Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1897 Washington Silver Medal Help Needed

Hello. I have a George Washington Silver Medal with ribbon from the 1897 5th universal postal congress. I found the medal in the book medallic portraits of Washington 2nd edition but it only lists a bronze version. I have 2 questions.

1. I was told pcgs does not grade a medal with a ribbon on it. Therefore I would have to cut the ribbon in order for me to get it graded. If I have the medal graded, would I increase or decrease the overall value of the item because it is no longer in its original condition?

2. Does any body have any information about this medal, the value, how many were made, other books or websites about a silver version of this medal. The book I referenced only lists a bronze version so I need some help understanding what I have.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me.

Comments

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say leave it alone. Its appeal is to exonumists who usually prefer their exonumia whole and unadulterated.

Cheers

Bob
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I say leave it alone. Its appeal is to exonumists who usually prefer their exonumia whole and unadulterated."

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The silvered clasp that holds the medal pinches it in 2 spots below the rim and if removed will show two gouges on either side where it was located.

Best to just leave it as is since once removed the desire to own by others will diminish greatly.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found this:

915. (Philately) Washington Fifth Universal Postal Con-
    gress Member Medal, 1897; 1 7/16-inch (37.0mm) sil-
    ver. Obv Houdon bust Washington nude right. Rev 6-line
    inscription within wreath: member fifth universal Postal
    Congress Washington 1897. Struck by US Mint. Clam
    shell & swivel loop with ring. (Rulau-Fuld page 258,
    Baker N-678). Some edge dings, otherwise.
    EF. Scarce! 30.1 grams $150-180

and this at ANS search although not very helpful:

http://numismatics.org/collection/1968.20.5

Spink sold one July 2013 - Lot 361
    http://www.auction-net.co.uk/v...php?id=1631&offset=350

This talks about the sculptor
    http://www.medalartists.com/houdon-james-antoine.html

It's mentioned briefly on page 80 here as well:

https://books.google.com/books...2Washington%22&f=false
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please leave it as is. If you're planning to offer it any other way, you'll destroy the value of it as it was intended to be issued. 19th century U.S. Mint struck medals are of extraordinary interest to exonumia collectors like myself, but only when they are left as made and issued.

The Houdon portraits of Washington are far more popular in medallic form than those produced by Gilbert Stuart.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it exactly as is and forget about having it graded. Far too many of the badge medals from that era have been ruined by collectors trying to make them more appealing to straight medal collectors.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you take off clamp / ribbon you will probably get a damage / ex-jewelry from PCGS - will drop much more in value than what you hope to gain.
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    127 minted in silver by the Philadelphia Mint. There might have been more struck later on. None listed in bronze, but doesn't mean there aren't any.
  • Options
    Hello. Thank you for all the opinions and information about the medal that everyone suggested. I will keep the medal as it is. Thanks
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe you can find the gold example? It's in a small case.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinhunter15...Welcome aboard.... Good decision to keep it with the ribbon. Nice medal... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only mess around with this if your goal is to destroy its value.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2017 11:22AM

125 struck in silver at the Philadelphia Mint; 1 struck in gold. No bronze or copper pieces reported made. There were 121 delegates to the International Postal Congress. Four extras were made in case of damage or defect. Charles Barber designed and cut the dies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file