Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

email ad from a leading numismatic dealer

i receive an ad from a dealer selling shipwreck currency. a silver certificate and a 1,000 lire note, from the andrea doria

for only $325 link

browsing their website further, I see this:

link

a bit more than midway down I see: "Avoid buying heavily promoted or exclusive items like shipwreck coins"

.........seems a bit ironic

regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Comments

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    All I can say is image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does seem ironic, but the paragraph says they recommend waiting until the hype dies down before purchasing these items. Pretty sure the initial hype has died down on most of the shipwreck coins and any premiums left are somewhat less substantial than from initial offerings. Although I didn't look for the coins they were offering to confirm

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bigjpst
    It does seem ironic, but the paragraph says they recommend waiting until the hype dies down before purchasing these items. Pretty sure the initial hype has died down on most of the shipwreck coins and any premiums left are somewhat less substantial than from initial offerings. Although I didn't look for the coins they were offering to confirm

You are right; the website doesn't say not to buy the coins ever but to "wait until the promotion is over and buy these coins once the excitement settles down."
  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems very weird to me but who knows
    New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good message that makes the point about hype and flipping fever..... In most cases,

a judicious waiting period will result in substantial savings. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They forgot to add "from anyone else but us".

Editing.................
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DollarAfterDollar
    They forgot to add "from anyone else but us".

Editing.................

Someone there had a lapsed moment of truth.. writing what they are actually thinking .. good warning

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in a single Andrea Doria note as I collect Ocean Liner memorabilia. I don't need 2 of them, though.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I find this stuff really cool.

However, given that they probably chose the two best examples for their ad, the remaining notes may not have quite as much meat left to them.

Cheers

Bob
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    i wouldn't expect much of paper that has been submerged in the sea for any extended length of time
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file