Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Daniel Carr - 1916 Coins Centennial, SET OF 3, Brilliant Satin with Reeded Edge, One Troy Oz 999 SIL

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok folks, Daniel Carr has posted these on his website for those who do not like, or can't afford, the gold idea of the U.S. Mint on the Centennial Commemoratives.

The Satin version can be purchased individually; dime, quarter or half dollar. The Antiqued versions appear to be a set of three (at the moment).

https://02f1517.netsolst.........goldcoins.aspx

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting. I just ordered a set image
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He makes some neat stuff! image
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Satin has a set of 3.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    Wonder why Antiqued versions more than double Satin? Hard to made?
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the mintage of each set? Usually it's listed, but not seeing it within the description.

peacockcoins

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set...ordered one

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice design...they will compliment my 2013 Indian Head rounds. All we need now is a 2009 centennial Indian Lincoln. :-)
  • Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up, i'm in!
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    The antiqued set is gorgeous.
    Dan is a true artist!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info, I check the DC page every day, must have just added these.

(think I checked yesterday)

I believe D Carr had replied to a post a few days ago, that he was in the process of hardening the dies, then ready to begin minting them.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coins.... Dan does super work... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for the record, what is the thickness of one of these, just in case some future collector gets offered the legal tender coin design portion of one of these cut out and reeded? Are the obverse and reverse designs in coin alignment or medal alignment?

Of course, the cut-down piece could be sliced in half like a bagel and trimmed to the correct thickness and reassembled in the right die alignment, but I am sure that that will never happen.

He can get the necessary information here, off of the Internet of the future. Tell us, oh time traveler, do the Cubbies ever win a World Series?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats some neat stuff.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up. Ordered in spades

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link! I just bought the SLQ in Satin. I've never owned a D. Carr product before but have long admired his skill.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: RB1026

Thanks for the link! I just bought the SLQ in Satin. I've never owned a D. Carr product before but have long admired his skill.

You will be hooked. Enjoy

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: brendanlam

Wonder why Antiqued versions more than double Satin? Hard to made?

I spoke with him about this when he did our Glendale medals, and the cost is really due to the time. He does the antiquing by hand and tries to make sure he doesn't get any hairlines etc. The ones he did for us in both copper and silver antique look awesome in hand.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in ordered one set of each
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: braddick
    What is the mintage of each set? Usually it's listed, but not seeing it within the description.

so far:
    8 of the antique
    15 of the satin
    as per his web site
    http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_gold_list.htm
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    Wish list. A toned set

mark

• Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    In for a set of each, thanks for the heads-up!
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wishing I had bought one of the buffalo nickels when they were available... that would be an awesome 4-coin set.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Just for the record, what is the thickness of one of these, just in case some future collector gets offered the legal tender coin design portion of one of these cut out and reeded? Are the obverse and reverse designs in coin alignment or medal alignment?

Of course, the cut-down piece could be sliced in half like a bagel and trimmed to the correct thickness and reassembled in the right die alignment, but I am sure that that will never happen.

He can get the necessary information here, off of the Internet of the future. Tell us, oh time traveler, do the Cubbies ever win a World Series?

Thank you for not calling them coins, which of course, they're not.
    Robert
  • Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    Will these be really limited? Or strike to meet demand?
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    Originally posted by: cmerlo1
    I'm wishing I had bought one of the buffalo nickels when they were available... that would be an awesome 4-coin set.

This new set will probably drive up the prices on the Buffalo nickel variety as most collectors will want a set of four and not just three.

Logic would have it now is the best time to purchase on the secondary market rather than later.

peacockcoins

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought 2 sets of satin, thanks for the heads up! Does he usually do set mintage numbers, or just allow a order window?
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

Is there a mintage limit??
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Twobitcollector

so far:
    8 of the antique
    15 of the satin
    as per his web site
    http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_gold_list.htm

Wonder if Dan will mint more?
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CuKevinIs there a mintage limit??

