Home U.S. Coin Forum

2016 National Park Service Commemoratives (16CA, 16CB, 16CC, 16CD, 16CE, 16CF, 16CG)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
The 2016 NPS Commems will be released March 24, 2016 @ Noon Eastern. By law, they will go off-sale on Dec 31, 2016.

Mintage:
100K $5 Gold
500K $1 Silver
750K 50¢ Clad

The three coin set will be limited to 15K units, with a household limit of 2. No other household limits on individual coins.

It was authorized Dec 19, 2014, in a defense bill...
Public Law Number 113-291

The coins will be offered in uncirculated and proof versions, and a 3-coin proof set will available (16CG). Like the Twain commem, the $1 and $5 will have varying degrees of frosting. Mint page links:

$5 Gold Proof (16CA, WP Mint)
$5 Gold Uncirculated (16CB, WP Mint)
$1 Silver Proof (16CC, P Mint)
$1 Silver Uncirculated (16CD, P Mint)
50¢ Clad Proof (16CE, S Mint)
50¢ Clad Uncirculated (16CF, D Mint)
3 coin proof set (16CC)

Pricing:
2016 100th Anniversary of the National Park Service Commemoratives
Type/finishIntroductory PriceRegular Price
Gold ProofPer the Mint PM schedule
Gold UncirculatedPer the Mint PM schedule
Silver Proof$45.95$50.95
Silver Uncirculated$44.95$49.95
Clad Proof$21.95$25.95
Clad Uncirculated$20.95$24.95
3-Coin Proof SetPer the Mint PM schedule
I'm having a hard time getting interested in these, though I do like Indy-like matching of the mountain to the NPS logo. I might be in for the 3-coin proof set. Maybe.

(And if you must know, I was backing up my machines and got bored, so I did this. image)

Comments

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice post BackroadJunkie. All the details needed.

Doesn't seem to be a ground swell of interest here. The designs are nice. I'm with you in that my coin budget may stay intact waiting for the gold Classic Designs release. The 3 coin Proof grouping is very tempting as I like those that have the coins all in one display holder.

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BackroadJunkie & Kudbegud

Looks like the two of you are the "heart" & "soul" of U.S. Comm's on the forum lately.

I usually purchase one of each of the silver's in 70 slabs, however for some reason the

look of the silver screams NO to me. I may have to pass on this one. Will have to see if some good pictures in hand can change my mind.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
    Guilty

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do not appeal to me.... and I have never seen the 'Old Faithful' geyser perform like that...

Cheers, RickO
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update to include the 3-coin set will be limited to 15K units, with a household limit of 2, priced per the mint precious metal schedule. (Original post updated.)
    Originally posted by: HATTRICK
    BackroadJunkie & Kudbegud
    Looks like the two of you are the "heart" & "soul" of U.S. Comm's on the forum lately.
    I usually purchase one of each of the silver's in 70 slabs, however for some reason the
    look of the silver screams NO to me. I may have to pass on this one. Will have to see if some good pictures in hand can change my mind.

Well, I'm not sure I would have put this post together if I was actually motivated to do real work while I was backing up all my system disks yesterday. image

I really do like the Twain commem, but these... I'd probably be more excited if we didn't just go through 17 years of FSQ and ATB quarters. I am a big TR fan, but am actually looking forward more to his National Park puck coming out later this year.

As Kudbegud stated, I'm more interested in the centennial gold. I'm already trying to decide if I'm going to have them graded or not. BWAHAhahahaha...

The mint finally put up the commemorative product pages. (Links in first post.)

Should gold remain above $1250, then the price will be:
    Commemorative Gold Uncirc: $412.60
    Commemorative Gold Proof: $417.60
    Commemorative 3-Piece Proof set: $478.60 (This saves you a whopping $6.90 if the coins are purchased separately. I just thought you should know. image)

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like the gold best. the rest of it does not appeal to me. just saying
  • bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dollar signs on the gold & silver makes them look cheap.
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    They will be lucky to break even on these coins.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass
    Prices Set

$5 Gold Proof = $400.45

$1 Silver Proof = $45.95

Clad Half Proof = $21.95

3 Coin Proof Set = $466.45

(A savings of a whopping $1.90 over individual purchase)

$5 Gold Unc = $395.45

$1 Silver Unc = $20.95

Clad Half Unc = $20.95

These are limited time discount prices

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    JFC.

Really?

This is the portrayal of a bison in front of Old Faithful?

Good Lord.

Looks like a billy goat with walrus flipper attached to the right leg.

They went on sale 15 minutes ago...

A funny thing happened in the effort to chase the flippers out of the market. Many of the buyers left with them. image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
    I have been buying all the silver commems. for years but passed on this one. I could not get past how ugly it looks.image
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks kinda like a tactical nuke.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file