipment........seems like a safe company.
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's using the stock example image from eBay. He's certainly going to end up getting a SNAD.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprised you would be looking in that end of the pool.

PCGS would have to get involved because they own the copy-write to the image.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    possibly very misleading. the assumption is that the coin you will receive is the one in the photos, but that is not likely, nor stated anywhere.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Coin detail information and example images provided courtesy of Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS). All Rights Reserved."

EXAMPLE IMAGE! So, I guess an G-XF example will be shipped to you then. Ugh
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    While the default for eBay is to use PCGS's images when a Coin Number is Provided, I think it should not be allowed in the Primary Photo Section of a coin listing. Those images should appear in the "Details" Section of the listing.

Having said that, I don't see the problem with this particular image since the coin sold for only $1.50.

Obviously the seller is new (or at least the account is new) so maybe s/he doesn't have the capability for decent coin photographs?? (Yeah, I know, thats a very thin excuse.)
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    To some people, a coin is just a coin.

When he did the listing, he looked up the coin in eBay's PCGS database and used the default picture along with their description.

He's got a new one without a picture

I don't know how he was able to list without at least one photo?
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    any kid with a chemistry set can produce colors like that.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Says Stock Photo under the coin.

Still, an absolute rip off attempt.

Some people have no shame.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought it.. I'll post photos when it arrives.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Seems like a lot of angst over a coin that sold for scrap value (90% or junk silver). You can buy the same coin from APMEX, or most other bullion dealers for $1.45, or 5 cents less if you pay with PayPal. Of course APMEX will charge you $5.00 for shipping. image
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as they get a 1962-D Dime.......there is no statement its a stock photo or as to grade. I just wonder how he is making any money on that assuming he is in it at BV. A buyer would have be a wanderer down the garden path believing he is going to get a BU at that. Many of the big modern dealers use stock photos on slabbed AGE, ASE and there is no mention by many of them photo is a stock photo.

The problem I have with him is the use of a PCGS owned photo. The coin has a BV of $1.14, even if its a circ he is selling it cheap. However doesn't ebay give them the option of using the PCGS stock photo?
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

I didn't have a problem with the price. Just the pic and PCGS photo. He is just trying to give the buyer the idea they are getting a beautiful toned unc coin.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DollarAfterDollar
    Says Stock Photo under the coin.

Still, an absolute rip off attempt.

Some people have no shame.

It is eBay supplied, you should sue them

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do people make such a big deal. It's a silver dime for a buck fifty. Really. Don't think anyone is getting such a bad deal
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ScarsdaleCoin

Why do people make such a big deal. It's a silver dime for a buck fifty. Really. Don't think anyone is getting such a bad deal

It appears to be the improper use of a trade mark.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Long thread for a coin selling for 40 cents over melt value. Sure it's a bit shady. Buy any stocks/real estate/cars/firearms/silver spoons lately?
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jtlee321

He's using the stock example image from eBay. He's certainly going to end up getting a SNAD.

Yep. When the seller selects a particular coin with eBay's listing software then a stock image from PCGS appears in your listing. I always delete the stock image.

This is eBay's error.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be $.40 here, $3 or $4 there, it adds up. In general, I think stock photos for coins is inexcusable and shouldn't be permitted. I ran across a seller with two 1936 cents for $4 each and they 'happened' to have a 1936 doubled die pictured. I am sure they were trying to get a quick $8 from someone who would jump on them, then subsequently decide that $8 is not worth a SNAD or return. I asked them if the photo was of the coin they were selling and they said it was a "photo from google search". Garbage. I wonder if that listing is still up...

Originally posted by: VanHalen

Yep. When the seller selects a particular coin with eBay's listing software then a stock image from PCGS appears in your listing. I always delete the stock image.

This is eBay's error.

Agreed.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

I didn't have a problem with the price. Just the pic and PCGS photo. He is just trying to give the buyer the idea they are getting a beautiful toned unc coin.

He is not trying to do that , he is trying to get a new account up and running by selling dimes one at a time. He needs 25 transactions to get them to stop holding his money and he doesn't want to wait months to get them.

The shipping is 75 cents , he is just putting them in an envelope with a stamp .

He can sell you a dime for 2.25 total and if you complain tell you to keep the foolish thing and refund you .

Silver Roosies slabbed or not , circ , uncirc blast white or rainbow colored they are all only melt value

If you look you can see examples of feedback trading or feedback buying all over ebay.

heres one right here

wheat penny for 1 cent local pickup only

obviously no one goes to get the thing. The seller pays paypal and ebay fees for a 1 cent sale and the buyer leaves them a positive feedback.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it is just a dime. Yes, it is only $1.50 (plus shipping). However, the picture is certainly

misleading and, if I were the buyer and expected a tarnished coin, I would be upset. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

You have absolutely no idea what this seller is thinking. You would like to think you do but you don't.

(SP)
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: kiyote
    I bought it.. I'll post photos when it arrives.

good luck with that.
  • Options

Looks like I have struck a sour note here with a few members. I DO see all kinds of tricks being pulled on ebay coin auctions by some, but overall I love looking thru dimes on ebay.

That said......I will NEVER EVER by a coin from a stock photo or those that say 1 of something...meaning you will not get the coin in the pic. I automatically click out of those.

I wish there was something in the selected list stating these types of auctions so I could go on by and not have to waste time clicking to and then out of those auctions!
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like I have struck a sour note here with a few members. I DO see all kinds of tricks being pulled on ebay coin auctions by some, but overall I love looking thru dimes on ebay.

That said......I will NEVER EVER by a coin from a stock photo or those that say 1 of something...meaning you will not get the coin in the pic. I automatically click out of those.

I wish there was something in the selected list stating these types of auctions so I could go on by and not have to waste time clicking to and then out of those auctions!

If there is an option that makes it easier to exclude items you don't want in a search its there by mistake and once eBay finds out about it its going to be gone .

You just take what Best Match serves up and like it. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file