Wonder if Dan will mint more?

I plan to have these available for a couple months and I will mint enough to fill the orders placed during that window. The similar 2013 Indian Head nickel centennial piece had a final mintage of about 2,000.

So far, I've only made a limited test run. I've got a bunch of silver blanks on order for more.

PS:
    The antique finish takes a fair amount of work by hand, one at a time. I priced them such that I won't end up making a lot of them. But I do like the look of the antiqued medals better than the brilliant satin.
  • Options

They have coin-flip orientation.

They are first struck in a collar, then broad-struck after that. The thickness of the central part can vary from one run to the next.

If someone were to somehow cut out the center, the thickness would most likely be fairly far off. It would also be 999 fine instead of 900.

If someone is really determined to pass off an altered item for fraudulent purposes, they will find some coin to do it with. To cut out one of my medals, sandwich it to get the proper thickness, and put reeding on the exposed edge, would require a lot more work than just altering existing genuine coins.
  • Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    Dan are you going to make a fantasy over strike for these coins ?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dcarr

They have coin-flip orientation.

They are first struck in a collar, then broad-struck after that. The thickness of the central part can vary from one run to the next.

If someone were to somehow cut out the center, the thickness would most likely be fairly far off. It would also be 999 fine instead of 900.

If someone is really determined to pass off an altered item for fraudulent purposes, they will find some coin to do it with. To cut out one of my medals, sandwich it to get the proper thickness, and put reeding on the exposed edge, would require a lot more work than just altering existing genuine coins.

Thank you.

The dime and half dollar images are probably safe, but that 1916 quarter image is going to be very tempting to certain people.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 1940coupe
    Dan are you going to make a fantasy over strike for these coins ?

Yes.
    Working on that now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman
    Wish list. A toned set

mark

Once I get into the bulk of the production, I might try that.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, hey, hey.....in for an antiqued set.......looks awesome !!!
  • Options
    Ok, I'm in for all 6. Now, how does a rookie get these slabbed? Thanks for any advice..
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Diggin4clams

Ok, I'm in for all 6. Now, how does a rookie get these slabbed? Thanks for any advice..

ANACS will certify/slab these and all Daniel Carr items, and there are no membership fees with ANACS. I have a couple items there now (Indian Nickel Centennials and Silver 1.5 Ounce Owl).

ANACS Submission Form
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Diggin4clams

Yes, ANACS! http://www.moonlightmint.com/anacs.htm

I plan to slab one set of my Centennials. But first, I'll call ANACS and confirm there's no problem with the Centennials size. Really helpful folks. (Definitely call 'em if you have any difficulty with their website.)

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    ICG slabs them too and their sturdier holders don't pop open as readily as ANACS.

peacockcoins

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a set of each. Now, can we send in some of the buffalo coins to have them antiqued?! image

I plan to attend the Baltimore coin convention and have ANACS slab most of my Daniel Carr coins. I mainly want to get them into something more secure.
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS slabs include labels specially-designed by Dan Carr.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    Originally posted by: jessewvu
    I picked up a set of each. Now, can we send in some of the buffalo coins to have them antiqued?! image

I plan to attend the Baltimore coin convention and have ANACS slab most of my Daniel Carr coins. I mainly want to get them into something more secure.

Not a bad idea as many of Dan's creations are now being counterfeited'
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do all the labels come with signatures on the back?
  • Options
    GhosOfRudyGhosOfRudy Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    in on this one.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since it seems all about the money, if you offer him enough, he would probably do it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, a bit mean-spirited there....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Bochiman

Since it seems all about the money, if you offer him enough, he would probably do it.

That's a head scratcher

mark
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan is a very reasonable person and business person. He will do what makes sense for his business then stop. I like his business model.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Bochiman

If it was all about money (greed) he'd run another batch of the 1964 Peace dollars as they'd once again likely sell out.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Good grief....another cheap shot trying to derail a thread.
    Poor form bochi, very poor form.imageisgust;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file