Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Most Desirable (Macabre) Relic Medal?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 14, 2017 4:51PM in U.S. Coin Forum
I like relic medals and especially the ones that say they are made of metal from some other object.

Just ran across this macabre relic medal which I thought was extremely neat. I've never seen one before in years of searching.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like relic medals too. This one is interesting. What's on the other side?

Edited to add: I see it now on eBay. The other side is blank.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is another story about a similar (square) medallion;

"According to the auction lot description, " Lincoln's coffin was moved countless times between 1865 and 1901 while at Oak Ridge Cemetery in Springfield. We believe this relic dates from September 26, 1901 when Lincoln's coffin was exhumed a final time, the lead coffin liner cut away, positive identification made by 23 people, the coffin resealed, placed in a metal cage and covered with cement. We can recall but a single auction appearance (a "Railsplitter" auction) which is likely the source of this item. It was hotly contested at the time."

http://www.coinworld.com/news/...on-of-lincolniana.html

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that is different... first I have heard of relic medals. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I recall the token mentioned in the Dow Auction went for like $5k. It was the same as the one in the OP, but square. Perhaps it was a trial strike as it had the circular design in the middle.
    Very neat

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just saw the listing, and the seller wants $8k. He also calls the other piece which sold at Heritage a trial piece in base medal. I'm not sure that is correct. It may be a trial strike as I suggested in my earlier post, but it was advertised and sold as a relic from the lead liner of Lincoln's coffin by Heritage. It also came from a prominent collection.
    It also was a lot nicer...and significantly cheaper.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file