Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1869 Bolen Storecard (grade/image posted) -- a New pickup, updating older thread...

mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 7, 2017 9:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum
Hi all, this posted overnight...MS63. I struggled imaging it through a scuffed up NGC holder but out of the holder Phil did a nice job. Thought I'd share...

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love it! What a beauty!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Very nice
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice image..... thanks...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice looking!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a beautiful 1869 storecard!

If it hasn't shipped back to you as yet, you might give PCGS customer service a call, as it looks like they gave it the wrong label description. It shows up as "(1867) Token Rulau Ma-Sp-43D WM J.A. Bolen."

I happened to recognize this, as I was the one that submitted this just recently:

This one actually IS the 1867 White Metal Ma-SP-43D J.A. Bolen token.

• Options
    Originally posted by: cardinal

That's a beautiful 1869 storecard!

If it hasn't shipped back to you as yet, you might give PCGS customer service a call, as it looks like they gave it the wrong label description. It shows up as "(1867) Token Rulau Ma-Sp-43D WM J.A. Bolen."

I happened to recognize this, as I was the one that submitted this just recently:

This one actually IS the 1867 White Metal Ma-SP-43D J.A. Bolen token.

Thanks! I called them yesterday and told them they had the wrong one. I don't know if they'll fix it. We will see, I'll let you guys know...
  • Options
    Thanks! I called them yesterday and told them they had the wrong one. I don't know if they'll fix it. We will see, I'll let you guys know...

I've had a few labeling errors over the years, so I'm sure they will fix it! (BTW, I have a Bolen 1869 storecard in to PCGS for grading as well, so hopefully that one gets the correct label!)
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    Here's my 1869 card, ex Boyd-Ford via one of Bowers & Merena's 1985 auctions (and much later from Steve Hayden to me).

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DCW
    Love it! What a beauty!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice....that 1869 set of everything just keeps growing and growing.
  • Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the look of that coin! It has a cameo appearance.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2017 6:24PM
    @ironmanl63 I love the look of that coin! It has a cameo appearance.

Yeah, it's PL for sure. Totally original, it was in an old NGC holder (MS64), I crossed it to PCGS to add it to my 1869 set.

And also, they fixed the label/coin info to the correct info (thanks again to those that caught the error).
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2017 9:16PM

Picked this up today at the NH Coin Expo. While it's not an 1869, I simply couldn't resist... I think I might be tempted to become a Bolen collector :naughty:

• Options

Since this thread started, my 1869 Storecard got graded and imaged:

This one was struck on a silvered, white-metal planchet.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2017 6:38AM

@cardinal I really like your pice, some day I will have to add it to my 1869 set ;)

I am reading Neil's book... I met him yesterday, bought his book, and he signed it for me. He is really a nice and knowledgable guy. I killed 30-45 mins with him like it was a blink of an eye.

The piece I bought is scarcer than my other 2 Bolen pieces. Only 14 were made of the JA-23 in copper (the Antiquarians piece)

I will be getting another piece soon -- one of which 5 pieces were made. I saw it yesterday but wasn't sure I wanted to pull the trigger on it (because of cost), but I slept on it and kept thinking about it and the fact that I was still thinking about it put me over the hump. I reached out to Neil this morning and we agreed on the coin (he will be sending it to me Monday).

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice piece..... Where is Broadstruck??? He usually chimes in on these...have not seen him post in a while....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@mercurydimeguy said:

@cardinal I really like your pice, some day I will have to add it to my 1869 set ;)

I am reading Neil's book... I met him yesterday, bought his book, and he signed it for me. He is really a nice and knowledgable guy. I killed 30-45 mins with him like it was a blink of an eye.

The piece I bought is scarcer than my other 2 Bolen pieces. Only 14 were made of the JA-23 in copper (the Antiquarians piece)

I will be getting another piece soon -- one of which 5 pieces were made. I saw it yesterday but wasn't sure I wanted to pull the trigger on it (because of cost), but I slept on it and kept thinking about it and the fact that I was still thinking about it put me over the hump. I reached out to Neil this morning and we agreed on the coin (he will be sending it to me Monday).

That awesome that you got to meet Neil! I have not had that pleasure yet, but I do have a few copies of his book, and a few pieces from his collection.

This is the piece pictured on the front cover of Neil's book:

• Options
    edited May 7, 2017 8:49AM

@cardinal you're killin' me, your pieces are just plain awesome.

The one I just posted came from Neil's collection (he was rummaging through his boxes and pulled out a few pieces to show me). It's still in a flip. The one I have coming is also from his collection ... I'll post it when I receive it.

• Options

This is one of the rare Bolen medals - Washington's letter to Hamilton, struck in silver (one of six known, of perhaps 8 struck), Ex: Garrett Collection:

And this is one of the "common" ones, struck in white metal (one of 14 struck):

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file