Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first crossover and maybe the prettiest steel cent around.

CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just sent this in for a crossover. My first attempt. It first went in at PCGS and got genuined for questionable color (lacquered). I sent to NGC and it cam back MS67. I just successfully crossed it at PCGS. MS67. It looks good in the trueview but even better in hand. What are your opinions?

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you remove the lacquer? Acetone??

Beauty for sure.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A toned steel cent is extremely rare. Congrats!

PM me if you feel like selling it image
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    I like ol' Abe on this one. image

Mike
  • Options
    DuPapaDuPapa Posts: 495 ✭✭
    .. got PCGS genuined for questionable color ... then successfully crossed it at PCGS. MS67 ...

... If I ruled the world, you'd be refunded for the "questionable color" submission... which is now Unquestionable color
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm...the obverse sure has a lot going for it.

Shift Doubling on the OBV (lower portion of TRUST) and REV Lettering, especially the "U" in UNITED.

Die Chip in front of Abe's Chin.

Not bad at all!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DuPapa
    .. got PCGS genuined for questionable color ... then successfully crossed it at PCGS. MS67 ...

... If I ruled the world, you'd be refunded for the "questionable color" submission... which is now Unquestionable color

I'll bet that would get coins graded right the first time! I wish you ruled!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unusual...but congratulations on the grade and a nice coin. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats. i like the coin. store it properly!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to see this in-hand.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dimefreak has/had an NGC MS67 that also failed PCGS grading due to lacquer. The only difference was it didn't cross.

imageimage
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw that on CoinFacts and is definitely the darkest MS steelie I've seen graded. There will be lots of interest in it!
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you did well with that. congrats on the 67 grade
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob, that 43-D looks like an oil slick reverse. Questionable for sure, but pretty!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    I didn't touch the coin to remove anything. It simply hasn't been lacquered. PCGS obviously felt the same the second time around. The fact it was already in an NGC slab probably didn't hurt.
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin!
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! PCGS -->NGC-->PCGS ... your patience paid off!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking Coin!
  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very pretty
    New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have had these before with a faint pink pastel tone, but never seen one with color this deep before. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CommemKing
    I didn't touch the coin to remove anything. It simply hasn't been lacquered. PCGS obviously felt the same the second time around. The fact it was already in an NGC slab probably didn't hurt.

So NGC graded it correctly the first time and PCGS didn't... Why such a desire to switch holders again after NGC?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: spacehayduke

So NGC graded it correctly the first time and PCGS didn't... Why such a desire to switch holders again after NGC?

Best, SH

"We" drink the Kool-Aid and "we" like our coins in the right holder no matter what. image
  • Options
    As you can see I tried PCGS first. They are my preferred grading company for a number of reasons. Plus I wanted a Trueview.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty Lincoln but not so rare with color. This 67 in just over the top beautiful. Great coin for sure!!image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting as without heat or chemical interaction how does steel tone image

I have UNC steel P/D/S set cents in kraft envelopes stored since 1979-1980.

They should be rainbow toned a few times over by now, but show no color.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That could easily be the best looking steel cent ever.

I would be proud to call it mine.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof that steel can tone before it rusts.
  • Options
    I think it might be on the BST soon. Still don't have it back from PCGS yet. I'm telling you it's better in hand. Might be the finest ever. At least that I have seen.
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the lousy angled light infused image but here's one that PCGS also bodybagged for lacquer.

I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    FYI, look on the BST forum. This baby is up for sale.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

....and, this is what is called SPAM and most don't appreciate.

You want to show a nice coin in the USCF, show it.

You want to sell it, put it on the BST.

Many do not like when someone puts a coin up on the USCF to get interest and then either tries to sell it there or have it up at same time for sale somewhere.

I'm sure some will come to attack me for pointing this out, but there was a time that people tried to stay very clean on this.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bochiman

....and, this is what is called SPAM and most don't appreciate.

You want to show a nice coin in the USCF, show it.

You want to sell it, put it on the BST.

Many do not like when someone puts a coin up on the USCF to get interest and then either tries to sell it there or have it up at same time for sale somewhere.

I'm sure some will come to attack me for pointing this out, but there was a time that people tried to stay very clean on this.
    image It is one thing to post a coin that you got graded but to come back and bump the thread for a sale on the BST Not good..............Enjoy image

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    You guys just bumped the thread. image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys just bumped the thread. image

And you're proving to be someone I wouldn't want to deal with for a transaction.

Being somewhat new, you may not have known about how many feel about the spamming, but your attitude afterwards shows you really don't care.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I'm not new around here. Been here since 2006. I'm sorry about the offhandedly spam. I apologize. I will no longer plug this coin in this thread.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file