Home U.S. Coin Forum

Article on Steven Duckor by Beth Deisher

Here is an article I just finished reading on Steven Duckor in the HA sponsored magazine Intelligent Collector

Won't take too long to read and is worth a few minutes:

Read Online or download PDF here

edited to add: article starts on pg. 58

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent article...thanks ....Cheers, RickO
  • GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing !
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good article, but much of the advice is, well, not really relevant to us mere mortals without medical doctor salaries. I am not poor by any stretch of the imagination, and I have a very good paying job. But, with all due respect to Dr. Duckor, it's easy to be an "intelligent collector" when you have an annual 6 (or more) figures of disposable income to throw at coins.

I'm not going to take out a mortgage on my house to purchase a coin -- I find that to be ill-conceived advice no matter what the coin. The advice I've heard, that is more reasonable and logical (again to those of us who are mere mortals), is to buy the best you can afford.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great article and words to live by.

I am amazed by the Early (1916-1933) Walker collection that the good doctor is currently building.

He is only missing the 19-D and one other coin.

Many were acquired at the Eric Lane sale (Cajun Collection).

His collection is on it's way to being the #1 set and also the all time finest.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One could have taken the same approach as Dr. Duckor did 45 years ago and rather than a monster Gem BU set of Barber halves, do a problem-free and totally original set of XF/AU Barber halves. It probably would have been just as challenging, taken decades, and likely to have seen the key and semi-key dates advance quite nicely over the years...and best of all, you didn't need to have to spend 6 figures a year on your set.

There are multiple ways to buy the best. Though I would also admit that over the past 25 years, the only coins that have advanced at all are Duckor's finest known/pop tops pieces and quality F-AU circs of better dates.

I agree with his idea that there's nothing wrong with stopping at 2 coins out a 20 coin set if the other 18 are never available in the quality you seek. Don't force 18 sub-standard specimens to fit. If they don't exist, find another set. Filling "every" hole is over-rated. It comes down to the sum of all the best coins - not that all coins, regardless of quality/grade are represented.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    Glad everyone seemed to have enjoyed the article. I found it interesting and really would love to collect only the best of the best, but my wallet nor my wife would allow.

I've progressed over the last 4-5 years since I started collecting and wouldn't now buy many of the coins I did just a few years ago.

I'm not sure I'll ever be a "best of the best" buyer so for now I'll fall into brg5658's camp - buy the best you can afford.
    A few questions from the article:

1) Dr. Duckor seems to have made a decision to collect most coins in gem or better. There are many coins that do not come that way. It obviously has worked amazingly for the dr. Do most people agree (if they had the financial wherewithal) that is the way to go or would you be open to coins that may be population one but are MS-62 or even AU 58?

2) Dr. Duckor seems to be comfortable buying a relatively common coin with a top grade (i.e. ms-68) over a rarity that is MS-62 and pop 1. Is this contrary to conventional wisdom that I hear to avoid common coins in uncommon grades?

3) I love reading how the Dr. bought the 1920-S for $80,000 and sold for 1.725 million or the 1907-S half for $8500 and sold for $125,000. Is that kind of coin appreciation still out there (and feel free to guess where such bargains are)

Again, terrific article and congratulations to Dr. Duckor on all of his accomplishments.
    Maybe I should have started a new thread with my questions. Thought I would bump this thread to see if it gets any responses. Thanks
  • yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2019 12:17PM

The good doctor found his secret sauce.

Something most great collections share.

Quality, passion, patience, advisors, and time.

I think it also helps to be a contrarian vs conventional wisdom.

I have the contrarian part but lack all the other qualities ...lol

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old thread but timely for me. I had the opportunity to meet Dr Duckor and share some time with him and several other rare gold collectors one evening at the recent FUN show. Not only is he a great collector, he is a fine gentleman as well.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I won the lottery, the first thing I would do (coin-related) would be to drop $1MM on colonials, almost none (or maybe none) would be anything like a gem.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

This type of purchasing is great for the hobby but why do decent appealing coins in 'next to highest grade' continue to lose value and even sell for astonishingly low prices. Does anyone want them ?

• This article on Dr. Amazing has changed my outlook on collecting! The one comment in particular : "Don't buy with the thought 'I'll upgrade'. Wait until the right coin comes along". Another one that is essential is finding the right people to help. Dr. Duckor puts it this way; "You have to find somebody you can trust that is knowledgeable . Make sure you feel comfortable, that it is a comfortable fit.". It has taken a while but I have an excellent team helping me. And finally the most difficult but essential message is his mantra; "Buy the very best, stretch to buy it. As a perfectionist and one who enjoys beautiful coins, this article was critical to set me on the correct path to collecting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file