Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need opinions on a Great Britain Crown I won off eBay

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
I saw this coin. I looked up the Krause value. I bid less than 50% of Krause. I won the coin. I know it has a few marks on it. Did I pay too much for it? I've always loved this design but this is the most I've paid for a coin in a long while. It does have a 14 day return privilege.

1820 Crown NGC XF40

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marks don't bother me any, I think it's a lovely coin and considering what usual XF go for I think it's a great deal.

If I had the $ I would pay what you did and be happy. But then again I am not a condition snob that goes for MS this and that. F-EF is more my area.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller (Resco) is Russ of the accent hair Kennedy fascination a few years back. I think something happened so he lost his taste for coin collecting, but IIRC he was always a straight shooter. He also does a big consignment business so I'm sure he would honor the return privliges.

That said, I have no idea about the coin series, but it is an uber cool design. No idea on value, but unless you plan to resell soon, does it matter if it's an okay vs good vs screaming hot deal? Half catalog makes me think it's unlikely to be a BAD deal, so if you enjoy the coin in hand, then enjoy!

Stork-the-Enabler aka Cathy

Edited to add: Catalog $825 and another one is listed at $800. I'm guessing you did good enough image

• Options
    Thanks guys, and Cathy.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I edited as you were typing...I suspect you did well

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    +1 the other comments. I also think this is a great design on both sides with a ton of detail remaining on the portrait. Despite the obverse marks, the coin presents very well.

Congrats.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Not sure what caused the marks, but it looks ok for an XF40, I think you did just fine.
  • Options
    This coin and the Gothic Florin (Crown) are my two favorite circulating GB designs. Now I'll have to find a nice Florin to go along with this one.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great example!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JCMhouston

Not sure what caused the marks, but it looks ok for an XF40, I think you did just fine.

100% agree with JCM.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stork

The seller (Resco) is Russ of the accent hair Kennedy fascination a few years back. I think something happened so he lost his taste for coin collecting, but IIRC he was always a straight shooter. He also does a big consignment business so I'm sure he would honor the return privliges.

That said, I have no idea about the coin series, but it is an uber cool design. No idea on value, but unless you plan to resell soon, does it matter if it's an okay vs good vs screaming hot deal? Half catalog makes me think it's unlikely to be a BAD deal, so if you enjoy the coin in hand, then enjoy!

Stork-the-Enabler aka Cathy

Edited to add: Catalog $825 and another one is listed at $800. I'm guessing you did good enough image

Cathy makes excellent comments, and personally I had no idea that the seller was Russ. Then again, if you spend so many years collecting ascent hair Kennedy halves, how can you NOT lose your interest in collecting? image

On the other hand I think I understand what Don is trying to say. Personally I do not care what Krause says, perhaps ALL XF40 crowns (ie VF-gVF in reality) of that date are selling at around that price in no reserve auctions in the US by sellers with an excellent rep. So the question is more or less up to Don to reply.

If he were living in London, he'd certainly have had more chances to sell it for more because in England, Spink is their Bible.

If you think that you can resell it in a week, a month, or 6 months from today, by yourself or by consigning it, at a small profit, or getting even, or worst case scenario losing a 5%-10%, then go ahead and consider the (potential) loss as some kind of "rent" that you paid in order to keep a favorite design of yours for X period of time. I recall times that you had this coin in aG-VG grades.

Finally, if you already have doubts about it, generally it's not a good sign. Your gut, or the voice of Kelly in your head, or your balance sheet is trying to tell you something. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Agree with Cathy the enabler image half book value tells me it's probably just an outdated book value. If you had been the only bidder, or one of two, or the bid was exceedingly low, then I would be thinking twice. But it's slabbed by a reputable firm so ... you should feel confident enough in the grade.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

Finally, if you already have doubts about it, generally it's not a good sign. Your gut, or the voice of Kelly in your head, or your balance sheet is trying to tell you something

+1. We've all been there and time is not likely to make you feel better (altho sometimes things work out). Your OP suggests that you like the coin itself and I do agree that it's a pretty, well detailed coin. The price seems reasonable/realistic so probably not a lot of risk regardless of what you decide.

Hope it works out...

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    I received the coin. It is nicer in person IMO. The marks, while still noticeable, are not as bad as in the auction image.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don