Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Walker key date Black Beauty

WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
Funny you should ask about black beauties.

This is the closest that I've seen to a monster key date and grade Walker black beauty.

It only has a little white in the obverse center and the reverse is fully toned.

It is coming up in the HA Chicago auction. It is touted as 'unquestionably original, toned with rich, multicolored hues.'

Do you guys find it appealing and/or original?

What do you think it will sell for in today's market?

LINKY

It is too dark for my liking and has too many marks in the fields and devices but it is rather sharply struck, so many may like it. JMHO.

It probably looks better in the light and likely has some fiery blues, reds, greens and such, too.

It has been held for ten years and last appeared in an HA 2006 FUN show auction where it sold for $13,225.

I am super interested to see what it sells for this time around and I will be watching and waiting intently.

What are your thoughts?

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I consider that coin to be ugly and it's too far gone to ever be properly conserved. No CAC sticker for that coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan. Looks drab and lifeless.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Close to environmental damage.Bad,bad walker.
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The big thing it has going for it is that it appears to be hammered. For an MS coin, it's too dark for my tastes. Maybe for a VF or XF coin it would OK, minus the blast white center.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's just black, no beauty whatsoever as far as I can see and IMO.

Black Beauty should be reserved for truly, predominantly black. Usually Morgans (where we started calling such coins) with nice cartwheel luster. A true thing of beauty, if you're into that kinda thing.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See I kind of like it.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I LOVE it!
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such a fine line between toning and environmental damage sometimes. That one looks more ED than toned to me...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not my cup of tea...
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan either, though I love the date, and love original walkers.....

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That might be better in hand

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Not a true black beauty.A black beauty is struck on a planchet with extreme copperwash/migration or a sintered planchet.I'd call it heavily tarnished.
    Mark Anderson
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that it looks much different from it's contemporaries.

I'd be proud owning that tuff coin.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    "unquestionably original..."

Yes it is, but it's ugly.
  • Options
    The more I look at this and I couple others I've seen pictured like this I think it might look great in hand. Big jewel tone colors

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks quite well struck, though that could be an affect of the toning on the surfaces. I think I might like the obverse, but doubt much that I would like the reverse. Overall, this is too big a coin to purchase with this much of a specific look and limited pool of potential buyers. My guess would be also that CAC has declined to sticker the coin due to how dark it is and likely how much luster it has lost.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    It might look like this with proper photography color wise. Tom's interpretation is probably right about the reverse

mark

My coin was part of The Wheat Colleoction and I get offers on it religiously

JBN 67+ Color could be like this.

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    on its own merits,I like it...add a $13k price tag,I do not like it
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shame as that's one nice hand strike.

Sorry to say but that's near toast and no alternate photography without major juicing will make it look any livelier.

The almost terminal toning looks secondary on lack luster surfaces.

Since coins continue to tone once slabbed would like to see this one again in another 5 years to see how it's progressed?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at the 2006 listing in the HA archive, they took a decent picture of it in addition to the standard slab picture. The better picture actually shows the luster, and the slab picture looks pretty much like today's. Still too darkly toned for my taste.
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful strike.

Obverse may light up with cobalt blues near the date and surrounding areas under an intense light.

Reverse will likely stay earthtoned even under intense lighting.

I agree with others' observations that CAC likely did not pass the coin.

For me, when you get past the rainbow colors and discernible color progression (Mark's post's examples) and get into solely the earthtone colors, the coin becomes too dark.

Gotta love the strike, though.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Environmental Damage. No thanks.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    any toning premium probably will take a hit here
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like it either. One of the biggest problems I see with this coin is most people who collect and spend what the coin might sell for usually want their sets to match! Doubt a set with that look could be even near completed.
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    It's a nicely struck coin and the obverse blues are nice. But the dark earthy hues make the coin seem to far gone for that kind of money in my opinion.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't mind sleeping with her for a long time. Don't tell the new g/f please. image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like.

White coins are just white noise to me...when I walk into a show and all those blast white widgets begin assaulting my senses,

I start to feel this screaming boredom build, start scanning for the exits...lately, I just got to get

the h**l out...image
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I bet it looks better in the picture than in hand, but I have no first hand knowledge.
    Paul
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a bummer for a key date
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it got pulled out of fire ash. Kinda like it, kinda don't.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I like Walkers... I would walk away from that.... such a shame. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet it looks nice when the luster is showing!
    Chuck Norris approved image
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hammered for $11750 including juice.

The dark toning must've turned people off, as that price is very weak for a 1921-D near gem.

Despite being dark, IMHO I don't think that the coin was original but rather a re-tone.

No luster and way too many marks, as well.

I personally didn't like the coin for all of the above reasons.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way too dark ... so much so that I am tempted to call it a "problem" coin.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy it and dip it. image
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too dark for my personal taste but I do appreciate the strike and left thumb.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Priced appropriately for its grade given the negative eye appeal.

Any cheaper, I would have possibly considered it.

EDITED.......

I bought a 1916 walker in PCGS/CAC MS-66 OGH.... it was also an original well toned coin and bought it very cheap at Heritage FUN show in January 2015.

But then comparing my 1916 to this 1921-D, my opinion became even more negative of the 1921-D as it shows the bluish black colors near the obverse rims which really bothers me as evidence of an issue with this coin.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    At least it survived the fire without melting. image
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    I honestly think that is an AT job that did not look like that when it was first graded.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck

Shame as that's one nice hand strike.

Sorry to say but that's near toast and no alternate photography without major juicing will make it look any livelier.

The almost terminal toning looks secondary on lack luster surfaces.

Since coins continue to tone once slabbed would like to see this one again in another 5 years to see how it's progressed?

It will be a lot lighter and in a higher grade holder I would wager.

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    I would need to see that one in hand before bidding...

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not for me, pass.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    I pass, too.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love toning but that thing is lost forever with terminal toning.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file