Home Metal Detecting
Options

First digs of the year

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

It’s very early in the year for me, but I was hopeful to get a first few digs done on a beach. Everything else is still frozen solid.
I’ll warn you upfront that my photography won’t win any awards: I only had my cellphone, and it wasn’t able to focus properly for the most part

Hmm.. yes, it’s a bit early, but I believe there’s detectable ground a bit further out from here

Looking better already. This has been underwater the whole winter, so digging shouldn’t be a problem

It’s still chilly. Got some of my breath caught in this pic by mistake

I decided to pcgs69 my finds from this trip. That’s a verb, and means stashing away your finds without examining them in detail until you get home! image

The very first target was an iffy signal that turned out to be a very deep chunk of iron. Once the hole got “too deep”, I knew the target was likely too big to be a good one, but of course I couldn’t leave it in the hole.
The hole filled up with water, which was freezing cold. A rough start to the season!

Signals are somewhat scarce here, as I’ve hit the same ground dozens of times before.
In an attempt to get “everything”, I dug quite a few empty holes too.

After about 20 targets and 2 hours, I got my first coin of the year!
This is a few weeks earlier than usual.

I ended up with about 40 targets, 2 of which were coins.
Went back the next day and got another 40 targets (7 coins). I’m pleased to still get this many targets out of this hammered site.

Here’s a pic of everything I dug. A typical assortment, but it’s missing the one good find that pops up every once in a while.

There’s one 35% silver coin in there (largest coin, top middle), but’s it’s a modern one (1964) that I view as “participation trophy silver”, which doesn’t warrant any celebrations.
The small stuff in the middle is aggravating. Some of that crap is the size of match heads.

In any case, I’m glad to be back in business again. To be continued!

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... tough hunting.... but you did dig a lot of targets. I congratulate you on your diligence

under such adverse conditions. Thanks for showing us... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    wow that's a lot of big crusty stuff. And it looks like you've done a lot of digging there. Congrats on getting out too. See, the PCGS69 philosophy is put it away and check it out in detail when you get home. It'll be the same thing when you get home so why risk scratching it, and straining your eyes to get every little detail? Plus while you're checking out the object, the tide is coming in!
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to be dedicated to hunt in the cold like you do if if you hands get wet they have to be frozen. And I should add that all this is found in the dark of night image